TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place. My question is about a multiswitch. I currently have a dual LNB direct tv dish with tivo, my multiswitch has 2 inputs from the dish, 4 outputs that are all being used, and another input I assume is for cable or an antenna.

Ok the question is can I use a multiswitch that has more inputs than I currently have, such as a 4x8 or 5x8 switch? I'm considering upgrading to HD soon and was trying to avoid buying twice. I also have a receiver with a very long cable run so I'm considering a powered switch. Any recomendations on a brand? Something less than 100 dollars would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
scottman72 said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place. My question is about a multiswitch. I currently have a dual LNB direct tv dish with tivo, my multiswitch has 2 inputs from the dish, 4 outputs that are all being used, and another input I assume is for cable or an antenna.

Ok the question is can I use a multiswitch that has more inputs than I currently have, such as a 4x8 or 5x8 switch? I'm considering upgrading to HD soon and was trying to avoid buying twice. I also have a receiver with a very long cable run so I'm considering a powered switch. Any recomendations on a brand? Something less than 100 dollars would be great.

Thanks.
I'm using the Terk 5x8 powered; have been very happy.

I got mine from here:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~545458.asp

It was less than $65.00... but the same item ran $154 at Best Buy!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info tivogre. I was also looking at the terk brand but was not that familiar with them.

I'm still wondering if its ok to have a switch with 4 or 5 inputs when i'm only using 2 inputs on my current dish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,525 Posts
scottman72 said:
I'm still wondering if its ok to have a switch with 4 or 5 inputs when i'm only using 2 inputs on my current dish?
Sure, just make sure you hook up the 2 inputs from the current dish to the 101° satellite inputs on the 4x8 / 5x8 multiswitch. (They might be labled 101°, or 0Khz, or Sat A).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response Jonathan S. I was pretty confused on how to hook these things up. Would a powered switch be the way to go for a long cable run? I think its over 100 feet from where the switch is located.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.