TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
With an "L"
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noone?

Not my favorite episode - wayyy too much of a downer. Very little comic relief and a very downbeat ending = not what I watch this show for.

·
TiVotee
1,183 Posts
This episode was not one of the best.

I think Captain Stottlemyer was out of character. His anger and rage issues seem out of proportion... Little in his previous behavior would suggest he would pummel a fellow police officer while at a crime scene, no matter what the provocation. After all, he's been dealing with the twin irritants of Lt. Disher and Adrian Monk for years. That cop should have been dealt with officially, and thru channels.

A disappointment.

·
Face For Radio
25,362 Posts
MikeCC said:
I think Captain Stottlemyer was out of character. His anger and rage issues seem out of proportion... Little in his previous behavior would suggest he would pummel a fellow police officer while at a crime scene, no matter what the provocation. After all, he's been dealing with the twin irritants of Lt. Disher and Adrian Monk for years. That cop should have been dealt with officially, and thru channels.
I'll agree on the basic premise you present here, but Stottlemeyer has shown he can lose control before. In one episode, he nearly beat up one suspect on the hood of a car until he was pulled away.

Still, I was having trouble with him beating up a cop, even one who was claiming to have slept with his wife. And the whole scene in the lineup... how does he not get suspended indefinitely after that? Not only did he attack the other cop, he messed up investigation of the crime!

I did appreciate that his marital problems seem realistically portrayed. He's had on and off problems with his wife the entire series (remember the time Monk spotted the fact he stayed in a hotel one night?), and it looks like those problems are coming to roost. While I think they overdid the "anger management issues" the entire episode, it's realistic that his wife filed for divorce.

Overall, much like when they were portraying Monk as a clownish victim a season or so back, the writers need to dial back on Stottlemeyer so he doesn't turn into a caricature of an "angry cop". You know you're in trouble with a "Monk" episode if Lt. Disher seems to be the rock of stability.

·
I am Spartacus!
28,560 Posts
I watched this and was sad. I love Monk and yet, it did as an another poster said 'was a downer'. I do see the point - they wanted to get Stottlemeyer and his wife apart and they wanted another cop to mess up the crime scene. I thought the guys whole attitude was so smug, that darn 'smile' - I expected Monk, Disher and the captain to go off of him.

I also wonder, did she file for divorce After being asked if she was seeing somone? Or was that in the works before hand and she just didn't tell him.

I also thought the remark the Captain made to Monk when he was asking the favor to follow her was a good one/realistic but it hurt - the remark about Trudy.

I hope next weeks is a bit funnier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.