TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please.
I am trying to backup my failing 3TB drive out of a Roamio.
I have read though all the tutorials for MFStools, I couldn't find a reference to this error.
Im using MFStools 3.2 on Linux mint (fully installed)

sudo mfstool copy -a /dev/sda /dev/sdc
Scanning source drive. Please wait a moment.
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted

I installed the original 3TB WD purple drive 5 years ago and its just now starting to studder (/dev/sda). Still works in the roamio, so I'm trying to keep all my shows.

The new blank drive is exactly the same 3TB WD purple, just 5 years newer. (/dev/sdc)

Both drives are connected via SATA inside my tower computer and can be seen by Linux.

Terrestrial plant Screenshot Technology Font Software

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

I'll have to look into ddrescue and give that a try.
Dont want to screw it up so I guess it will take some googlin!

Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never seen that error before. Did you compile the code on your Linux Mint OS or copy the executables over from the ISO? Is your Mint OS 32 or 64 bit and what version is it?

The executables were compiled on an openSUSE distro. Not sure of the latest from equinoxe is still using openSUSE.

In your case, just clone the drive via hardware dock or software sine the drives are the same size.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I downloaded the ISO and ran the installer
OS is 64 bit Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

I have a StarTech clone dock (SDOCK2U313R) which can clone a drive without a computer. I have never tried it with a non-windows drive. So it makes me a bit nervous.

What software would you recommend if not using the dock? Windows software doesnt recognize the Tivo drives.

If using ddrescue is this the right string? : ddrescue -f -n /dev/[baddrive] /dev/[gooddrive] /root/recovery.log

BTW- I have two desktops, a laptop, a work laptop, and too many old motherboards to count....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The cloning docks do not care what is on the drive. It does a bit by bit copy.

Did you compile MFSTools on your Linux Mint?
Where did you download MFSTools.

ddrescue for Linux
HDD Raw Copy Tool for Windows.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Thank you very much for the info and all the work put into this project.

I downloaded MFS tools from github. Releases · thess/mfstools

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.