TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Certified Neurotic
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice some striking similarities between "My Name is Earl" and "Spongebob Squarepants"?

Here are some things in common:

EARL has Earl Hickey...
SPONGEBOB has Spongebob
SIMILARITY: Both shows have the main charatcer name in the tile

--------

EARL has Randy...
SPONGEBOB has Patrick
SIMILARITY: Both Randy and Patrick are slow-talking dim-wits who are the "sidekick" to the main characters on each show.

---------

EARL has Crabman...
SPONGEBOB has Mr. Krabs
SIMILARITY: Both "Crab" characters work or run restaurants.

-----------

And if that isn't enough to make you run out and rent JFK, play the Spongebob theme music over and over again while watching the first episode of Earl, and prepare to trip out. Start the music just as Earl gets hit by the car. ;)

·
Got Basenji?
9,603 Posts
OMG, you have toooooo much time on your hands.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I think someone inhaled! :rolleyes:

·
Smelly Pirate Hooker
1,161 Posts
Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between The West Wing and Will & Grace. On both shows, they use human actors, have scripts, and are filmed by cameras! Weird.

·
Right side up again.
16,952 Posts
Wow, I think you're right. Spongebob invented the dimwitted sidekick and Earl totally ripped them off.

·
Coney Island Small
32,711 Posts
I think you're onto something.

I recently read that Earl has a secretary named Kennedy, and Spongebob has a secretary named Lincoln.

·
Certified Neurotic
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scooterboy said:
I think you're onto something.

I recently read that Earl has a secretary named Kennedy, and Spongebob has a secretary named Lincoln.
And it gets freakier still...

Jason LEE was born in 1970, 100 years after Robert E LEE had his citizenship reinstated.

Hey, my point was that My Name is Earl reminds me of Spongebob, that's all. I highly doubt there is any intended coincidence. :)

But I don't rule it out, either. ;)

·
Got Basenji?
9,603 Posts
Eh, go play in traffic. ;)

·
Banned
26,212 Posts
I think the main similarity is the target age of the audience. Maybe I don't get it but I find this show to be truly horrible. I tried it twice then gave up.

·
Right side up again.
16,952 Posts
IJustLikeTivo said:
I think the main similarity is the target age of the audience. Maybe I don't get it but I find this show to be truly horrible. I tried it twice then gave up.
Have to agree there - I could never get into Spongebob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts