TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,501 Posts
It has amused me to write this program for you. :) Actually, this is going to come in handy for me, too... I should've done it long ago, if only I'd thought of it.

This is a barebones version... unzip it, open a Terminal window, and type "python rproxy.py your.tivo.ip". Then point your remote apps at the computer's IP. If you're not comfortable with that, I'll probably post a GUIfied version later, with autodetection, etc. Anyway, it works as-is.

Attachments

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,501 Posts
No, it's not an iPad thing. It's not about having remote apps installed on two different systems, it's about having them actually open and connected to the same TiVo at once.

Also, the problem described here applies to the older, port 31339 "Crestron" protocol, as used by most third-party remote control apps. It may or may not apply to the newer system used by TiVo's own Android and iOS apps (and by KMTTG); I haven't tested that.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,501 Posts
This version adds announcements via Zeroconf, for remote apps that scan the network for available TiVos. It also shows the address and port in verbose mode, and is slightly reorganized.

The name used for the announcements is "Proxy(tivoname)", where "tivoname" in turn is derived from a Zeroconf scan. (If that fails, the IP address is used.) This format is recognized by my Network Remote v0.29 or later, and used to remove the original TiVo from its connection list (since it's "busy"). Older versions of Network Remote lack this feature, and are limited to port 31339 (like real TiVos, but unlike rproxy), but are otherwise compatible, and will recognize rproxy's announcements and connect to it.

Attachments

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,501 Posts
http://wmcbrine.com/tivo/#rproxy

Version 0.5 allows you to specify the TiVo by name (i.e. the display name, like you'd see in the "My Shows" list or via -l) or TiVo Service Number, as well as by IP. (Similar to telemark's suggestion, but no option flag is needed.) Also, there's a new option "-f", to simply scan and connect to the first TiVo found. Also, specifying the port to connect to on the command line hadn't actually been working.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,501 Posts
One issue, whenever the Tivo is restarted I have to reboot the Mac as well for the remotes to take effect, is there an easier way to maintain connection?
Haven't fully thought it through, but I'm guessing it would be cleaner to exit whenever a Tivo goes missing.
These both make sense to me, so, that's what I've done now. :)

http://wmcbrine.com/tivo/#rproxy

Reconnecting is the default, similar to how it works in Network Remote. This doesn't (yet) work if the TiVo changes IP. To instead get telemark's behavior -- exit on disconnect -- specify "-x" when starting.

This version also reports more info in verbose mode, and -- unless you specify the server port to use -- it will automatically try the next nine ports if 31339 is already bound. This makes it a little easier to proxy multiple TiVos from the same machine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.