TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying many many times I was not successful to get my Mini to find my Roamio Plus using Moca. I connected the Mini to my router via power line and boom, it saw the Roamio on the first try.

Where can I look to see why my Moca is not working?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The first question is: do you have MoCa enabled in your coax line, where Mini is located? If yes, does the Mini connect to internet (see if it does under "networking" menus)?

Roamio Plus comes with a built in MoCa adapter, so it should create a MoCA network. Make sure you have it enabled by choosing "create MoCA network" on Roamio Plus.

Explaining here how your Roamio Plus and Mini are connected would help in people guiding you through the process, possibly with a diagram. Also, you don't say who your provider is.

Below is a link on TiVo support page on MoCA:

https://www.tivo.com/support/how-to/what-moca

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did turn on the MoCA on the Roamio Plus.
The mini did connect to the internet using MoCA and download the info from TiVo.
When the mini tried to connect to the Roamio I received the V78 could not find host dvr error.
Note: The mini used to connect to the Roamio by MoCA several months ago. I was gone for a long period of time and unplugged the mini from from the AC. When I returned and tried to repower the mini is when all of the troubles ensued.

My provider is Comcast.

Thanks,

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts

The mini did connect to the internet using MoCA and download the info from TiVo. When the mini tried to connect to the Roamio I received the V78 could not find host dvr error.

Note: The mini used to connect to the Roamio by MoCA several months ago. I was gone for a long period of time and unplugged the mini from from the AC. When I returned and tried to repower the mini is when all of the troubles ensued.

My provider is Comcast.
Short of a more comprehensive review of all your equipment and connections (and ideally a diagram, as mentioned by thyname), some questions...
  1. Is 'V78' the correct code? I find it strange that I'm getting zero search results for that code.
  2. What are you using for your modem and router/gateway (brands/models)?
  3. Do you have any other currently-connecting MoCA devices?
  4. Have you tried doing a factory reset (aka 'Clear & Delete Everything') of the Mini?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not 100% sure of the code number now as the mini connected with ethernet.

Modem is an Arris/Motorola SDBG 6580 and router is Buffalo Airstation N600 running dd-wrt.

I do not have any other devices on the MoCA network.

I have done a factory reset not once, but several times. Spent over an hour with TiVo support with not luck.

Would love to do a diagram, what is the easiest software to use?

Thanks,

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
I am not 100% sure of the code number now as the mini connected with ethernet.
Ok; we'll put a pin in that, for now.

Modem is an Arris/Motorola SDBG 6580 and router is Buffalo Airstation N600 running dd-wrt.
Also good, as the SBG6580 doesn't support MoCA (and so can't be conflicting).

I do not have any other devices on the MoCA network.

I have done a factory reset not once, but several times. Spent over an hour with TiVo support with no luck.
Noted.

Would love to do a diagram, what is the easiest software to use?
Pencil & paper work well. Don't get hung-up on making it look pretty; accuracy is what matters... e.g. including device models, how devices are connected via both coax and Ethernet, the specs of interconnecting components (switches, splitters, amps). See attached for examples, for inspiration. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The mini did connect to the internet using MoCA and download the info from TiVo.
When the mini tried to connect to the Roamio I received the V78 could not find host dvr error.

My provider is Comcast.

Thanks,
That error code does not ring a bell for me. I am not familiar with it, neither I have heard of it before.

Now that the Mini connected via Ethernet, I would recommend trying MoCA connection again. Once you plug in to MoCA, do a network test (under Network Menu), and see if Mini connects to internet OK.

If you post a diagram of connections, people here (most likely the networking Pros, Krkaufman and fcfc2) can troubleshoot.

MoCA can sometimes be a b**ch. many factors to cause to not work, such as splitters, cables, etc. etc.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Your modem could be the problem. It has built in Moca, so you may have two Moca "creators" on the network. Pick one, and turn off the other. There is also Moca encryption on the modem you'll need to disable if you stick with it as the creator.

Since you already have ethernet working, is there a reason you want to switch to Moca?

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
Your modem could be the problem. It has built in Moca, so you may have two Moca "creators" on the network.
Did I pull-up the wrong documentation....
Also good, as the SBG6580 doesn't support MoCA (and so can't be conflicting).
I'm not seeing any mention of MoCA in the documentation, nor does the device's front panel have the usual MoCA LED indicator.

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
If you have the ability to move the Mini, along w/ some spare coax and (hopefully) a known-good MoCA-compatible 2-way splitter, you could attempt the MoCA test in the following post, placing the Mini as close as possible to the MoCA-creating Roamio, to try to eliminate other coax component issues as the problem.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10980434

Given what you've done so far, it sounds like you could consider bullets 1-3 already completed, and start w/ #4.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is a diagram of my network. Please note I do have the coax connected to the Mini, but I DO NOT have MoCA enabled on the Roamio.

Only 1 long run on the whole network; from the router to the switch is approximately 25 ft. All other connections are 6 ft or less.

Attachments

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
Not that it relates to your issue.... but is your Arris SBG6580 configured for "bridge mode," then, so that it's effectively downgraded from a gateway to just a simple modem?

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts
Thanks for the diagram. Unfortunately, it doesn't clear-up the most important question...

How does the Mini's coax line connect back to the coax line connecting to your MoCA-creating Roamio Pro?

See attached:
Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram Plan

Though I'm wondering if the name of your diagram, 'Apartment Network.jpg,' doesn't hint at the underlying issue... that you live in a "multi-dwelling" building, and so your rooms may not be isolated from the rest of the apartment building/complex. For reference, you may want to take a look at this PDF from Cisco...
... specifically, pages 17 & 18 that discuss multi-dwelling buildings. See attached:
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Number

The "solution" on page 18 demonstrates how an apartment/condo *should* be wired, assuming a MoCA-compatible splitter is used, while page 17 may depict how it currently *is* wired -- noting that the splitter in the page 17 diagram may also be a MoCA-hostile splitter or amplifier, further complicating connectivity.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Motorola cable box is very old and does not have a DVR or even HDMI, only uses component video so I would guess that it can not create a MoCA network.

I have not looked at the wiring in the main box outside my apartment, but I will later today.

The really strange thing is that the MoCA network was working up until I left the Mini unplugged for several weeks and nothing on the coax side of the network has changed.

Thanks,

·
TDL shepherd
17,446 Posts

These 3 points, in combination with my speculation re: a multi-dwelling building, make me wonder if your Mini might have been connecting to/through a neighbor's MoCA network.

Running with the multi-dwelling speculation:
  • Yes, your Mini may be in another room in your apartment, but it doesn't know that, inherently. The Mini may be seeing a stronger MoCA signal coming from another device hanging off a shared splitter/amplifier.
  • Connecting via another MoCA bridge would explain why the Mini can connect to the Internet, but not see or connect to your DVR.
  • This also might explain why MoCA on the Mini used to work but doesn't now -- even if no hardware has changed -- if someone fired-up MoCA where it didn't used to be.

Things you might do to test the theory...
  1. Compare IP Settings

With the Mini connected via MoCA, check its network settings information ("View network status") to determine its:
    • IP address
    • subnet mask
    • gateway IP address
    • etc.

You can then compare these values to what your DVR and other functioning network gear report. All your gear should have the same gateway address, and would typically have the same first three integers making-up their individual IP addresses.
  2. Test for alternate MoCA bridge

Power-off the Roamio (supposedly your one MoCA bridge) and then power-cycle your Mini, and see if the Mini is still able to connect to the Internet via MoCA.

With your lone MoCA bridge fully powered-down, the basic MoCA connection for the Mini should fail.

p.s. Addendum to the above tests: If your Mini is connecting via your own network, you should be able to check your router to determine whether the Mini is connecting by looking at the list of connected clients. (This would certainly apply if the Mini is configured for DHCP, and possibly even if the Mini is using a manually-configured static IP.)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.