TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'll chime in some talking points...

It's possible to put a retry that would attempt to connect after a Tivo restart, assuming its IP didn't change.

A couple examples makes it debatable if this is the best way to handle it.

What if the Tivo wasn't restarted but was switched off? Shouldn't the proxy exit instead of hanging around? Then how to tell the difference?

Even if the Tivo's coming back, is it fair to the connected clients to accept commands that won't be sent out.

Haven't fully thought it through, but I'm guessing it would be cleaner to exit whenever a Tivo goes missing. Then either external or internal controls should restart it (if desired) to a state of waiting around for a good broadcast.

And disclaimer: my opinion doesn't matter, while wmcbrine's does.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
This is the smallest patch I could find against 0.5, that will cause rproxy to exit when it gets a network error back from the Tivo.

If you set Lingon to "Always", rproxy should exit when the Tivo is back up, and Lingon will restart it.

Turning off the Tivo for an extended time might eventually cause undesirable behavior on the Mac, as described earlier but really depends on how Lingon is written.
Code:
# diff ~/rproxy0.5/rproxy.py /usr/local/bin/rproxy.py 
282,283c282,283
<     thread.start_new_thread(status_update, (tivo, listeners, target, verbose))
<     serve(queue, listeners, host_port)
---
>     thread.start_new_thread(serve, (queue, listeners, host_port))
>     status_update(tivo, listeners, target, verbose)
Edited: a second patch that reintroduced KeyboardInterrupt detection

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,542 Posts
One issue, whenever the Tivo is restarted I have to reboot the Mac as well for the remotes to take effect, is there an easier way to maintain connection?
Haven't fully thought it through, but I'm guessing it would be cleaner to exit whenever a Tivo goes missing.
These both make sense to me, so, that's what I've done now. :)

http://wmcbrine.com/tivo/#rproxy

Reconnecting is the default, similar to how it works in Network Remote. This doesn't (yet) work if the TiVo changes IP. To instead get telemark's behavior -- exit on disconnect -- specify "-x" when starting.

This version also reports more info in verbose mode, and -- unless you specify the server port to use -- it will automatically try the next nine ports if 31339 is already bound. This makes it a little easier to proxy multiple TiVos from the same machine.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.