TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is probably not the Edge. It's probably not TiVo related at all.

The TV isn't exactly surround sound but sometimes it sounds like whatever I'm hearing is in the room in a different location than the TV. It's just 19 inches.

But I never had this happen before. If there was music with the dialogue on a TV series, for the first few minutes I couldn't hear the dialogue. I assume even with what was recorded closed captioning is an option but I didn't try it--yet.

Then the dialogue was loud enough to hear, as if someone found the right button to push.

It's a broadcast network though I get it from Spectrum. With an antenna I might have been able to receive this channel but I haven't tried.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think it is more of a network/producer/editor issue. Some programs are worse than others. We like to watch the "who done it" shows, like 48 hours, 20-20, Dateline, etc. Sometimes the background "music" makes the shows almost unwatchable. 20-20 is by far the worst. The music noise is very irritating and way too loud. I sent ABC a note voicing my displeasure, but did they listen to me? Noooo.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think it is more of a network/producer/editor issue. Some programs are worse than others. We like to watch the "who done it" shows, like 48 hours, 20-20, Dateline, etc. Sometimes the background "music" makes the shows almost unwatchable. 20-20 is by far the worst. The music noise is very irritating and way too loud. I sent ABC a note voicing my displeasure, but did they listen to me? Noooo.
They probably couldn't hear you because the music was too loud. Sadly a long time, continuing problem on too many shows. If you watch old movies from the 40's, for example, that is almost never a problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We constantly have to turn down the TV when there's theme music (can't really call it "background" music when it's that loud!), then back up once the cast starts whispering...er, talking, whether it's on streaming or a recorded broadcast show. (We don't use our TiVos for streaming, but that's beside the point since this is an issue with the original media itself across different platforms.)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same problem last night so I decided to see if closed captioning worked on a recording. It did, and very well. I've had closed captioning that had misspelled words and other problems. Not here. I watched the other show and got so much more out of it. The show last night had dialogue that could be heard when the person was speaking into a microphone. In other scenes, I heard nothing but birds, which was actually nice. Immediately when the show ended and the scenes from next week (actually several weeks from now) were shown, the normal sound came back. Sound was also normal during commercial breaks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It has got so bad, that I keep the remote in my hand the entire time that I am watching tv. Even when people talk, if they are getting sexy with each other, they whisper and up goes the volume, then the "background" music comes on and down goes the volume. It is getting so bad that sometimes I just want to turn the Dam* tv OFF.

·
Cheesehead
11,544 Posts
I always watch with my remote in-hand so I can increase and decrease the volume as necessary, or to toggle closed-captioning. Sound mixing can be horrible on some shows. The dialog shouldn't be hidden by music or sound FX, but it happens often.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The worst show lately for us in this respect has been Peaky Blinders; the music is raucous, which I don't mind per se, but trying to understand the accents and quieter scenes we often turn the volume up, then have to turn it down again when the music starts, then back up when it stops.... 🙄

·
Registered
326 Posts
So what is the solution? I have tried every sort of volume leveling on all my electronics. Nothing works! My Onkyo even has a setting for uping the speaking volume over loud background noice or music. but I see no change.

Reactions: justen_m

·
Premium Member
2018 Tesla Model 3
1,819 Posts
I suspect that people between the ages of 18 and 49 can hear the dialog over the music. Those of us who are older don't matter because advertisers won't pay to advertise to us.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
So what is the solution? I have tried every sort of volume leveling on all my electronics. Nothing works! My Onkyo even has a setting for uping the speaking volume over loud background noice or music. but I see no change.
You can try increasing the volume level of your center channel speaker in the AVR settings. Also make sure that the speaker is properly positioned so that it is angled toward your ear-level at the MLP and that there are no physical obstructions.

I assume that you have calibrated your setup and double-checked output from each speaker.

In a worst case scenario, the center-channel speaker might be defective or you might need to upgrade your system.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Dolby vs PCM sound setting????????

·
Premium Member
16,490 Posts
One thing that drives me crazy is the 'drama music' that a lot of shows have. It's often this LOUD, banging, clanging, crap that totally outdoes any dialogue of the actual show.

For me, since I'm going deaf anyway and have tinnitis, I can only hear a maximum two things at once, and not all that well - all the noise in my head from the tinnitis and one other thing. So, when there's loud music or a studio audience (gawd, I hate studio audiences!) it just completely kills the whole thing for me.

I wish there was a button to make the other sounds, aside from show dialogue, go away completely. Along that vein, I wish there was a button on the phone you could push while on hold that makes it quiet. No loud music, or telling me a zillion times that I can probably do whatever it is I need to do online. If I could I would just so I didn't have to go through all the button-pushing crap and sitting on hold with the phone blaring so I can't even do something else while I wait. /rant

·
Cynical old guy
1,926 Posts
I am constantly adjusting the volume up and down, and not by a little. Quiet talking, jack volume up. Any type of music or action, jack volume down. I have always maintained that volume is the end user's control, not the director's. I know, the director would argue otherwise. My firestick claims to have automatic volume leveling, but it does not do anything. I have read of sound bars that do a great job of AVL, just haven't invested in one yet.

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
One thing that drives me crazy is the 'drama music' that a lot of shows have. It's often this LOUD, banging, clanging, crap that totally outdoes any dialogue of the actual show.
……………..
Yes! My guess is this is related to how 5.1 audio sources are processed to derive two channels for systems with just two speakers. My viewing system is a TV that has just stereo speakers of course. I’ve played with the numerous (and confusing) TV audio adjustments trying to minimize the problem but it’s still there on some channels, usually for the “drama” content.

My primary source is YouTube TV and they recently made 5.1 audio available as an option you can turn on or off. My initial experiments indicate this setting makes no significant difference on this issue. Previously (when YTTV did NOT provide 5.1) obviously YTTV, or someone, was processing the 5.1 down to stereo. If I select 5.1 from YTTV then my TV is doing the down-processing. In either case, the stereo result has the low dialog-to-background problem.

I admit part of this problem may be my hearing degrading with age. I have close relatives who speak softly and I have to strain to understand them from just across the room. And my wife frequently complains I have the volume set too high on the TV.

·
Premium Member
16,490 Posts
Yes! My guess is this is related to how 5.1 audio sources are processed to derive two channels for systems with just two speakers. My viewing system is a TV that has just stereo speakers of course. I’ve played with the numerous (and confusing) TV audio adjustments trying to minimize the problem but it’s still there on some channels, usually for the “drama” content.

My primary source is YouTube TV and they recently made 5.1 audio available as an option you can turn on or off. My initial experiments indicate this setting makes no significant difference on this issue. Previously (when YTTV did NOT provide 5.1) obviously YTTV, or someone, was processing the 5.1 down to stereo. If I select 5.1 from YTTV then my TV is doing the down-processing. In either case, the stereo result has the low dialog-to-background problem.

I admit part of this problem may be my hearing degrading with age. I have close relatives who speak softly and I have to strain to understand them from just across the room. And my wife frequently complains I have the volume set too high on the TV.
You sound like me. I don't know about the technical stuff, but as to losing hearing and dealing with that is a real pain sometimes. I find that a lot of time I just hope I heard enough that I didn't miss anything important because, often, when you have to say 'pardon me I didn't hear that' they will YELL and I have a thing about yelling (childhood horrors), so I'd rather miss it than be yelled 'at'.

Sometimes my husband is sleeping during the day and I have to keep my tv down where I can only hear about half of it, or wear headphones which drive me crazy because they aren't that comfortable when you wear glasses. I just really wish that either the 'drama music' or live audiences didn't have to be a thing, or you could mute that part and hear the rest. I don't imagine that will ever happen. ;)

·
Under Maintenance
26,698 Posts
Part of it might be you're getting old... voices are the first to go lol. What we do is put it on the Big Speakers and then crank up the Center Channel volume by +3db. Makes a huge difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts