TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
He subsequently said he does not have MoCA enabled on Roamio. See post #13
Then he's well on his way to completing test #2, though I'd prefer the Roamio be fully powered-down, in order to eliminate any possible TiVo network configuration hinkiness that's been observed in the past.

With the Roamio powered-down, the Mini shouldn't be able to connect via MoCA. (I believe it's currently networked via the Ethernet/Powerline connection.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I understand all you are saying. I will check all of the suggestions you have mentioned. I did notice when the Mini connected through MoCA it did have a strange IP address.

I have a MS in computer science, but not a lot of experience with MoCA. I am learning and I thank you for all of your suggestions and info.

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
Motorola cable box is very old and does not have a DVR or even HDMI, only uses component video so I would guess that it can not create a MoCA network.
Agreed; almost certainly not.

Though feel free to power-off this device, as well, when trying test #2, "Searching for a mystery MoCA bridge." As Hicks would say, only way to be sure.

I have not looked at the wiring in the main box outside my apartment, but I will later today.
Look forward to hearing/seeing what you find. Take a pic w/ a smartphone, if needed, and/or jot down any model numbers you see for each component in the box.

p.s. I'd also be interested in a pic of the splitter connected to the Roamio, or its brand/model#. (Just to verify its specs.)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
... and please do not disappear. People come over here for help, and then we never hear back from them, for good or for bad. It sounds like they either find the solution and never bother to update and thank the kind people (like krkaufman) who helped them, or they give up entirely on the project, and again don't bother to say so in their own thread. It happens so many time.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well, I'll be disappearing for a while. Gotta take Mom out to dinner, then help her get a new TV.

Fingers crossed for positive test results. (i.e. any results that make sense)
Enjoy your time with your mom.

I was not talking about disappearing for today - rather disappearing forever.

What TV do you have in mind?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It is as you suggested, the mini is connecting to the internet and TiVo through another MoCA network. It got a strange ip address, but because everyone in my complex uses Comcast, the DNS was correct.

Is there anyway I can force the Mini to connect to my network? If not, will attaching a POE filter at the box solve my problem?

Thanks,

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
It is as you suggested, the mini is connecting to the internet and TiVo through another MoCA network. It got a strange ip address, but because everyone in my complex uses Comcast, the DNS was correct.

Is there anyway I can force the Mini to connect to my network? If not, will attaching a POE filter at the box solve my problem?

Thanks,
Excellent. And, yes, there is -- I believe -- and apologies for not posting it sooner. (Thought of it over an hour ago, but it slipped my mind when I got back to the keyboard to post the above 2 tests.)

First, one other thing I just thought of that also would have been useful in identifying your MoCA connection to a foreign entity... check your MoCA connection stats on your Mini. Via the MoCA stats you can see the other MoCA nodes visible, their transmission and power levels, as well as their MAC addresses. See:
edit: NOTE: You should take note of the MoCA channel being used by the Mini when it is connected to the foreign MoCA network --- and avoid/skip using that channel number when manually configuring your Roamio & Mini.​

As for trying to establish your MoCA network as-is, without making any of the desired/necessary changes to your network to bring it up to MoCA snuff, you could try...

Manual configuration of your MoCA Settings

1. When configuring the Roamio Pro with "Use this DVR to create a MoCA network," manually configure your MoCA network settings in the Roamio Pro, setting an explicit MoCA channel and enabling privacy -- starting with the lowest MoCA channel possible;
  2. Configure the Mini to "Connect using MoCA" using the matching settings entered into the Roamio, and see if you have any luck;
  3. Repeat both of the above for successive increments of the MoCA channel number, until you successfully connect. (hopefully?!?)

NOTES:
  • Adjusting the channels may find an open space available;
  • Using privacy ensures that only your MoCA devices can connect;
  • WARNING: Increasing the MoCA channel from 15 upward reduces the odds of MoCA connectivity if using sub-compliant splitters, amps, etc., as the higher channels move further and further away from the specs for a common cable coax splitter.

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
p.s. NOTE: You should take note of the MoCA channel being used by the Mini when it is connected to the foreign MoCA network --- and avoid/skip using that channel number when manually configuring your Roamio & Mini.

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
You'll want to review the multi-dwelling portion of my earlier post, here.

You *will* want/need a PoE MoCA filter installed, but properly installing a MoCA filter may not be possible if all your cable lines don't route to a single, isolated splitter dedicated to your apartment. Again, see the above multi-dwelling info, and post back if you have questions.

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
First, one other thing I just thought of that also would have been useful in identifying your MoCA connection to a foreign entity... check your MoCA connection stats on your Mini. Via the MoCA stats you can see the other MoCA nodes visible, their transmission and power levels, as well as their MAC addresses. See:
I'd be interested in hearing/seeing what MAC addresses are reported for the MoCA nodes when viewing your TiVo Mini's MoCA stats. I'd also be interested in seeing the MAC addresses for your Arris SBG6580's WAN & LAN ports (and wireless LAN, if easily found).

Just want to make sure that thing isn't doing MoCA. (mdavej has made me paranoid.)

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
[*]WARNING: Increasing MoCA channels reduces the odds of MoCA connectivity if using sub-compliant splitters, amps, etc., as the higher channels move further and further away from the specs for a common cable coax splitter.
For example... Note that upgrading their splitter to a MoCA-compatible model and getting a PoE MoCA filter in place has apparently just-now resolved the other TCFer's MoCA connection problem for their Mini.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10983020

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
You'll want to review the multi-dwelling portion of my earlier post, here.

You *will* want/need a PoE MoCA filter installed, but properly installing a MoCA filter may not be possible if all your cable lines don't route to a single, isolated splitter dedicated to your apartment. Again, see the above multi-dwelling info, and post back if you have questions.
Oh, to be clear, your cable provider should reconnect that equipment so that you and your neighbors aren't conflicting, including isolating the apartments and getting PoE MoCA filters installed for each apartment, as needed. If you're able to get it done, great, but I'd press Comcast to get their lines properly wired so that your home isn't being flooded by someone else's MoCA network -- :edit: especially since it appears that it is likely Comcast/Xfinity X1 gear (see: Arris, Technicolor MACs in followup post) to which your Mini is connecting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Here are photos of the mini when connected to the strange MoCA network.

If I read your post correctly, you think I might force the mini to connect to my MoCA by designating a specific channel on both the Roamio and the mini. Otherwise the only way to solve the problem is to install a POE filter at the incoming location and possibly a MoCA compliant spliter.

I have looked at the Arris closely and I do not see anything that suggests it can create it's own MoCA network.

When the mini is connected to the strange MoCA network, there is no client with the mini's MAC address showing in my router's DHCP table.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Hi,
It is possible that the OP's apartment is incorrectly wired, it is more likely that it is correctly wired/isolated, but lacks a proper MoCA filter installed on his line(s). In the latter case, his mini is bleeding over to another neighbor's MoCA and connecting to his non-MoCA filter installation. This is my guess going in.
Temporarily, until you can get Comcast out to install some missing filters, I would try enabling "encryption" on all the Tivos including the problem mini. I would also configure the network settings manually on the problem mini to force it to use the same subnet/etc. as the rest of his Tivos. Final step would be to bump up the MoCA channel one or 2 channels on all of his Tivos.

·
TDL shepherd
17,450 Posts
Here are photos of the mini when connected to the strange MoCA network.
Thanks. Good info. Images indicate:
  • foreign MoCA network is using channel 15
  • MoCA circuits are having to work pretty hard to maintain the connection, given the TX power estimates = 3.00 (I believe that's the max power allowed, a doubling, as opposed to a -30.0 dBm minimum power level.)
  • pretty poor PHY rates
  • MAC addresses looked-up via Wireshark lookup tool
It'll be very interesting to see your stats *IF* you're able to connect to the Roamio.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.