TiVo Community Forum banner

My Locals in HD via Satelite?

1321 Views 16 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  bonscott87
I have DirecTv and live 75 miles from my locals so I can't receive their HD signal via antenna. Does DirecTv have a link somewhere that will tell me when I can get my locals via Satellite? My locals come from Lexington,Ky.

Thanks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Yes, DirecTV's website has a list of current cities receiving HD locals. Now, when it another situation.

And there is this thread on the DBSTalk forum.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=65321
Put your zip code in here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=900018

If they don't have it now there are no set dates although they have said most new markets will wait until D11 goes up next year.

Since HD locals are in MPEG4, DBSTalk will be the place for discussion on them since they can't be received by a DirecTivo.
Thanks for the info guys. Since it was mentioned that HD locals are in MPEG4 I have another question then. I was "grandfathered in" and I receive local DNS from LA and NYC plus I get NYC DNS in HD. Once my locals are available in HD MPEG4 will I lose DNS servive if I opt to get my locals in HD?
Well, no. At least I haven't. The Boston MPEG4 locals went up a few months after I got my HR10 and waivers for CBS and Fox HD. I still have those distant HD networks and DirecTV has not contacted me to suggest I would lose them.
That was an assumption on my part from other threads awhile ago. I hope that policy remains in affect when my locals become available. But, I suspect DirecTV will eventually shut off DNS. :(
Thanks Jim :(. But I'll only lose HD from NYC correct? I will still get the "Std" feeds from LA and NYC.
DirecTV has been auditing people with distants that don't really qualify anymore. If locals are available to you then they have to shut down the distants per the law and they don't want to get in trouble like Dish did.

But they obviously haven't audited everyone and I'm sure some may slip thru the cracks. Maybe you'll get lucky. :)
stevel said:
Well, no. At least I haven't. The Boston MPEG4 locals went up a few months after I got my HR10 and waivers for CBS and Fox HD. I still have those distant HD networks and DirecTV has not contacted me to suggest I would lose them.
That could be that you don't have the equipment to receive them yet (I take it you don't have an H20 or HR20 yet).

Who really knows. It's pretty hit and miss. Bottom line though is going into the future don't count on your distants if you can get the locals, DirecTV doesn't want to get in trouble with the government.
RonH54 said:
Thanks Jim :(. But I'll only lose HD from NYC correct? I will still get the "Std" feeds from LA and NYC.
If the SD waivers remain in place, but don't hold your breath. My guess would be that once your HD locals are available in MPEG4 and you have MPEG4 receivers you'd lose all DNS.
JimSpence said:
If the SD waivers remain in place, but don't hold your breath. My guess would be that once your HD locals are available in MPEG4 and you have MPEG4 receivers you'd lose all DNS.
:( I plan on getting an MPEG4 receiver/recorder once the "new" HD channels become available on the new bird but I'll keep my HR10-250 and use in in my bedroom and just watch MPEG2 HDs for a while on it.
This is really strange. I went to the website and put in my zipcode to determine if we could receive locals in HD. My zipcode and town is in two different counties. It looks like one county can get locals in HD the other (mine) cannot. I think that is just ridiculous! If I lived a mile up the road, I could get locals in HD, but cannot as of now. I wonder if they really check to see which county you live in?
Books said:
This is really strange. I went to the website and put in my zipcode to determine if we could receive locals in HD. My zipcode and town is in two different counties. It looks like one county can get locals in HD the other (mine) cannot. I think that is just ridiculous! If I lived a mile up the road, I could get locals in HD, but cannot as of now. I wonder if they really check to see which county you live in?
DMA's (the TV markets) are determined by county, not zip code. Here is a map: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/TVMarkets/index.htm
I do not have an HR20 yet, will have one in about two weeks. It will be interesting to see what happens then regarding my distant HD channels.
Thanks for the link. If this map is accurate than this makes no sense. I live in Orange county and according to the map, it is under the same DMA are as Durham county. Are there any other rules that could be at work here as to why Directv would split a zip code by county?
Books said:
Thanks for the link. If this map is accurate than this makes no sense. I live in Orange county and according to the map, it is under the same DMA are as Durham county. Are there any other rules that could be at work here as to why Directv would split a zip code by county?
Probably the best thing you can do is get ahold of one of the local stations and see if they say you are in their DMA area. Counties get changed all the time from DMA to DMA every year so who knows.

If you can get 2 or 3 of them to agree then get them to contact DirecTV and work at it via that route. They will probably get farther then you will.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.