TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a tivo that is about 4 years old. We are getting a message saying that the phone hook-up does not work because the modem is not working. Does anyone know if a modem can be fixed on a tivo or who to go to if it can?

· Registered
3,037 Posts
mick66 said:
You can always use an external modem, but if you have a Series2 and a broadband internet connection, you'd be better off networking the Tivo to use the broadband connection.
For an S1 your options include an external modem, TurboNET, CacheCard.

51 Posts
Along these lines, I've got a friend who has the old Sony S1. She started getting "no dialtone" messages. I took it to my house and tried it, and sometimes it would be okay, and sometimes not. I did listen in and it would send the dial tones. So does this mean the modem is "going"? I turned off dial tone detection and we're going to try that for a few days to see how it goes. Luckily, I do have an old USR modem we can use if we have to.

She has lifetime so she's not eager to upgrade her hardware. The current $299 deal is outrageous, and I'd tell her to go for the $199 --> S3 deal (if it's still available) but she is not going to be interested in digital and/or HD (she's not a spring chicken).

So thoughts about the modem? Why would it start having this behavior, and is there anything else you can recommend?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without the modem dial-up the tivo will not update the tv schedule so you can't search future shows.

mcclary said:
We have a tivo that is about 4 years old. We are getting a message saying that the phone hook-up does not work because the modem is not working. Does anyone know if a modem can be fixed on a tivo or who to go to if it can?
The brand is Sony SAT-T60 and the message we get is that the modem is not responding.
A couple of people said we could use an eternal modem. Does that just plug into our Tivo someway? How much might we expect to pay for an external modem?

· Banned
3,480 Posts
mcclary said:
The brand is Sony SAT-T60 and the message we get is that the modem is not responding.
A couple of people said we could use an eternal modem. Does that just plug into our Tivo someway? How much might we expect to pay for an external modem?
That's a D*TV Tivo. There's a separate forum for those. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7
You don't need a modem for anything. Without a modem you have to order pay per view over the internet or by phone. The modem isn't used for much of anything beyond contacting D*TV with ppv information and I think triggering the installation of new software.

In short
You don't need a modem and an external modem won't work with a D*TV tivo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.