TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HDTiVo Owner!
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the first to get a HD TiVo, being about 53 on the list almost 3 years ago. The fan died about 3 months ago which I immediately replaced. Tonight, it has rebooted itself about 8 times in the last two hours. Temperature is nothing unusual (about 52 degrees) and there is no other odd behavior such as stuttering. If this continues, I will probably try replacing the drive with instant cake (I have a 200gb drive sitting on the shelf, waiting for a purpose) to see if that is the reason.

Kinda sad to see it go after giving such reliable behavior over the last almost 3 years. I signed up for the coverage plan and, if it is truely dead, will request a replacement in a month...

--Ron

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
3 years is great for something with a hard drive running 24/7. My new hr10-250 arrives tomorrow and I only hope I get 3 years out of it.

·
HDTiVo Owner!
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kmp14 said:
I am almost at 5 years for my Ultimate TV, still works perfectly with the original hard drive!
Yeah, I was hoping for longer but, ah well. My buddy's DSR6000 (one of the original DirecTiVos) is still running the pair of 120gb drives we put in about 5 years ago...

--Ron

·
Registered
75 Posts
For unknown reasons (at least to us) those HR10-250 drives sure seem to die sooner than other units' drives. My first one died after about a year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just bought a new hr10-250 from costco. I can't wait to get home and hook it up :) I've heard they're releasing the new hr20's in a few weeks though. I just need this one to get me through the super bowl and then I'll trade it in for the new model. That's why I paid cash at costco. Should I hold off on sending in the rebate?

·
King of the North
8,667 Posts
smoking_rubber said:
Just bought a new hr10-250 from costco. I can't wait to get home and hook it up :) I've heard they're releasing the new hr20's in a few weeks though. I just need this one to get me through the super bowl and then I'll trade it in for the new model. That's why I paid cash at costco. Should I hold off on sending in the rebate?
I seriously doubt you will see an HR20 in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
rvaniwaa said:
I was one of the first to get a HD TiVo, being about 53 on the list almost 3 years ago. The fan died about 3 months ago which I immediately replaced. Tonight, it has rebooted itself about 8 times in the last two hours. Temperature is nothing unusual (about 52 degrees) and there is no other odd behavior such as stuttering. If this continues, I will probably try replacing the drive with instant cake (I have a 200gb drive sitting on the shelf, waiting for a purpose) to see if that is the reason.

Kinda sad to see it go after giving such reliable behavior over the last almost 3 years. I signed up for the coverage plan and, if it is truely dead, will request a replacement in a month...

--Ron
My HD Tivo started acting up a month ago and I removed the hard drive, installed the drive to my PC, ran the Western Digital diagnostics via the http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/.

The WD diagostics tool found errors and repaired them. I then removed the hard drive from my PC, re-installed it into my Tivo. The Tivo has been fine so far.

Note that my Tivo has a Western Digital hard drive. Your Tivo may have a different brand, which will require a different diagnostic tool.

·
HDTiVo Owner!
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jrosen1040 said:
Have I completely lost track of time or has it only been just under TWO years since the first HR10-250 was delivered?
ACK! Of course, you are right.

On the positive side, I instant caked the drive and things appear to be happier. At the same time, I zippered the drive and now have many of hte nice features such as tivoweb and caller-id installed now.

--Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
I recently had some rebooting problems with my HD Tivo as well. DirecTv had me clear the hard drive and basically start over. That was about a week ago and it hasn't rebooted since. We'll see. I was hoping I didn't have to do that but couldn't get any other solutions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts