TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Here's mine:
For the coax cable: Verizon FiOS box -> Filter -> TiVo Premier XL4.
For the internet: Verizon FiOS box -> Ethernet port -> Linksys Velop router -> "wireless here" -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Netgear 5 port switch -> the TiVo (so the TiVo *thinks* it's hard connected via the ethernet port).
Your description of the coax connectivity provides no insight on how any Minis are connected.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I was under the impression that the main TiVo (creating the MoCA network in the first place) would somehow assign addresses.
The MoCA bridge's only function is to bridge between the two physical network media types, MoCA/coax and the Ethernet LAN. It plays no more part in IP assignments than a Cat6 cable.

The Velop is the only device that should be handing out IP addresses.
That's what @fcfc2 was saying, as well, but you've listed at least one other device, the Apple Airport Extreme, that is capable of acting as a DHCP server. I expect he was suggesting the Airport Extreme be reviewed to ensure that it's configured properly, with its "router" functions disabled.

As for the Mini connections, they are connected by coax wired through the house. There will obviously be some splitters involved since a single coax comes out of the VVerizon box.
Not so obvious from the OP description, but certainly necessary. But what matters is how the locations are connected via coax, and through what components. Making a recommendation regarding any given splitter seems pointless absent complete information. (text description can suffice, diagrams are better; see attached for an example)

Attachments

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
For the coax cable: Verizon FiOS box -> Filter -> TiVo Premier XL4.
For the internet: Verizon FiOS box -> Ethernet port -> Linksys Velop router -> "wireless here" -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Netgear 5 port switch -> the TiVo (so the TiVo *thinks* it's hard connected via the ethernet port).
I'm curious, why the wireless link to the XL4 location, rather than using MoCA (with a standalone MoCA adapter at the Velop router, and then using the XL4 or another MoCA adapter to make the client connection, depending on throughput/uptime requirements)??

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Each of the Minis has TX power as 0.00, and RX power as -41.00.
With a theoretical range of -30 to +3 dBm (best to least good*), you have room for improvement. A review of the coax connections and connecting components seems like a worthwhile venture, when you have time.

* p.s. Just how ungood the +3 dBm value is can be determined by the associated TX PHY rate. Once you've hit the maximum amplification of the MoCA signal (+3 dBm), the PHY rate will suffer, with symptoms from dropping the effective throughput to failing to establish/maintain a connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.