TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
bkdtv said:
There is no way to get menu and trickplay sounds when the Tivo is outputting Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 bitstream to your receiver. Your receiver can only accept one bitstream at a time. There is no way for Tivo -- or anyone else -- to insert their sounds in that Dolby Digital bitstream.
I have noticed this same comment several times recently in different threads - this is incorrect. It may be difficult in "real time", and w/ Tivo's current hardware design possibly unachievable, but it most certainly can be done. It is purely a resource/design issue.

Suggestion: leave out the "or anyone else".

·
Registered
83 Posts
bkdtv said:
There is no way Tivo or anyone else can insert their own sounds into the original Dolby Digital bitstream.
No matter how many times you assert this, you're still wrong; you even derive a very crude and inefficient method below disproving this statement. :confused:
With additional hardware, they could decode the DD5.1 signal into LPCM 5.1, mixed in their menu sounds, and then re-encode it back into Dolby Digital 5.1. It would be a new, somewhat-less pristine version of the original Dolby Digital signal.
At which time one has achieved the desired goal, inserting sound into the stream; which you said couldn't be done. You proved my point. :confused:
No DVR in production today has the hardware necessary to support Dolby Digital 5.1 re-encoding. Hence, there is no way for any provider to offer that feature at this time.
You didn't say that - you said there is no way to insert secondary effects into the audio stream. Go back and read what you wrote.
As I noted above, Tivo could decode DD5.1 into LPCM 5.1, mix it with menu sounds, and output the signal over HDMI for those with HDMI 1.1+ receivers. The hardware in the Tivo can do that. However, only a small minority of customers have the HDMI A/V receivers that would be necessary to take advantage of that feature, so it must be very low on Tivo's list of things to do.
No argument, and goes right along with what I said. I again recommend that, in the future, when referencing Tivo's inability to do this, you limit your remarks to Tivo and the facts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.