TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Also the Zinwell WB616 16-output version is compatible.
And, it is definately confirmed that other switches (mine is a powered 4x8 installed by Ironwood a year ago), don't work? I had to HR20's installed yesterday to go with my HR10's.

I told the installer that the 4x8 wouldn't work and it had to be the WB616 or 68, and he said DirecTV has told them any 4x8 or 6x8 would work. After explaining everything I knew, we hooked them up, turned them on and checked 499 (something he didn't even know about) and of course both receivers failed.

He said since it wasn't on the workorder, if he installed it before getting the workorder fixed, he would get charged $120 for the switch. He said he was gong to call his local office and have them get DirecTV to change the work order, and said that if it really is the multiswitch (which he did agree was likely the problem) DirecTV is going to have a massive headache, because Ironwood (presumably via DirecTV) is telling the installers any 4x8 or 6x8 will work. He said he has months worth of installs of the HR20s that all have this same multiswitch.
 

·
TechKnow Guide
Joined
·
4,779 Posts
tnedator said:
And, it is definately confirmed that other switches (mine is a powered 4x8 installed by Ironwood a year ago), don't work? I had to HR20's installed yesterday to go with my HR10's.

....
You must have a Ka-band compatible multiswitch to receive the new HD channels and DirecTV's current local HDTV channels from the 99 and 103-deg W satellites using a 5-LNB AT9 or AU9 satellite dish with an H20 HD Receiver or HR20 HD DVR. The Zinwell WB68 and WB616 are the preferred multiswitches, but some expensive Spaun multiswitches are also compatible with the Ka-band signals. Typical 4x8 multiswitches are NOT compatible with Ka-band signals and will NOT receive/switch the new HDTV channels.

If you're only using older DirecTV/Tivo DVRs that don't support the new Ka-band satellites, then your old multiswitch will continue to work fine.
 

·
Quilt Geek
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
I read (on dbstalk) that it was possible to use my old 5x8 multiswitch, cascaded after the new 6x8 MS, to diplex the OTA signal and pass it on to my legacy equipment (2 HR10s and an SD DTiVo). I've wired everything, and I can receive some satellites/transpoders (and OTA) on the HR10s, but none of the HD channels (from the satellite) are coming in. Was I misinformed, or do I have a different problem going on?

Thanks,
Tracey
 

·
Just hangin'
Joined
·
12,629 Posts
tlrowley said:
I read (on dbstalk) that it was possible to use my old 5x8 multiswitch, cascaded after the new 6x8 MS, to diplex the OTA signal and pass it on to my legacy equipment (2 HR10s and an SD DTiVo). I've wired everything, and I can receive some satellites/transpoders (and OTA) on the HR10s, but none of the HD channels (from the satellite) are coming in. Was I misinformed, or do I have a different problem going on?

Thanks,
Tracey
To do that, you need to have four lines from the WB68 connected to the 5x8 switch. This will give you 4 lines capable of receiving all sats and 8 lines for the legacy units.

Hatman said:
Is there any way to get more than 8 outputs by using 2 zinwell 6x8 multi-switches?
You can use four high frequency splitters to feed two WB68 switches. Make sure you connect the switches in the same order from the splitters.
 

·
Quilt Geek
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
JimSpence said:
To do that, you need to have four lines from the WB68 connected to the 5x8 switch. This will give you 4 lines capable of receiving all sats and 8 lines for the legacy units.
Yes, that's exaclty what I'm trying. Hmmm, I'll have hubby look at it when he comes home - perhaps I don't have something tightened enough - weak little girly hands. It can't possibly matter what 4 lines I choose, or which inputs on the 5x8 I attach them to, right?

Thanks, Jim,
Tracey
 

·
Just hangin'
Joined
·
12,629 Posts
tlrowley said:
Yes, that's exaclty what I'm trying. Hmmm, I'll have hubby look at it when he comes home - perhaps I don't have something tightened enough - weak little girly hands. It can't possibly matter what 4 lines I choose, or which inputs on the 5x8 I attach them to, right?

Thanks, Jim,
Tracey
Shouldn't matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just one more question (maybe I should have started with this):

I currently have a 6X8 multiswitch to go with the following equipment:

2 - HR20s
1 - H10-250

That's 6 outputs so far... and...

3 other older (is legacy the correct term here) DirecTV receivers.

That adds up to a total of 9 outputs needed.

Does that change your answer at all?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
litzdog911 said:
You must have a Ka-band compatible multiswitch to receive the new HD channels and DirecTV's current local HDTV channels from the 99 and 103-deg W satellites using a 5-LNB AT9 or AU9 satellite dish with an H20 HD Receiver or HR20 HD DVR. The Zinwell WB68 and WB616 are the preferred multiswitches, but some expensive Spaun multiswitches are also compatible with the Ka-band signals. Typical 4x8 multiswitches are NOT compatible with Ka-band signals and will NOT receive/switch the new HDTV channels.

If you're only using older DirecTV/Tivo DVRs that don't support the new Ka-band satellites, then your old multiswitch will continue to work fine.
Unfortunately, to go with my two 10-250s, I had two HR20s installed, so the multiswitch is a definate problem.
 

·
TechKnow Guide
Joined
·
4,779 Posts
tnedator said:
Unfortunately, to go with my two 10-250s, I had two HR20s installed, so the multiswitch is a definate problem.
Call DirecTV again and insist that they provide the appropriate Zinwell multiswitch for free. Tell them you want to be ready for all of those new HD Channels coming later this month!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top