TiVo Community Forum banner
141 - 160 of 214 Posts

·
Series 3
27,124 Posts
What's interesting is how polarizing Bobby Moynihan's character is (Jayden Kwapis). If you read the responses on various big TV forum (TVLine, THR, etc) , half love him, half hate him.
I have no strong feelings about Jayden but I recognize him as an oddball character type that frequents the Feyverse.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,819 Posts
I'll take 5 of him over 1 of Holly Hunter's.
I think you need a Holly Hunter to make this work (even though the character is annoying). You need the sniveling weasel type to play off of the jovial Ted Danson character. Holly plays that pretty well. As for Bobby, I don't have a problem with the character per se, but they just need to tone him down. I don't know if it's the acting or how the character is written, but he's just too over the top as the hayseed in government. He's the Woody, to Ted Danson's Sam in Cheers.

I think the show needs some tweaking, but overall it COULD be really good.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I think you need a Holly Hunter to make this work (even though the character is annoying). You need the sniveling weasel type to play off of the jovial Ted Danson character.
I don't. I think the girl from the Middle East or India would fill that role.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,819 Posts
I don't. I think the girl from the Middle East or India would fill that role.
I'm not saying that it has to be Holly Hunter, but you need a character like that. The other supporting people are not meant to be that. If you watched the first episode you realize that Holly's character wanted to be mayor and she was hired to basically shut her up. So she is going to be Ted's foil. Maybe she could be less annoying (or played by a different actress, I personally have no issues with Holly Hunter the actress), but I think her being annoying is why we hate her, and that's the point. Been plenty of characters on TV like that.

·
Nerd Fashionista
6,146 Posts
I'm not saying that it has to be Holly Hunter, but you need a character like that. The other supporting people are not meant to be that. If you watched the first episode you realize that Holly's character wanted to be mayor and she was hired to basically shut her up. So she is going to be Ted's foil. Maybe she could be less annoying (or played by a different actress, I personally have no issues with Holly Hunter the actress), but I think her being annoying is why we hate her, and that's the point. Been plenty of characters on TV like that.
I don't hate her because she's annoying. I think it's Holly playing the character that grates for me.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,819 Posts
For some reason I thought this was not renewed (cancelled?). I thought this was a decent if underwhelming show that could have been better, but I'll watch when it comes back.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
For some reason I thought this was not renewed (cancelled?). I thought this was a decent if underwhelming show that could have been better, but I'll watch when it comes back.
All three of NBC's Thursday night mid-season sitcoms were renewed, albeit with miniscule numbers: Young Rock, Mr. Mayor, Kenan.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I thought it was by far the weakest of the three NBC Christmas sitcom specials. It wasn't a very funny episode. Little humor in people wanting to get home, and the mayor just keeps them around. And the barely sweet ending did nothing to make up for 28 minutes of unfunny.

Of the three NBC Xmas sitcoms, my scores:
Young Rock: Solid A
Kenan: Soft B, a little too maudlin, but still good
Mr. Mayor: C

141 - 160 of 214 Posts