TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I only watched the first episode (and I fell asleep somewhere in the middle), but it was just OK, but given the cast and writers, I'll give it more time. Seemed like a bit of an updated Spin City (which was much better).

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
This show was originally developed as a spinoff of "30 Rock," with Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy becoming the mayor of New York City -- but then Baldwin dropped out, and they retooled it to be a Ted Danson vehicle, and he didn't want to leave Los Angeles to film anywhere else.

(I do kind of wonder if they'll have any crossovers with "30 Rock" -- even something like an offhand reference to someone watching "TGS with Tracy Jordan" -- to show it takes place in the same universe.)
It did kind of have a 30 Rock feel to it, though 30 Rock was written much better. But there's also a reason why I didn't watch the era of SNL that Tina Fey was on. Sometimes the the writing can feel like it's there to amuse the writers themselves more than us. I found that sometimes with 30 Rock too, but the ensemble was was great, so I can get around it. But I see enough here that it could get better. I do think the original concept would have been better though.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I knew that this was originally developed around the Jack Donaghy character but I'm not convinced that they're actually filming in LA.
I'm almost certain that the pilot was filmed in New York and I'm not sure the second episode was filmed here either.
(The only scene that looked like it might have been filmed here was the scene with Holly Hunter outside the Mayor's Mansion on her bicycle. Unless a place like Staten Island has those type of street lamps.)

The production company also appears to be getting a New York state tax credit which may or may not be for Fey and Carlock's New York production office.

I was thinking that this was going to be a New Yorker's idea of what Los Angeles is like but if this is set in the same bizarro universe (or same type of universe) as 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt, that could work.
At the end of the episode I noticed the little NY State logo that is on most shows filmed there. It's really odd considering how so much of TV is produced in and around LA, yet a show ABOUT LA is done in NY. That just seems wrong.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I thought that 30 Rock was mediocre in the beginning (and I think I took some flack for saying so).
But it got much better and I did enjoy it most of time, once I realized it was set in a bizarro universe.
I didn't really love it though like I did Kimmy Schmidt.
I agree. I remember that Sorkin' series about an SNL type show came out the same year as 30 Rock and while not a comedy they were compared quite often and I have to say I liked that one better. But 30 Rock got better as it went along. I'm hoping that this develops the same. I watched Kimmy Schmidt for a time but got bored with it. After awhile it just didn't seem that funny.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It was sadly a one season show, the only one of his shows that didn't run multiple seasons. Great ensemble cast.
Yep, that's the one. I really liked that show, but sadly it just didn't take off. Maybe it was a bit too meta (which I have problems with normally but for some reason not so much with that show). It was a ratings disaster but I liked it.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I thought the 3rd episode was much better than the 1st two. I think maybe it's because I am more familiar with the characters and getting to know their quirks. Not a fan of the celebrity cameos, as that was mostly dumb (but I guess spot on showcasing spoiled rich celebrities). I'm not a fan of Teagan and Spade, so maybe that's why I didn't like it that much.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
It's like 30 Rock lite. I'm still in but barely. I kept hearing how P&R and The Office took a year until it got good, maybe that's the case here and I gave up on both quickly. Ted Danson and a little bit of "funny" is keeping me here.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
Me too. I am, however, a sitcom guy. "30 Rock" at least had Tina and Alec Baldwin bickering and the insanity of Tracy and the goody-goody Kenneth. And I like that music, which has shown up here too.

I tried P&R when they did that special episode recently. Knope.,

I never saw any clip from "The Office" that appealed to me, but some of the actors have shown up elsewhere. Steve Carell has played some great roles in movies, like "Dinner with Schmucks" which I saw over the weekend where he was a white, less intelligent and older Urkel. Jenna Fischer was mentioned on "SNL" and I liked her in "Splitting Up Together" with Oliver Hudson.
I generally like good sitcoms. 30 Rock took awhile to get it's legs too, which I mentioned up thread and that's why I am still giving this one a bit more time. It's got Ted Danson who has a good pedigree (Cheers, The Good Place, even CYE), and Tina Fey is involved. We'll see.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I thought The Office was solid right out of the gate, but I was already a fan of the original British version. P&R definitely took a while to get going, but it ultimately became one of the best sitcoms of all time. I suppose it's possible that Mr. Mayor will eventually become a great show too, I'm just not willing to invest in it right now.
And that was my issue with P&R. I watched a few episodes and thought it was really dumb, and never went back. So, I'm giving this some slack, if only because of the pedigree. The Office, I liked the British version, but the US version didn't do it for me.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
It's definitely a Catch 22 kind of situation. If everyone bails on a show before it has a chance to find its voice, then the show has less of a chance of sticking around long enough to really start to fire on all cylinders. There is just so much competition these days that people are less likely to give a new show a chance if it doesn't click with them right away. I'm virtually positive that if Seinfeld was released today it would never have made it past the first season.
I totally agree. There are shows that are considered modern classics that I just didn't stick with because they didn't do it for me and I have so much else to watch. And there are shows that I liked that nobody else did, that got cancelled because, well nobody else seemed to like it. So I've decided, I'm watching what I like and I'll give shows a chance I think have potential...to a point. But if this was the 1970s, I'd stick with most of these shows.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
Technically, Seinfeld didn't make it past the first season. It had to be re-tooled.

I'm also guilty of giving up early on both Office and P&R. Did I miss out on some good comedy? YES

Do I feel distraught over it? Not one bit.
I don't think Seinfeld was retooled as much as it evolved. A couple of characters were tweaked and that was mostly from the first episode. George was tweaked to become mostly not that bright from just being Jerry's wisecracking friend. and Kramer was made to be even more wacky. And and at some point Jerry and Larry decided they just couldn't stick with a "show about nothing" so they had some more outrageous plots, but really that wasn't until the 4th year. By then, it was a hit.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
Also enjoyed 'Respect in the workplace', but they need to get rid of "Jayden" - I know he's a white male and therefor stupid, but the character is too over-the-top stupid.
I agree with this. He's like hard to believe stupid, and hard to explain why someone like him would get the job he got in a city as big as L.A. Hopefully over time they will tone his character down to more naive than just being stupid.

For me the show still hasn't hit it's stride, but it's getting there. I didn't think this last episode was all that great, but again, I'll stay with it, at least through the season. It's rare that I do that with any show, but I still think there's enough here to eventually make this show more consistent.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I really liked the scenes with The Mayor and the daughter. And Nicole. She's been on a lot of shows I've watched and I really liked her. But the relationship won't last, which is a shame.

The trivia competition? I was so happy to see the words "Season finale" referring to the next episode. Not because of The Mayor and the daughter, certainly. But I don't care to ever see the rest of them.
Nobody ever forced you to watch, yet you still are. Outside of that one character, I think we are starting to get a good read on all the other characters. Sometimes it takes time, and that's where we are with this show.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I delete things based upon how full my Dvr is. Especially since there are so many ways to go back and watch stuff.
It's weird in that I watch quite a bit of TV and I don't think my DVR has been below 50% in ages, maybe since my first DirecTV Tivo. I have the standard 1TB HD in my HR54, so it's not like I have a giant external HD attached. The only time the DVR fills up even down below 75% is when I go away and stuff piles up (or in October when I'm watching a lot of post season baseball). But I also don't save a lot of shows. After I watch I delete. I have a couple of old games and a couple of music concerts saved, and I think the last episodes of The Americans and The Big Bang Theory on there (and haven't gone back to watch them since they aired). But I also don't have any auto records set based on "likes". Just what I have set up on my Season Passes.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
My Tivos are almost always AT 100%.. at least that's what it says.. Currently my Roamio is at 100% but still has 22 suggestions, including some HD suggestions. So if it says 100% AND it only has a couple of suggestions, THEN I get really worried.

I think I've started fewer new shows this year (and for ones that I can, I record in SD 'as backup' and watch them on Hulu or wherever without commercials.. I still like having the TiVo recording since then I download the metadata file to keep as a 'I saw this episode'..)
And I think that's part of the issue. I turned off suggestions years ago. That's why my DVR is never full. I don't need an algorithm guessing what I should be watching.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I definitely hate her character. But during this last episode I realized that's exactly what they're going for. She's the foil that creates the comedy. She's unintentionally hilarious (unintentional within the show, obviously it's intended as comedy from the writers).
She's kind of like Sheldon on TBBT. You hate all his foibles, and he's generally an unlikable guy. But in his mind he's well intentioned. That's what Holly's character is. She thinks she's well intentioned, her side of things are right, and you need her to be the foil to Ted's less than by the book approach. She's his foil.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,863 Posts
I'll take 5 of him over 1 of Holly Hunter's.
I think you need a Holly Hunter to make this work (even though the character is annoying). You need the sniveling weasel type to play off of the jovial Ted Danson character. Holly plays that pretty well. As for Bobby, I don't have a problem with the character per se, but they just need to tone him down. I don't know if it's the acting or how the character is written, but he's just too over the top as the hayseed in government. He's the Woody, to Ted Danson's Sam in Cheers.

I think the show needs some tweaking, but overall it COULD be really good.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts