TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
The mayor of the City of Los Angeles would not be going to El Segundo (a separate city) or Six Flags (not in the city of Los Angeles) as part of his official duties. Also, many of the items shown briefly in the opening titles are not in the City of Los Angeles, either (Randy's Donuts - Inglewood; Bob's Big Boy - Burbank; sign in Beverly Gardens Park - Beverly Hills).
This show was originally developed as a spinoff of "30 Rock," with Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy becoming the mayor of New York City -- but then Baldwin dropped out, and they retooled it to be a Ted Danson vehicle, and he didn't want to leave Los Angeles to film anywhere else.
I knew that this was originally developed around the Jack Donaghy character but I'm not convinced that they're actually filming in LA.
I'm almost certain that the pilot was filmed in New York and I'm not sure the second episode was filmed here either.
(The only scene that looked like it might have been filmed here was the scene with Holly Hunter outside the Mayor's Mansion on her bicycle. Unless a place like Staten Island has those type of street lamps.)

The production company also appears to be getting a New York state tax credit which may or may not be for Fey and Carlock's New York production office.

(I do kind of wonder if they'll have any crossovers with "30 Rock" -- even something like an offhand reference to someone watching "TGS with Tracy Jordan" -- to show it takes place in the same universe.)
I was thinking that this was going to be a New Yorker's idea of what Los Angeles is like but if this is set in the same bizarro universe (or same type of universe) as 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt, that could work.

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
It was reported in December that they had to shut down filming at Universal due to Covid-19 cases, and then this month, they delayed returning to work until January 11 due to the current Southern California surge.

I suspect the New York State tax credit is for post-production.
The El Segundo scene sure looked like El Segundo High School where many shows are filmed. And the Kings training facility with mascot Bailey is nearby. Bailey often makes appearances in El Segundo.
Thinking about it some more this morning, the High School scene looked like it could have been filmed here.
So, I'm moving more to the side that the second episode was shot in Southern California.

I'm still of the opinion that the pilot was shot in in New York though.
Benito Martinez and Rachael Dratch have been "East Coast actors" of late plus the webs say Tina Fey did an unbilled cameo as Mayor Delgado's aide.
(I haven't gone back and checked yet.)

It's not uncommon though to shoot the pilot in one location and then have production move to another if the series is picked up.

Possibly watching both episodes back to back clouded my judgement.
(But some of the camera angles in the second episode looked like they were trying to hide stuff. Which they may have been. Just not things like the Manhattan skyline.)

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
It did kind of have a 30 Rock feel to it, though 30 Rock was written much better. But there's also a reason why I didn't watch the era of SNL that Tina Fey was on. Sometimes the the writing can feel like it's there to amuse the writers themselves more than us. I found that sometimes with 30 Rock too, but the ensemble was was great, so I can get around it. But I see enough here that it could get better. I do think the original concept would have been better though.
I thought that 30 Rock was mediocre in the beginning (and I think I took some flack for saying so).
But it got much better and I did enjoy it most of time, once I realized it was set in a bizarro universe.
I didn't really love it though like I did Kimmy Schmidt.

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
Yep, that's the one. I really liked that show, but sadly it just didn't take off. Maybe it was a bit too meta (which I have problems with normally but for some reason not so much with that show). It was a ratings disaster but I liked it.
Agreed.
I liked it better than the first season of 30 Rock.

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
I agree that the third episode is better and maybe the series is getting there.

Also, I'm pretty sure that it was filmed in Los Angeles.

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
They did actually film in Dodger Stadium in episode 5 (not like there was a lot going on there when they shot this).

Although some of the camera angles bothered me until I realized that they were trying not to show that they didn't have enough extras to portray a crowd in the stands.
(Darn pandemic.)

Sam Malone would have thrown that pitch harder.

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
I agree with this. He's like hard to believe stupid, and hard to explain why someone like him would get the job he got in a city as big as L.A. Hopefully over time they will tone his character down to more naive than just being stupid.
Which makes him a perfect fit for the Los Angeles Mayor's office.
(The real power belongs to the City Council.)

Of course, I'm still of the opinion that this is the same Bizarro Universe that Fey and Carlock created for 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt.
(The Feyverse?)

You know the one with Kenneth?

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
What's interesting is how polarizing Bobby Moynihan's character is (Jayden Kwapis). If you read the responses on various big TV forum (TVLine, THR, etc) , half love him, half hate him.
I have no strong feelings about Jayden but I recognize him as an oddball character type that frequents the Feyverse.

·
Series 3
32,377 Posts
I actually thought the last two episodes were better, but yeah, not as good as this show could have potentially been. It might have been one of those shows you would appreciate better if you lived in LA, or enjoy people spoofing the SoCal lifestyle. Otherwise, I don't see the appear for anyone else.

As a native, the show came across to me as a native New Yorker's idea of what Los Angeles is like.
Now that can be funny but it seemed to me that too much of the time, Fey and Carlock were unable to pull it off.
Or, a lot of the jokes just didn't land.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts