TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched but i was not able to find what i need. so i apologize in advance if this has been asked an answered already. i have a tivo unit and would like to connect it to my computer so i can burn whats on my tivo to a disc, however i have no idea where to begin. i have a direcTV tivo unit and i would like to know what i need to hook up my tivo to my computer so i can burn the programs onto a dvd.
thank you

·
Dumb Blond
38,577 Posts
No, that won't help, as he has a DirecTV TiVo box. These do not support TiVoToGo.

The easiest solution is to connect the video and audio output of the TiVo to a video/audio capture device on your PC (some video cards include video input or you can buy cards or USB devices for recording from external devices). You'll also need software that will record from the inputs for burning to DVD.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Another alternative is to connect the outputs of the DirecTiVo to a DVD Recorder. Maybe a little more expensive, but you might find it easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. steve, so if my video card has the a/v jacks all i need to do is connect the a/v cords from my tivo to my videocard? at that point would i just go to my tivo select the "record to vcr" option?

·
Dumb Blond
38,577 Posts
Either a card or a USB capture device. Either one will come with the proper software for recording from the input. You'll then need a DVD-video burning program such as Nero, Roxio, or some other. A card is likely to give you better results, just make sure it has its own MPEG2 encoder chip and doesn't rely on software to do it.

·
I can't explain
19,455 Posts
TheNewGuy said:
i searched but i was not able to find what i need. so i apologize in advance if this has been asked an answered already. i have a tivo unit and would like to connect it to my computer so i can burn whats on my tivo to a disc, however i have no idea where to begin. i have a direcTV tivo unit and i would like to know what i need to hook up my tivo to my computer so i can burn the programs onto a dvd.
thank you
it is not the easiest way and can not be talked about on this forum but do a google search on hack directV TiVo and look for ways to enable the USB port. You can go to the underground forum here and look for zipper that will help you out halfway. The actual getting video files off the DirectTV can not be discussed here for this manner though.

The easy solution of getting a TV card in your PC to record the shows realtime from the DirectTV can be discussed here and is an easy alternative

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.