TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Tivostream today and am having an issue with the motor trend app. I have the app installed and started but am stuck on the login screen. There are two selection boxes... 'start your free trial' and 'sign in'... I already have signed up for the service and it works fine on my tablet so I want to sign in but stream won't let me move to the sign in box? Not sure how to proceed. Can anyone help a newbie to streaming?

· Registered
28 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but there are several just like it with no answer. I'm sitting here 7 months later and the exact same problem exists. After digging, it appears it is a problem with the MotorTrend App not working on Android TV which is what Tivo Stream 4K is based on. On other forums, I see this issue going back for a year at least. I just sent a rather hot email to Motor Trend App blasting them for advertising that they work on Android TV when in fact it hasn't in over a year. At least. I sent them an email and I got back a long reply about how to correct it "on your smart tv", like a Samsung smart tv. I was very very very clear that I was using a Tivo Stream 4K and explained that it is based on Android tv. They clearly didn't bother actually reading what I wrote.

· Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this is an old thread, but there are several just like it with no answer. I'm sitting here 7 months later and the exact same problem exists. After digging, it appears it is a problem with the MotorTrend App not working on Android TV which is what Tivo Stream 4K is based on. On forums, I see this issue going back for a year at least. I just sent a rather hot email to Motor Trend App blasting them for advertising that they work on Android TV when in fact it hasn't in over a year. At least. SO......your only options are:

1. Subscribe to the service through Amazon, then you can watch the episodes on the Amazon Prime App on your Tivo.
OR
2. Watch Motor Trend App on your laptop and cast it to your Tivo Stream 4K which actually works really well. You can leave that Chrome tab playing Motor Trend and open other tabs to keep working and it will not cause the video playback to stop.
OR
3. Use your iPhone to watch and cast it to your Tivo from your iPhone. To do this, you will need to go to the Google Play Store and download "Air Play Mirror" on to your Tivo.

Yeah. I hate that I stayed loyal to Tivo and bought 3 of these. I honestly thought Android TV was going to be a good platform, and clearly so did Tivo. It is quickly becoming attractive to spend the money to buy a good universal remote and a Roku Ultra.

I hope this info helps someone down the road.
There is another option (which is what I did). You can buy a small bluetooth keyboard and pair it with the Stream 4K and it will let you control the app.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GCPVZDW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don

· Registered
2,682 Posts
There is another option (which is what I did). You can buy a small bluetooth keyboard and pair it with the Stream 4K and it will let you control the app.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GCPVZDW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don
Seems kinda sad to spend $25 on a keyboard when Motortrend can't write code that works with all platforms. I contacted them over this app five months ago, and their response was "we don't promise the Motortrend app will work with all platforms".
Rubbish - Amazon Firestick works, and that's close enough, isn't it?
I don't think they have any intention to fix their app to work with TiVo Stream 4K, which is unfortunate…

· Registered
28 Posts
It is time for the 24 Hours of LeMans, so here I am one year later trying to log into the MotorTrend App and it STILL does not work. Same issue, the remote is unable to move the cursor up or down. Pathetic. I sent their support another email, lets see how it goes this time. Again, I was clear to all the details, even giving them the Kernel version, software version, build number, everything.....

· Registered
28 Posts
And here you go:

Rushell (MotorTrend Streaming)
Jun 8, 2022, 12:53 PDT
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for contacting MotorTrend+ Customer care.

We apologize for the inconvenience . At this time, we do not have a native app for Tivo Stream 4K TV devices, but you can still watch our premium content using a casting feature from your mobile device to your TV. You can find some tips and steps on casting for Tivo Tv here.

The list of our supported devices can change, and we are working to add additional platforms. If you don't see your platform there, you can submit it to us as a feature request and our Product Managers and Technical team will evaluate it for future development.

Please let us know if you need any other assistance regarding MotorTrend+,

Best regards,
Rushell
MotorTrend+ Customer Care

Oh, and they list they support X-box, so I turned on my Xbox, downloaded the app, and no joke.......When you start the app, it puts up a screen saying, "Cast Motortrend from your mobile device!". LOL!!!! What a load of crap. A shame, they've got a lot of good content but put you through hell trying to watch it! LOL!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.