TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Nice to see you
12,137 Posts
The mayor of the City of Los Angeles would not be going to El Segundo (a separate city) or Six Flags (not in the city of Los Angeles) as part of his official duties. Also, many of the items shown briefly in the opening titles are not in the City of Los Angeles, either (Randy's Donuts - Inglewood; Bob's Big Boy - Burbank; sign in Beverly Gardens Park - Beverly Hills).

That said, in the second episode, the shot of the L.A. Kings mascot running in slow-motion out of the fog, brandishing a giant pair of scissors, made me laugh so hard I cried.

(I also hope references and flashbacks to the previous mayor being driven insane by the events of 2020 remain a running joke.)

·
Nice to see you
12,137 Posts
This show was originally developed as a spinoff of "30 Rock," with Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy becoming the mayor of New York City -- but then Baldwin dropped out, and they retooled it to be a Ted Danson vehicle, and he didn't want to leave Los Angeles to film anywhere else.

(I do kind of wonder if they'll have any crossovers with "30 Rock" -- even something like an offhand reference to someone watching "TGS with Tracy Jordan" -- to show it takes place in the same universe.)

·
Nice to see you
12,137 Posts
I knew that this was originally developed around the Jack Donaghy character but I'm not convinced that they're actually filming in LA.
I'm almost certain that the pilot was filmed in New York and I'm not sure the second episode was filmed here either.
It was reported in December that they had to shut down filming at Universal due to Covid-19 cases, and then this month, they delayed returning to work until January 11 due to the current Southern California surge.

I suspect the New York State tax credit is for post-production.

·
Nice to see you
12,137 Posts
I thought it was by far the weakest of the three NBC Christmas sitcom specials. It wasn't a very funny episode. Little humor in people wanting to get home, and the mayor just keeps them around. And the barely sweet ending did nothing to make up for 28 minutes of unfunny.
I really enjoyed it. Maybe it helps to be in L.A. (although this year, I got out of town on December 17).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts