TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This issue occurred on older version (I'm lost with all those verisions now...) and DirecTV managed to fix the problem with version 3.1.1. This explicitly proves that CC and picture are NOT recorded together.

With the 6.1 update, they "broke" the CC again.

The problem lies in how the video is played back (I'm not an expert in audio-visual component), I know it doesn't make sense because the video is "buffered" but, whenever I go back in the buffer or watch a previously recorded show, captions suddenly go out of sync. When I catch up with the buffer and start watching it "live" and then it goes back into sync.

Brent

· Registered
17,715 Posts
RainyCity4 said:
This issue occurred on older version (I'm lost with all those verisions now...) and DirecTV managed to fix the problem with version 3.1.1. This explicitly proves that CC and picture are NOT recorded together.

With the 6.1 update, they "broke" the CC again.

The problem lies in how the video is played back (I'm not an expert in audio-visual component), I know it doesn't make sense because the video is "buffered" but, whenever I go back in the buffer or watch a previously recorded show, captions suddenly go out of sync. When I catch up with the buffer and start watching it "live" and then it goes back into sync.

Brent
Yep. And the fact of the behavior you are observing trumps the theory that "live" or behind in the buffer shouldn't behave differently for CC.

I do wonder what they did that made that difference, but I don't doubt that you and a few others have seen the behavior you are describing.

It's irritating when CC is messed up. I was watching something recently, where the next line that should be after a long pause in talking would mistakenly pop up at the start of the pause, and then hang on screen until the next line. Sometimes it was up there for over 15 seconds as the show would be doing scene changes, musical stuff, etc. Very annoying.

· Long Time Lurker
507 Posts
extension 721 said:
There is absolutely no reason why it would show up late in recordings, since it is just another part of the recorded picture.
The TIVO has NO closed captioning function. It passes the CC fuzz, as part of the picture signal, to the TV that decodes it and displays it. That said, there is absolutley no way the TIVO should be able to delay or speed up the CC data, because it is PART OF THE PICTURE...[/url]
I completely disagree with you with regards that the directivo doesn't have any effect on captioning quality. A couple of years ago, I did some deductive experimenting to see what was causing closed captioning problems when I was using the Directivo. Since I have the Comcast internet service (and therefore, the basic progamming), I was able to simultaneously compare the same live programming for captioning differences. I found that the captioning was perfect on the Comcast's tv show, whereas the same show on Directivo was showing less accurate captioning. I also swapped tv's between the comcast and directivo connections and the directivo still showed the same captioning problems even though both tvs have the CC decoder in them. So, it was clear to me that the directivo was doing something to the caption stream. After writing a letter to the FCC and DirecTV about these problems, DirecTV acknowledged the problem and worked to resolve it. Despite significant improvements in captioning quality, they've never gotten it to where it's as good as the Comcast captioning. Nevertheless, most of the programming I watch does not have signficant captioning issues, so I don't have much to complain about, but I feel for my deaf compadres who do watch such affected programming.

Unrelated note: One thing I do miss is the ability to watch programs at 2x speed with intact captioning. That worked wonderfully when I used an SA Tivo with Dish Network. But, CC gets garbled quickly when I try the same thing on the Directivos.

-navyman

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.