TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4-tuner Roamio on monthly ($9.99) but since the beginning of the year have been running Channels DVR on a NAS with a cablecard HDHomeRun tuner. That's been solid and the Roamio isn't getting used much. I'd be tempted to terminate TIVO completely but it's a convenient backup and my wife is comfortable with the TIVO so keeping it active is a bit of a safety net for her.

I also have a 2-tuner Premiere w/Lifetime in storage. I'm thinking of substituting it for the Roamio so I can ditch the $10/month guide fee and then de-activate the Roamio.

Is there a chance that I can get TIVO to sell me lifetime on the Roamio for a reasonable ($100) price? I'd pay that just for the convenience of not swapping out the boxes, the fact that the Roamio has a smaller footprint and the 4-tuners. If not, I'll get the Premiere online and TIVO gets no more $ from me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Never hurts to ask them how much they'd charge to shift the lifetime from the premiere to the roamio considering you've been paying them $10/mo on the roamio for awhile. They might give you a good deal considering you were going to shut off the roamio. At least tell them you're going to shut off the roamio. Getting a lump sum payment is better than not getting that $10/mo anymore.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Reactions: CommunityMember

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Was thinking it was two fold since he does have a lifetime unit. So not just a call to cancel. But cancel and transfer. Worst case is if they don't make an offer or make a bad offer you can still cancel and use the premiere. For just basic recording and watching, it should do just fine. And you have your streaming device for apps.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI - called them to see what they would do. Best offer was $250 for lifetime on the Roamio. Told them that the most I would pay was $100 for the convenience of not having to do the swap, etc. FYI - they wouldn't do the transfer of my lifetime from the Premiere. I understand that they don't want to sell lifetime cheap as it might then lead to a resale of the DVR but $250 doesn't work for me as I have a Premiere that will work fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - to close the loop on this story.

1) got the Premiere out of storage and online
2) talked to Comcast and got the cablecard ported to the Premiere
3) couple of minor problems (remote didn't work at first & since it was offline for years got an error)
4) talked to a support guy in the Philippines to fix the error. He gets the issues with TIVO but unfortunately isn't running TIVO - did offer to see how good a deal could get had for lifetiming the Roamio but at this point I was too far down the road to bother.
5) got everything working but still downloading updates and cable guide - that should take a while.

After 2 Premieres,a Roamio and TIVO Stream 4k and couple of minis and >15 years of paying TIVO (in 2 houses for 10 of those years) I am now down to a miniscule relationship with TIVO with a lifetime Premiere where no $'s is going from me to them. Honestly, I'm sad not to be paying them as if I were that would mean that they were still delivering value to me but there's nothing they do for me that justifies monthly payments.

Bottom line, if TIVO had launched a stable Stream 4K that could stream from a TIVO box (I would even have bought a new TIVO if needed) to anywhere in the world, they would have kept me but, at this point, what used to be a platform that enabled my convenience has become an anchor that inhibits my convenience. I filled my needs with an HDHomerun/Channels DVR/QNAP NAS. It's not as polished as what, in my imagination, TIVO could have done but it's here and TIVO isn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.