TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Mr. Mayor (NBC sitcom) Season Thread *spoilers*

16K views 213 replies 40 participants last post by  HarleyRandom 
#1 ·
I liked it. A few weak moments, but more than enough funny scenes to carry it. It's a sitcom pilot, so I'll give it time. Ted Danson is good, Bobby Moynihan was great, Holly Hunter can be a little too much. I remember the actor playing the daughter from Speechless.

Two episodes tonight, back to back.

From wiki:
Mr. Mayor - Wikipedia

Mr. Mayor is an American sitcom television series created and written by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock. The series stars Ted Danson, Bobby Moynihan and Holly Hunter, and it premiered on NBC on January 7, 2021.

Premise: Mr. Mayor will show the life of Neil Bremer, a wealthy businessman, played by Ted Danson, who runs for mayor of Los Angeles "for all the wrong reasons. Once he wins he has to figure out what he stands for, gain the respect of his staff, and connect with his teenage daughter, all while controlling the coyote population."

#140 ·
What's interesting is how polarizing Bobby Moynihan's character is (Jayden Kwapis). If you read the responses on various big TV forum (TVLine, THR, etc) , half love him, half hate him.

#160 ·
I thought it was by far the weakest of the three NBC Christmas sitcom specials. It wasn't a very funny episode. Little humor in people wanting to get home, and the mayor just keeps them around. And the barely sweet ending did nothing to make up for 28 minutes of unfunny.

Of the three NBC Xmas sitcoms, my scores:
Young Rock: Solid A
Kenan: Soft B, a little too maudlin, but still good
Mr. Mayor: C

#164 ·
I thought it was by far the weakest of the three NBC Christmas sitcom specials. It wasn't a very funny episode. Little humor in people wanting to get home, and the mayor just keeps them around. And the barely sweet ending did nothing to make up for 28 minutes of unfunny.
I really enjoyed it. Maybe it helps to be in L.A. (although this year, I got out of town on December 17).

#163 ·
I thought it was a nice surprise when it showed back up on the dvr. I had forgotten about the show and remembered liking it. After watching this Christmas episode I can't remember what I actually liked about the show.
My thoughts exactly!

#166 ·
I really enjoyed it. Maybe it helps to be in L.A. (although this year, I got out of town on December 17).
I'm not an LA guy, but I lived in SoCal for a couple of years and I got a lot of the references and I think it was really geared to how "different" the season is in warm weather areas than in a more "traditional" setting, and I liked all the references to such. The plot has been done many times before, but I always say, that if done well, it doesn't matter if it's been done before. I guess you and I are in the minority and liked it.

#174 ·
This last week was it for me. SP deleted.

Sitcoms that have stupid in them can be a challenge for the writers. Done well, eg Superstore, they can be really entertaining. Done poorly, eg American Auto, they are unwatchable. Mr. Mayor started out funny, interesting, but has veered into such dumb story lines that it's become painful to watch. When you cringe more than laugh...

All of this is obviously IMHO. YMMV.

#176 ·
This last week was it for me. SP deleted.

Sitcoms that have stupid in them can be a challenge for the writers. Done well, eg Superstore, they can be really entertaining. Done poorly, eg American Auto, they are unwatchable.
I never got the appeal of "Superstore". Without Amy what was the point? And I liked her because she had been Ugly Betty.

I forget whether "American Auto" was compared to "Superstore" but if its star was Ana Gasteyer ... I first watched her in "Suburgatory" and couldn't stand her. Then I saw her in classic SNL episodes. Didn't help.

#183 ·
Honestly I don't know why I keep watching this show. Probably because I like Ted Danson, but it's been mostly horrible. This past episode however, was pretty decent so maybe the show could be hitting it's stride? I'll keep watching for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.