TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
If I read your post correctly, you think I might force the mini to connect to my MoCA by designating a specific channel on both the Roamio and the mini.
Correct, with the stipulation that you also enable MoCA privacy -- and, based on the images you provided, avoid use of channel 15, as that's the channel in use by the foreign MoCA network. In fact, you'll likely want to avoid channel 17, as well, to keep a buffer between your network and the one on channel 15.

edit: Oh, also, here's some add'l info re: the available MoCA channels, from a previous posting:
Yes, you'll find it through the "Change network settings" option:
TiVo Central
> ...
> Change network settings
> Connect using MoCA
> Change MoCA Settings​

Note that you'll have the option to choose an odd-numbered MoCA channel from 15-29, with these somewhat arbitrary channel numbers being associated with the defined MoCA 1.1 50 MHz-wide channel center frequencies, as previously reported by GoHokies!, here. Filling-in the assumed values, we get...
15: 1150 MHz
17: 1200 MHz
19: 1250 MHz
21: 1300 MHz
23: 1350 MHz
25: 1400 MHz
27: 1450 Mhz
29: 1500 MHz​

Otherwise the only way to solve the problem is to install a POE filter at the incoming location and possibly a MoCA compliant spliter.
It's not so much a case of "otherwise" as "until." You'll still want/need to:
  • ensure the coax lines to your rooms are isolated from the rest of the building;
  • do the above using a MoCA-compatible splitter;
  • and get a PoE MoCA filter in place on the input to this splitter.
Connecting via a manually configured MoCA channel with privacy enabled is a temporary solution, only -- and with fingers crossed that it's even that. Given the rates and power levels shown in your MoCA stats images, it may be a long shot to get any kind of connection to the Roamio without the proper components in place to strengthen and secure your MoCA signals.

I have looked at the Arris closely and I do not see anything that suggests it can create it's own MoCA network.
Thanks for the feedback. (That issue was resolved -- my fears allayed -- when we figured out that mdavej was thinking of a different gateway model.)

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
I would also configure the network settings manually on the problem mini to force it to use the same subnet/etc. as the rest of his Tivos. Final step would be to bump up the MoCA channel one or 2 channels on all of his Tivos.
Agreed and confirmed on the "connecting to neighbor's MoCA" front.

The manual IP settings (IP, subnet, gateway, DNS) shouldn't be necessary *IF* they can get the Mini to connect to their Roamio MoCA bridge, using the manual MoCA configuration approach -- but is certainly an option, as many people find manually setting this IP info helps resolve some networking issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Trying to set a separate channel and encryption along with a static ip, subnet and DNS did not work. It stopped me from connecting to the foreign MoCA, but the Mini would not connect to my Roamio.

I have contacted Comcast and they are rolling a truck to install the POE filters on Tuesday.

Once again, thank you for all of your information and suggestions.

Thanks,

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
Thanks for the update.

I have contacted Comcast and they are rolling a truck to install the POE filters on Tuesday.

Once again, thank you for all of your information and suggestions.
Happy to help; let us know how the truck roll works out. Fingers crossed that they do the job right -- and using MoCA-compatible splitters on your side of your PoE MoCA filter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Comcast truck roll could not have gone any better. Technician was on time, courteous and very knowledgeable. He know exactly what I was talking about with the MoCA network.

He isolated my connections in the box, installed the POE filers and MoCA compliant splitters. Before he left, he had me test the network and boom, my Mini now sees my Roamio.

I know Comcast has gotten a bad rap in the past, but today I have nothing but high praises for a company trying hard to provide great customer service.

Once again, thanks for all the help from the forum members.

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
Comcast truck roll could not have gone any better. ...

He isolated my connections in the box, installed the POE filers and MoCA compliant splitters. Before he left, he had me test the network and boom, my Mini now sees my Roamio.
Great to hear! Happy viewing... (Oh, and thanks for the feedback!)

p.s. If/when you have the time & inclination, I'd be interested in hearing what you're now seeing for MoCA stats (channel, TX/RX PHY rates, TX/RX power estimates -- or just screenshots, like before). Also, now that your MoCA network is isolated, you should be able to reset your MoCA devices to 'Auto' channel and sans privacy (if you haven't already!). See: Checking MoCA connection quality.

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I've never seen a power estimate right at 0.0 dBm (i.e. no boost or reduction in the normal MoCA signal). Max boost is +3.0 dBm and max reduction is -30.0 dBm.

That you're not seeing a reduction may mean there's room for improvement in your coax plant, possibly checking your connections and double-checking that your splitters are all MoCA-compliant. YMMV.

Happy MoCA'ing.

Attachments

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.