TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TCD746320 drive is failing ( showing errors on analysis). Is an image file for this unit available? If so, please advise method required to obtain it. Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the TCD746320 download Ok-unzipped and loaded it to a WD320 Hd. Installed in tivo and tried a bootup. Get the Welcome screen, after a few minutes, 3 panel lights flash, and the welcome screen reappears. Cannot get past this loop. I do not have the cable connected (a big hassle trying to hook it up)- don't think this matters. Any thoughts on what else to do/try?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you use DvrBARS to restore the image?
Yes, I used Drvbars with a USB 3.0 caddy ( at age 97, I find it hard work to open and cable drives). I realize the program was probably written to use motherboard sata, but I tried, and after several efforts, got the program to recognize my drive, and restore the image!

FWIW I later tried using the failed drive, and was able to "copy-restore" from it and it worked in the Tivo box! (I had been trying to use winmfs not realizing it only worked up to series 3.)

I no longer have the tivo box available for testing, but will keep your image in case I'm called upon to service the TCD746320 again!

Again, many thanks for your helpful words

Jack

· Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Glad the copy worked!

FYI: DvrBARS depends on Windows to recognize the drive, so USB docks should work fine as long as the necessary drivers are in place. The kicker is that it only scans the available drives once when the program first runs. If you plug in a new drive while it's already running, just exit and restart the program.

· Registered
2 Posts
First timer here upgrading (or repairing) a dead TiVo.

My TCD746320 died over the weekend as well - after moving it from one location to another. I bought a 2 TB disk and i used ddrescue (ross walker guide) and it did not work. The new HD in tivo made the amber, red and blue lights flash.

I see that I need an image , so if someone can send me one, I much appreciate it.

I would also appreciate some guidance here as I am using a laptop, can boot off the CD drive and using SATA-USB adapters to connect old and new HDDs to the laptop.

Mucho thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
6,467 Posts
First timer here upgrading (or repairing) a dead TiVo.

My TCD746320 died over the weekend as well - after moving it from one location to another. I bought a 2 TB disk and i used ddrescue (ross walker guide) and it did not work. The new HD in tivo made the amber, red and blue lights flash.

I see that I need an image , so if someone can send me one, I much appreciate it.

I would also appreciate some guidance here as I am using a laptop, can boot off the CD drive and using SATA-USB adapters to connect old and new HDDs to the laptop.

Mucho thanks in advance.
Image sent. Use DvrBARS to restore the image, and MFSTools 3.2 to expand it to the full 2TB. Both programs are in the Upgrade forum.

· GameTech
9 Posts
Thanks ggieseke:

Using an old six core AMD FX-6300 Windows 7 machine laying around. Took about 3 1/2 hours to image to drive with 'winmfs_beta9_3f.exe'.

Cleaned inside of TIVO with a small and large round soft brushes I use for cleaning dusty electrical boards.

Plugged 4TB drive into TIVO, after boot TIVO asked for ZIP Code then after 'get setup info' needed update and another reboot. The unit rebooted six to ten times before coming back to setup screen. Still had ZIP code info and asked to 'get setup info' one more time. Scanned for channels, loaded that info and went to 'TIVO Central'.

All told about an hour and a half for setup with antenna only.

Added together, in five hours to complete, all setting in a chair or walking aimlessly about.

I can not say enough about the 'Great' work you've done.

· Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Thanks ggieseke:

Using an old six core AMD FX-6300 Windows 7 machine laying around. Took about 3 1/2 hours to image to drive with 'winmfs_beta9_3f.exe'.

Cleaned inside of TIVO with a small and large round soft brushes I use for cleaning dusty electrical boards.

Plugged 4TB drive into TIVO, after boot TIVO asked for ZIP Code then after 'get setup info' needed update and another reboot. The unit rebooted six to ten times before coming back to setup screen. Still had ZIP code info and asked to 'get setup info' one more time. Scanned for channels, loaded that info and went to 'TIVO Central'.

All told about an hour and a half for setup with antenna only.

Added together, in five hours to complete, all setting in a chair or walking aimlessly about.

I can not say enough about the 'Great' work you've done.
Not sure how winmfs comes into the picture, as it only works on Series 3 and earlier models. The image I sent you was designed to be restored to your new 4TB drive with DvrBARS and that should take about 5 minutes or less using its Quick Restore mode.

The update and reboots are standard for setting up a Premiere, or any TiVo for that matter.

· GameTech
9 Posts
Not sure how winmfs comes into the picture, as it only works on Series 3 and earlier models. The image I sent you was designed to be restored to your new 4TB drive with DvrBARS and that should take about 5 minutes or less using its Quick Restore mode.

The update and reboots are standard for setting up a Premiere, or any TiVo for that matter.
Yes your right... My mistake.. I'd just done two older TIVO 3's earlier in the week and quoted wrong program. I did a full restore with 'DvrBARS.exe' not a quick restore.

Me feeling stupid..

Good catch... :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts