TiVo Community Forum banner
2141 - 2160 of 2183 Posts

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Just reading the forum while watching old and new recordings on my now working again TiVo Bolt, thanks forum!

The only issue I have to report is that even though it is recording fine and seems to get all my Cox PHX channels, it doesn’t seem entirely convinced there’s a cable card on the diagnostic screens. Boy it cries out if you unplug the TA though, and comes back when the tuning adapter powers up, so I’m just going to wait for the next firmware and hope that changes it. Also not going to try a re-pair just for diagnostics since it works. Maybe that’s the bad sectors that I couldn’t copy. Strangeness.
And someday I may try to get my old TiVo HD XL out of the boot loop I started trying to switch it to antennae on guided setup. Should have tried phoning home since it hadn’t been plugged in for at least a year, huh? Well, Internetting, no land line for me.
heh just remembered my first tivo in 2001 being so far from the phone jack I just bought a 25 for cord and hooked it up overnight every few days…..that was much easier to troubleshoot.
Power off the unit. Remove and insert the cableCARD several times. Insert the card one last time and power the unit back on. Sometimes dirty contacts can cause problems.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ClearToLand

·
Registered
71 Posts
First, thanks to everyone for the tools and helpful info in these forums. I've been reading and researching this for the last week, and I believe I have a handle on it.

I've got a WD40EFZX 4TB Red Plus to replace the original 3TB drive in my Roamio Pro which is working fine, just an upgrade/preventative maintenance.

I used WD Data Lifeguard to run the extended test, full erase, then extended test again. Each took right at 8 hours and passed.

I have the latest MFS Tools, 3.34-3, on a USB drive to boot from as my PC only has 2 SATA ports. Boot with secure boot disabled.

Type sudo lsblk -o name,size,vendor to identify the drives.

Then type sudo mfscopy -a /dev/sdX /dev/sdY where X is source and Y is target.

Then wait...lol

If there is an issue with the new drive when I put it in the Roamio the first thing to try is a kickstart 58.

Did I miss anything?

I do have a couple of quick questions:

1. Because I'm using a 4TB drive and not larger there are no additional steps needed to get the full capacity available. Correct?

2. Would permanently deleting the shows in recently deleted speed up the copy process, or does it not matter because it's essentially cloning the entire disk?

3 How long, approximately, should I expect it to take?

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
First, thanks to everyone for the tools and helpful info in these forums. I've been reading and researching this for the last week, and I believe I have a handle on it.

I've got a WD40EFZX 4TB Red Plus to replace the original 3TB drive in my Roamio Pro which is working fine, just an upgrade/preventative maintenance.

I used WD Data Lifeguard to run the extended test, full erase, then extended test again. Each took right at 8 hours and passed.

I have the latest MFS Tools, 3.34-3, on a USB drive to boot from as my PC only has 2 SATA ports. Boot with secure boot disabled.

Type sudo lsblk -o name,size,vendor to identify the drives.

Then type sudo mfscopy -a /dev/sdX /dev/sdY where X is source and Y is target.

Then wait...lol

If there is an issue with the new drive when I put it in the Roamio the first thing to try is a kickstart 58.

Did I miss anything?

I do have a couple of quick questions:

1. Because I'm using a 4TB drive and not larger there are no additional steps needed to get the full capacity available. Correct?

2. Would permanently deleting the shows in recently deleted speed up the copy process, or does it not matter because it's essentially cloning the entire disk?

3 How long, approximately, should I expect it to take?
I think you are spot on.

Nothing special to do for a 4 TB drive copy.

Not sure if permanently deleting speeds up the copy process. I would think it would since it copies recorded streams and if you delete there is no stream to copy.

Not sure about copy times. Has been a while since I have copied a drive. Some others here would have more recent info.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, complete disaster. Started the process and watched until it was at like 11.5% then went to bed. When I got up to check it was giving repeated errors like this:
Font Terrestrial plant Display device Natural landscape Multimedia

So I aborted then decided to put the original drive back in the Roamio to check that it was OK. When I plug it in all I get is the black screen with TiVo guy for a minute then all of the lights flash rapidly. Before the lights start flashing I can hear (with the cover of the Roamio off) the drive spin up and make a few normal sounding hdd noises then spin down then repeat. It does that a few times then the lights.

Kind of gutted as there were no apparent issues with the drive before I started. Didn't think anything would happen to it just by reading it.

Is there any hope? Suggestions for next steps welcome and appreciated.
Thanks

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Well, complete disaster. Started the process and watched until it was at like 11.5% then went to bed. When I got up to check it was giving repeated errors like this: View attachment 70123

So I aborted then decided to put the original drive back in the Roamio to check that it was OK. When I plug it in all I get is the black screen with TiVo guy for a minute then all of the lights flash rapidly. Before the lights start flashing I can hear (with the cover of the Roamio off) the drive spin up and make a few normal sounding hdd noises then spin down then repeat. It does that a few times then the lights.

Kind of gutted as there were no apparent issues with the drive before I started. Didn't think anything would happen to it just by reading it.

Is there any hope? Suggestions for next steps welcome and appreciated.
Thanks
Try to use ddrescue and copy the original drive to your 4 TB for now.

After you copy the drive check it with WD diagnostic

It was likely dying and the copy pushed it over the edge.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Hiw do I use ddrescue? Linux illiterate.
Well look here and here for some info and examples. ddscue should be on the MFSTools ISO. Just not sure how you would use the logfile with the iso.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I boot mfs tools now the drive spins up makes a few noises then stops. Repeats a few times then just stops. Then when I type lsblk -o name,size,vendor it doesn't list the drive, just the new drive and the USB drive I'm booting from. So without even being able to access the drive, I'm guessing there's nothing I can do?

Any harm in trying the new drive in the TiVo? It shows the same partitions as the old drive.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
When I boot mfs tools now the drive spins up makes a few noises then stops. Repeats a few times then just stops. Then when I type lsblk -o name,size,vendor it doesn't list the drive, just the new drive and the USB drive I'm booting from. So without even being able to access the drive, I'm guessing there's nothing I can do?

Any harm in trying the new drive in the TiVo? It shows the same partitions as the old drive.
Not sure how much copying it did. No harm overall. Worse case scenario it reformats the drive. If it does, use MFSR to modify the partition structure to avoid partitions over 2 TiB (unless you are on TE4 then it does not matter)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tried the new drive in the Roamio but goes to a red screen telling me to call support and says error loading slices.

Guessing I'll need to use data lifeguard to erase (hopefully quick will be enough) then the Roamio will format it. Then use MFSR (need to look into that). Assuming that all works I think I'll need the re-pair my cable card.

Does that sound right? Any other thoughts or ideas welcome. Thanks again.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Tried the new drive in the Roamio but goes to a red screen telling me to call support and says error loading slices.

Guessing I'll need to use data lifeguard to erase (hopefully quick will be enough) then the Roamio will format it. Then use MFSR (need to look into that). Assuming that all works I think I'll need the re-pair my cable card.

Does that sound right? Any other thoughts or ideas welcome. Thanks again.
Try running a KS58 on the drive as it boots

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
I actually did. Just ended up back at the red screen with error loading slices.
You might be able to run MFSR on the drive without erasing it but I would recommend a quick erase of the drive with WD Diagnostic and then let the TiVo put a new image on it.

Lucky thing you got your towel with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mfstool
Code:
Usage: ./mfstool <function> <args> or <function> <args>
Available functions:
  backup    Backup TiVo drive fast and small.
  restore   Restore mfstool backups to TiVo drive.
  copy      Copy TiVo drive to a new drive.
  add       Add partitions to your TiVo MFS volume.
  ck        Perform a simple consistency check on MFS.
  mls       List files in the MFS volume.
  supersize Supersize a TiVo drive.
  d         Dump raw data from MFS volume.
  info      Display information about MFS volume.
For help on a particular function: ./mfstool <function> -h
backup
Code:
Usage: ./backup [options] Adrive [Bdrive]
Options:
-h        Display this help message
-o file   Output to file, - for stdout
-1 .. -9  Compress backup, quick (-1) through best (-9)
-v        Do not include /var in backup
-d        Do not include /db (SQLite) in backup (Premiere and newer)
-s        Shrink MFS in backup (implied for v3 backups without -a flag)
-F format Backup using a specific backup format (v1, v3, winmfs)
-q        Do not display progress
-qq       Do not display anything but error messages
-t        Use total length of stream in calculations
-T        Backup total length of stream instead of used length
-a        Backup all streams
-i        Include all non-mfs partitions from Adrive (alternate, custom, etc.)
Available in deprecated/debug build only
-f max    Backup only fsids below max
-L max    Backup only streams less than max MiB
-D        Do not force loopset and demo files to be added
restore
Code:
Usage: ./restore [options] Adrive [Bdrive]
Options:
-i file   Input from file, - for stdin
-k        Optimize partition layout with kernels first
-r scale  Override v3 media blocksize of 20480 with 2048<<scale (scale=0 to 4)
-v size   Recreate /var as size MiB (Only if not in backup)
-d size   Recreate /db (SQLite in source) as size MiB (if not in backup)
-S size   Recreate swap as size MiB
-l        Leave at least 2 partitions free
-b        Force no byte swapping on restore
-B        Force byte swapping on restore
-w 32/64  Write MFS structures as 32 or 64 bit
-c size   Carve (leave free) in blocks on drive A
-C size   Carve (leave free) in blocks on Drive B
-m size   Maximum media partition size in GiB for v3 restore
-M size   Maximum drive size in GiB (ie lba28 would be 128)
-P        Do NOT optimize the partition layout
-z        Zero out partitions not backed up
mfscopy
Code:
Usage: ./mfscopy [options] SourceA[:SourceB] DestA[:DestB]
General options:
Source options:
-t        Use total length of stream in calculations
-T        Copy total length of stream instead of used length
-a        Copy all streams
-i        Include all non-mfs partitions from Adrive (alternate, custom, etc.)
-f max    Copy only fsids below max
-L max    Copy only streams less than max MiB
-D        Do not force loopset and demo files to be added
Target options:
-s        Shrink MFS whily copying (implied for v3 copies)
-k        Optimize partition layout with kernels first
-r scale  Override v3 media blocksize of 20480 with 2048<<scale (scale=0 to 4)
-v size   Recreate /var as size MiB and don't copy /var
-d size   Recreate /db (SQLite in source) as size MiB and don't copy /db
-S size   Recreate swap as size MiB
-l        Leave at least 2 partitions free
-b        Force no byte swapping on target
-B        Force byte swapping on target
-R        Just copy raw blocks (v1) instead of rebuilding data structures (v3)
-w 32/64  Write MFS structures as 32 or 64 bit
-c size   Carve (leave free) in blocks on drive A
-C size   Carve (leave free) in blocks on Drive B
-m size   Maximum media partition size in GiB for v3 restore
-P        Do NOT optimize the partition layout
-z        Zero out partitions not copied
supersize
Code:
Usage: ./supersize [Adrive [Bdrive]] [options values]
Options:
-m        MaxDiskSize in KB (Default is 2147483647)
-u        User SizeInKb in KB (Default is -1)
-c        TivoClips SizeInKb in KB (Default is -1)
mfsadd
Code:
Usage: ./mfsadd [options] Adrive [Bdrive] [NewApp NewMedia]
Options:
-r scale  Override media blocksize of 20480 with 2048<<scale (scale=0 to 4)
-x        Create partition(s) on all drives
-X drive  Create partition(s) on a specific drive
-m size   Maximum media partition size in GiB
-f        Use with -m to fill the drive multiple media partitions
NewApp / NewMedia
  Existing partitions (Such as /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14) to add to
  the MFS volume set
mfsinfo
Code:
Usage: ./mfsinfo Adrive [Bdrive]
Options:
mfsck
Code:
Usage: ./mfsck [options] Adrive [Bdrive]
Options:
-r        Revalidate TiVo partitions on Adrive [Bdrive]
-m [1-5]  Set volume header magic to OK, FS_CHK, LOG_CHK, DB_CHK, or CLEAN
-e [1-3]  Set vol_hdr.v64.off0c to 0x00000010, TiVo, or Dish
mfsd
Code:
Usage: ./mfsd [options] Adrive [Bdrive]
Options:
-f FSID  Dump a single FSID
-F        Dump ALL FSIDs
-i indoe  Dump a single inode
-l log    Dump a single transaction log
-s sector Read from sector, or from offset into file
-c count  Read count sectors, where applicable
-C        Perform consistency checkpoint before displaying data
-H        Display in hex, no matter the format
-b        Display in binary, no matter the format
-x        Display formatted values in hex
-z zone   Read from a single zonemap
-Z        Dump ALL zonemap info
mls
Code:
Usage: ./mls [options] Adrive [Bdrive] <path|fsid>
Options:
-l        long list (with size)
-R        recurse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Booting to Linux via USB or DVD, etc... is no longer needed. MFS Tools can now be run in the Windows subsystem for Linux. I built MFSTools 3.3 from source via Source Forge in Ubuntu running in W10. I brought up an old TiVo SSD that I'm going to play with in Linux.
Note: The Linux file system is browsable via file explorer in Windows.

I documented it on the TiVo subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tivo/comments/u1g70j

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Booting to Linux via USB or DVD, etc... is no longer needed. MFS Tools can now be run in the Windows subsystem for Linux. I built MFSTools 3.3 from source via Source Forge in Ubuntu running in W10. I brought up an old TiVo SSD that I'm going to play with in Linux.

I documented it on the TiVo subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tivo/comments/u1g70j
That is cool. Just looked at the link. Was concerned that you used the sourceforge code but you used the latest github code. All is good.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts

Have you used it to examine or copy a TiVo drive. Just wondering if the naming convention for drives survives compiling.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
So I tested out @Andy_Bantly instructions on compiling MFSTools in WSL. Before starting, however, you need a CPU that supports virtualization and that the support for that is turned on in the BIOS. WSL2 needs to be installed. So if you have installed WSL a while ago, you will need to update it.

I followed his instructions with the only change that I had to do is change the command line from "sudo ./autogen.sh" to "sudo sh ./autogen.sh".

The important thing is to be able to mount drives to the ubuntu virtual machine otherwise what is the use. You will need to be on Windows 11 Build 22000 in order to run these commands. After attaching the drives to your computer and within an administrator power shell box run these commands:
GET-CimInstance -query "SELECT * from Win32_DiskDrive" - this identifies the drives connected to the computer. The disk paths are under Device ID
wsl --mount <DiskPath> - <DiskPath> would be replaced with \\.\PhysicalDrive* and replace * with the drive number identified in the previous command with the drive you want to mount to the Ubuntu Virtual Machine.

To unmount a drive
wsl --unmount <DiskPath>

Once the drives are mounted start the Ubuntu Virtual Machine and type lsblk to list the attached drives. Remember when you run mfstools you need to type sudo prior to the commands.

2141 - 2160 of 2183 Posts