TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my Bolt+ suddenly started exhibiting the dreaded four flashing lights. I'm assuming the hard drive is toast. I just got off the phone with TiVo, and they will sell me an Edge for $249 and transfer the lifetime from my Bolt to it.

I'm thinking I probably don't even need a DVR in that room anymore, since I don't record nearly as many shows as I once did. We can make due with just a single Roamio and some Minis for the whole house. Given this fact, does it make sense to jump on the $249 deal? A brand new Edge with lifetime is obviously worth a lot more than $249. I could just turn right around and sell it on eBay. My other option would be to install a new drive in the Bolt and sell it, but I think it makes more sense to go the Edge route. What do you guys think?

· Registered
557 Posts
Bear in mind my refusal to move to TE4 until I have no other choice for a variety of reasons. The edge will force you into using TE4 which might not be a problem for you.

If you wanted to keep a Tivo in that room you can easily put in a new internal 2TB drive for about $60. If you want to use an external drive, that should outlast the internal drive option, there are several threads here describing how to do it. Or, you could take the easy way out and buy the 3TB external hard drive kit from Weaknees for the same $250.

I just had a 3TB drive fail in my bolt for the second time and just replaced the hard drive.

· Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bear in mind my refusal to move to TE4 until I have no other choice for a variety of reasons. The edge will force you into using TE4 which might not be a problem for you.
LOL! I'm the exact same way. I hate TE4. That's why I was never tempted to upgrade to an Edge. The only reason that I'm considering it now is because they are offering me one at a discounted price and will transfer my lifetime to it. This seems like a fair deal to me.

· wait.. I did what?
15,700 Posts
LOL! I'm the exact same way. I hate TE4. That's why I was never tempted to upgrade to an Edge. The only reason that I'm considering it now is because they are offering me one at a discounted price and will transfer my lifetime to it. This seems like a fair deal to me.
Fair except for the fact you will have TE4 inflicted upon you and no options.
The odds are your Bolt+ just needs a new drive and the $60 Toshiba 2TB drive is a winner as far as reliablity when replacing the 3TB unit (3TB Toshiba's are all but disappeared)

· Registered
557 Posts
Then if you're not planning to trying to sell the Edge, it seems to me you best choice is to replace the Bolt's hard drive. You've apparently already got lifetime on it and you can keep using TE3. Why take something you don't like just to get a discounted price. And as has been said before the 2TB drive replacement is only $60 not $250.

· Registered
6 Posts
I called and they offered me the edge replacement for $249 and an additional $50 off totaling at $199. What’s the difference with TE3 and TE4 that was discussed. No matter if I exchange or replace disk it’s still 2TB.

· wait.. I did what?
15,700 Posts
I called and they offered me the edge replacement for $249 and an additional $50 off totaling at $199. What's the difference with TE3 and TE4 that was discussed. No matter if I exchange or replace disk it's still 2TB.
Different operating systems and completely different user experiences
If your system has a blue based background that's TE3, the classic Tivo experience, if it's black based, it's TE4 the new experience also referred to as "hydra" they are night and day and if the differences work for you, pick the one you prefer, the 2 biggest reasons to stay at TE3 are the older LiveGuide, and the ability to transfer video from your computer onto the Tivo, both are not in TE4.
TE4's big selling point is automatic ad skip and voice control.

Reactions: cwerdna and pl1

· Registered
557 Posts
Thanks for the link! How easy is it to swap out the drive in the Bolt? I know it formats itself, but is it difficult to get the box open?
Depends on how handy you are and how you define "difficult." Weaknees has a good video on how to replace a Bolt hard drive including how to open the case. If you're doing with just replacing the internal drive with another internal drive you can ignore everything about the external drive. For the thin blade portion I just used a butter knife. You'll need some Torx screw drivers or screw driver bits to use on the screws.

Here is the link to the Weaknees video.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.