TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving from the US to Cardiff, Wales in the next couple of months. Does anyone know if my stateside Tivo will work in Wales (I'm assuming no, but thought I would ask).

Also, in the UK do you have the Home Media Option available?

Thanks

bh

·
VM Tivo User
9,015 Posts
No and yes, in that order :)

I think US Tivos can be hacked to work as a dumb recorder, with PAL hacks and stuff, but you will not be able to get EPG data. UK Tivos are still available but, as you probably know, only the Series 1 so it's quite a backwards step, I'm afraid and there's no Home Media Option, whatever that is :(

Although I don't have it myself, I understand that MCE works perfectly acceptably over here as an alternative to a Series 1 Tivo. There's a thread in our General discussion area that you might like to read.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nevermind...silly question about it working (forgot about the whole PAL & NTSC) thing.

My other question is still there about Home Media Option.

And, on Tivo's site looking at a pic of the back I noticed no USB port. Is a wireless connection supported (instead of phone line). If so, how is the connection made?

Thanks again.

bh

·
VM Tivo User
9,015 Posts
Networking your UK Tivo is a hack-job and requires either a Cachecard or a Turbonet card; much like the US Series 1's, as I understand it :)

Check-out www.tivoheaven.com for UK-specific prices, etc. That said, I suppse you could always buy one from 9thTee or whoever, if their comparative price is cheaper :D (Sorry, BL ;))

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
wbhambone said:
My other question is still there about Home Media Option.
No, we don't get the Home Media Option on UK Tivos. The UK only offers Series 1 TiVo's, I think HME is a season 2 + feature. It basically offers the extra features that MCE has (photos, music etc).

·
TiVo Tamer
129 Posts
I feel embarrassed!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
programx said:
I feel embarrassed!
I feel confused (you didn't post anything in this thread).

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
cwaring said:
I think he meant wrt the fact that we don't have as good a Tivo units here as they do over in the US so, in coming into the UK, our US friend will essentially be "downgrading". Something like that, I guess :)
:eek: :eek: you're probably right. We're living in the dark ages over here :) Since getting networked though and with all the good hacks, I feel our Series 1 TiVo's are well pimped. Possibly more interesting than a basic S2 model even.

·
TiVo Tamer
129 Posts
Carl was right ;)

My pimped up TiVo deserves a fur coat to bolster its ego.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts