TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around, but didn't really find specific answers to my questions, so apologize if something is in fact out there.

I've got an old Sony Series 1 Tivo that I think is 3 or maybe 4 years old... losing count. I noticed on Tivo's Website they have a 40 hour series 2 for $30 after rebate. Thinking that this Tivo is getting long in the tooth, plus wanting a Tivo in the home gym is making me think about picking one up. I got a couple questions though and hoping someone can shed some light on them...

#1 - HD Upgrade. I've got a 100 GB drive in the old Tivo. Could I just clear out all the shows on the old Tivo, and put that drive in the new one? Or do I have to do something with the drive?

#2 - I think I can, but just to be sure, can the old Tivo still be used without the guide?

#3 - The $30 deal includes a commitment of 12 months of Tivo service. Just curious, has anyone tried to talk Tivo into letting you get two machines with a single 24 month commitment?

#4 - Eventually I'd like to get a second series 2 machine so I can share shows between machines. Do both Tivos need to have a Tivo service to do this?

Thanks!

·
Dumb Blond
45,302 Posts
1. There's no point in reusing an old 100GB drive. It has more value in the S1. You could put a 300 or 400 GB drive in a new S2 if you wanted to. Upgrading a S2 is similar to an S1.

2. Probably. A few Sonys were made late enough that they came with version 2.0 from the factory and require a sub, but most came with 1.3 and can be used without a sub..

3. No clue.

4. Yes. Besides, you need service to record.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stevel said:
1. There's no point in reusing an old 100GB drive. It has more value in the S1. You could put a 300 or 400 GB drive in a new S2 if you wanted to. Upgrading a S2 is similar to an S1.
Thanks for your reply. That drive does have value to me. One, I don't have to buy a new drive, two I would have the same storage as I do now, with which I've never exceeded, and finally I've got a Mac and there doesn't appear to be a way to bless the drive in OS X.

So, anyone know if a series 1 drive will work in a series 2 machine by just swapping them out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts