TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the first episode was really good in a fun, charming, family oriented way. I knew practically nothing about the character before reading and seeing snippets here and there over the last couple of weeks. I like the fact that hey didn't whitewash the Pakistani heritage references. I definitely would have binged multiple episodes if they had been made available.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS have we seen the characters in the “credits” scene before?
That credits scene was the only thing about this episode that I didn't like. Not because of the content but because I had no idea that there would be a credits scene and would have missed it if I hadn't noticed that there were about six minutes left when the credits started. I was just about ready to press the exit button on the remote but decided to fast forward through the credits just on the off chance that there might be something there.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The mother seemed to recognize the bracelet when it first appeared, so she probably knows what it can do. One would think that when the videos from the con go viral, she'll recognize the powers.
I've wondered how her parents will react when the find out she's a superhero - especially the mom - or if it will be kept a secret.

I knew Kamala's mom was going to be waiting for her when she snuck back into her bedroom. Mom's admonishment made even me feel bad and I didn't do anything.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I thought the second episode was somewhat of a letdown compared to the first one. This is another example of why I tend to not like superhero origin stories that much. It takes too long to get to the butt kicking parts. The best part was when the guy called her Nite Lite. That gave me a chuckle. The term "Illuminaunties" was cool too.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mystery: Where did Kamala's Ms. Marvel costume come from when she saved the boy dangling from the mosque? No way she could have hidden it under what she was wearing at the Eid celebration. Did she run home like Bruno said and change while the boy was just about to fall to his death?

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The casting of the young heroes in these last few Disney+ series has been 100% on point.

She's Great.

Xochitl Gomez is great.

Obviously Hailee Steinfeld has always been great.

-smak-
I'm probably the only one here who watches the silly D+ series Ultra Violet and the Black Scorpion but the lead actress (Scarlett Estevez) in that series is like Iman Vellani in that she's another one of these young Disney actresses with huge personalities who were born for comedic roles.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Interesting tidbit I saw on another forum. The shoes that were stolen from Kamala's friend at the mosque? The boy she saves at the end of the episode is wearing them.
I'm glad somebody noticed that because I certainly would never have.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I didn't quite understand why evil djinn lady decided to crash the wedding ceremony to steal the gauntlet while possibly murdering and wounding many when she could have just waited until the next day, invite Kamala over for another gauntlet history lesson and unexpectedly bop her upside the head and take the gauntlet from her then. It would have been much easier and quieter. Other than that, I liked the episode.

I wonder which of her friends and family will learn of her superhero-ness.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
It seemed odd to me that Kamala and her mom would just pick up and go to Pakistan on a moment's notice, in the middle of a school year and for the simple stated reason that the grandmother is old.

Being a typical dumb American, I was surprised at Karachi's modern skyline.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I really like the Pakistan/India Partition history parts of the show but it's almost as if this series' creators forgot that this is a superhero show. There have been five episodes so far and do we even know who/what the Big Bad is yet? I don't see how next week's finale can not end on a cliffhanger since there seems to be so much that still needs to get done.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I'm not sure there will be a Big Bad. This is more a young superhero-to-be finds her place in the world show. And it's really a Disney show more than a Marvel show (plot wise). So there are some minor bad's to not so much overcome, they exist as bumps in the road of her journey.

All that's really left is for her in this show is to find out that cute guy now has green light powers, that DoDC is after him, have a small fight (or conversation) with them, and goes she back to her life, family, and nightlights as a superhero with renewed self confidence. That's about par for the course in a Disney kid-with-powers story.
Yeah but...
Ms. Marvel is supposed to have some connection with Captain Marvel in an upcoming movie. Kamala needs to get more non-Disney+ superhero-y in a hurry in order to face the bad guys in Captain Marvel's league.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
As mentioned a little further upthread, this series seemed more like a Disney superhero show than a Marvel superhero show. I really appreciated the Pakistani culture and history parts of it but I would have preferred more superhero stuff. But then again, I'm not the biggest fan of extended origin stories.

Ms. Marvel seems like she's going to be a family friendly superhero but I would have cheered if she had killed the crap out of that Damage Control lady. I also wonder how her seemingly family friendliness will transfer to the Marvels movie. Will that be a more comedic venture?

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I had to rewind to make sure I saw what I thought I saw when Kamala, as Ms. Marvel, waited for the traffic light to turn from red to green before continuing to light-hop across the city. I got a chuckle out of that.

Did this show's reveal of the thought process behind the Ms. Marvel name match what was in the comics?

I googled "embiggen" to see if it was a real word and was surprised to learn that it was first used on The Simpsons in 1996. I thought it would have been a Marvel invented word.

"Embiggen" has been added to a US dictionary - a word first heard on The Simpsons in 1996.
Merriam-Webster included the word, which has been popularised partly because of the comic Ms Marvel, among 850 new words and definitions.
It is from the motto of The Simpsons' fictional town of Springfield: "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
It means to "make bigger or more expansive", says Merriam-Webster.

·
Meh.
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Here's a nice article about the music on Ms. Marvel, of which I didn't recognize a single song.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts