TiVo Community Forum banner
2121 - 2140 of 2183 Posts

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Thank you all for weighing in. I haven't gotten to ddrescue yet as last night I did figure out the stupid syntax and started the copy which completed in the last hour -without copy errors- what? Now granted it was a copy from a failing drive that had errors and had to slow down the transfer a few times early in, but wow…. Attached image is the entire log. So what should I try….
1) The original to backup data, if it boots. Extra careful route? Shouldn't hurt anything unless my drive scan or mfstools setting the boot drive as 3 if it wasn't makes tivo think it is a Different drive. Of course if that then the copy will also be screwed.
2) Go for it, I have a copy on a good drive. It will work or not, right? If it doesn't, maybe neither does the old drive.
3) DDrescue copy it. Is that a better image (If the drive doesn't fail on the copy)? Of can I trust the fabulous mfttools since it completed without reported errors?

View attachment 67375
It looks like it copied okay. You can run mfsinfo on the new drive to verify the structure. If it checks out, then I would boot it up. I do recommend rebooting it and running a Kickstart 58 on it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
mfsinfo is a good idea.
So of course the result it worries me, in a nutshell, the four partitions are copied, but not the same size. Does the Bolt care about that, count partitions, rely on the two '800 MiB" are the same as they are likely the boot partitions vs Data, and that the total MFS sectors, volume size and lnodes are the same? To a human it's not exact, but am I looking at things that maybe the TiVo doesn't care about.
(Yes this is the bargaining stage of denial....)

But if someone has experience on this, that would be helpful. It's unlikely but possible ... really weird that the sector pairs are the same in the copy, maybe the data is already broken.
Font Display device Electronic device Signage Number

Font Screenshot Darkness Multimedia Event

Otherwise if someone can point me at a post or site with the precise DDcopy commands I should try another copy with, and how to reach that inside MFStools ? :)

Slow but steady.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
So of course the result it worries me, in a nutshell, the four partitions are copied, but not the same size. Does the Bolt care about that, count partitions, rely on the two '800 MiB" are the same as they are likely the boot partitions vs Data, and that the total MFS sectors, volume size and lnodes are the same?
That looks like a good copy. The two 800 MiB partitions are MFS Application partitions that have a fairly typical file system with folders, sub-folders and smaller files. The other two partitions are MFS Media partitions that contain the actual recordings. TiVo still uses an old algorithm that allocates approximately 65% of the drive to partition 13, which is actually located near the beginning of the disk. That's followed by the application partitions and whatever's left is allocated to partition 11 at the end of the disk. It made a certain amount of sense back in the Series 1/2 days.

MFS Tools uses a more evenly balanced layout for the media partitions, but it makes no difference to the TiVo once it's booted and the file system is mounted.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Thank you all for weighing in. I haven't gotten to ddrescue yet as last night I did figure out the stupid syntax and started the copy which completed in the last hour -without copy errors- what? Now granted it was a copy from a failing drive that had errors and had to slow down the transfer a few times early in, but wow…. Attached image is the entire log. So what should I try….
1) The original to backup data, if it boots. Extra careful route? Shouldn't hurt anything unless my drive scan or mfstools setting the boot drive as 3 if it wasn't makes tivo think it is a Different drive. Of course if that then the copy will also be screwed.
2) Go for it, I have a copy on a good drive. It will work or not, right? If it doesn't, maybe neither does the old drive.
3) DDrescue copy it. Is that a better image (If the drive doesn't fail on the copy)? Of can I trust the fabulous mfttools since it completed without reported errors?

View attachment 67375
Well this is pretty exciting, can't wait to see how it works out. I'd have more confidence in the "copy" if you had used DDrescue to make it, since DDRescue will try to actually fix errors (you don't have another 3TB 3.5" CMR drive sitting around do you?). Extra safe would be to redo the copy with DDrescue before hooking up IMO but that is up to you. As you know it's a one time shot, if this copy does not boot you're probably done trying to save the recordings..............

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
When hooking up the "copy" might be a good idea to NOT have internet connected. Do nothing with the new drive, like trying to record something, delete anything etc. Not sure if it would help but if net not connected perhaps could be ok if it does not boot, and it does not format the new drive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a moment and plugged in the drive but left the case open for the moment, and got a mystery I fixed and one I can:
It's now stuck in a kickstart loop that I triggered.
The happy part:
Green light, yellow flashes then goes to green. No picture.
Plugged in digital audio and it bloops, hit play and heard a show. Sounds like it copied and booted!
WHERE THE HELL IS MY PICTURE! Do Not tell me this HDMI port failed like my XL, because THAT I could still watch with the Component cables and this thing doesn't Do that....
-Went straight into a monitor, Got sound and picture but inverted colors...Shows there and playable (except one, ironically, "The Big Sleep" would not, but "Staying Alive" did. Carefully disconnected and reconnected HDMI at the box, direct to tivo . Colors and picture good.
So the copy worked to a large percentage, saved my shows, saved my lists, and plays things. Hurrah! I have photographed all the pages.
HDMI Won't handshake through the receiver, will troubleshoot cables later.
Called that a huge victory and will troubleshoot HDMI later.
Thanks everybody!
The sad part:
Someone had recommended I do a kickstart 58 so it could sort out and take ownership of the file system. Good plan, and I couldn't get 58 to start. Fine, 57 does that too. Mind you I have not connected anything yet, no internet or coax, just power and HDMI.
Got 57 to start, it says hey, problem, going to check might be 3 hours, don't reboot ... it reboots itself, repeat repeat repeat....
SO, is there a way to knock it out of the loop?
Or do have I go back and copy again, maybe this time with a DD copy....
Point me to a page, thanks everybody.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think this thread will tell me what to do with DDRescue DDRescue off MFSTools CD

Assuming the command ddrescue -d -f -r3 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
/media/PNY_usb/rescue.logfile

will call the program and I have typed -sudo earlier to for rights (or is it sudo- )
also I'd change the end to my usb name and logfile.

again unless someone knows how to kill a 57 loop because I copied a flaky image onto a good new drive but TiVo doesn't know that :)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I think this thread will tell me what to do with DDRescue DDRescue off MFSTools CD

will call the program and I have typed -sudo earlier to for rights (or is it sudo- )

again unless someone knows how to kill a 57 loop because I copied a flaky image onto a good new drive but TiVo doesn't know that :)
\
Actually there is an MFST command that should get it out of the loop. I can't think of it off the top of my head but Jmbach will know. And the Ddrescue thread was mine, I tried it with a drive going bad. Got a working copy, however it was unable to fix everything so I have errors on the copy, in fact some items in my season passes actually say "corrupt, please delete" Over 2000 recordings, I'll guess some of those bad too but will not know until I try to play. Amazingly the "bad" drive still mostly works in the Tivo. I use a library of drives on that Roamio, all different, won't get into that here.

I don't think you want to use the -r3 parameter. That's the one I talked about earlier, tries TOO hard to fix some errors to the point where can damage the original. My first run went ok, copy complete, some errors not fixed. It then ran backwards, took a long time and was unable to fix some errors. If you read the thread fully I think I posted the command and parameters I used and a summary of the results.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Oh, since you hooked up the "copy" the Bolt probably now expects to see THAT drive. So if you are going to run DDrescue, are you planning on running it on the original or the copy? Since you seem to have access to your recordings/settings make sure you backup everything you want to keep before you start swapping drives again (non copy protected off course, won't do those). Can do some things with Tivo Online. Shows should be able to do direct if you have a TE3 Tivo hooked up on same acct.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts

Be careful with those kickstarts. They work differently with different model Tivos and OS. If someone says use a 58 that does not mean you can use a 57. In fact on a certain Roamio the 58 will work but the 57 puts it into a boot loop.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
I had a moment and plugged in the drive but left the case open for the moment, and got a mystery I fixed and one I can:
It's now stuck in a kickstart loop that I triggered.
The happy part:
Green light, yellow flashes then goes to green. No picture.
Plugged in digital audio and it bloops, hit play and heard a show. Sounds like it copied and booted!
WHERE THE HELL IS MY PICTURE! Do Not tell me this HDMI port failed like my XL, because THAT I could still watch with the Component cables and this thing doesn't Do that....
-Went straight into a monitor, Got sound and picture but inverted colors...Shows there and playable (except one, ironically, "The Big Sleep" would not, but "Staying Alive" did. Carefully disconnected and reconnected HDMI at the box, direct to tivo . Colors and picture good.
So the copy worked to a large percentage, saved my shows, saved my lists, and plays things. Hurrah! I have photographed all the pages.
HDMI Won't handshake through the receiver, will troubleshoot cables later.
Called that a huge victory and will troubleshoot HDMI later.
Thanks everybody!
The sad part:
Someone had recommended I do a kickstart 58 so it could sort out and take ownership of the file system. Good plan, and I couldn't get 58 to start. Fine, 57 does that too. Mind you I have not connected anything yet, no internet or coax, just power and HDMI.
Got 57 to start, it says hey, problem, going to check might be 3 hours, don't reboot ... it reboots itself, repeat repeat repeat....
SO, is there a way to knock it out of the loop?
Or do have I go back and copy again, maybe this time with a DD copy....
Point me to a page, thanks everybody.
I do not recommend a Kickstart 57 as it always boot loops for me afterwards in Roamios and Bolts. You can correct this by using mfsck and mark the system good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
TLDR: I need to know how to page/scroll up in DDrescue under MFSTools

I do not recommend a Kickstart 57 as it always boot loops for me afterwards in Roamios and Bolts. You can correct this by using mfsck and mark the system good.
So I should have been patient ?! :) Good to know there is a recovery trick for Boot loop kickstart 57, using the keywords here so someday someone else (or me ) might find it, couldn't last night. But i figured I would just try the other recommended method.

So I spent much time educating myself on ddrescue and ran
ddrescue -d -f -r1 -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

which completed recently. Would love to scroll up and see what's just above the last screen but all page shift ctrl arrow etc. command combinations I find didn't work in MFStools. I will leave it all hooked up for the moment in case someone gets back but I really want to try this in the tivo again :)

Checked in overnight a lot and there were no errors but about 7 times near the start it slowed down for "too long to read" (like mfstools report) and I know there were 6-7 bright red spots toward the front in my spinrite scan, but everything else seemed golden. Now that it reversed at the end all I see is a page of errors which I think is just those few at the start.

Would like to prove it before I pull the drive but I will end up going for it if I can't since it seems the same result as last time. The old drive has issues I know and didn't crash. So I'm confident it will boot and some things will have a few errors, it literally says 99.99 percent recovered. Great odds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DDrescue midway progress (over 7 hours in) also showing my start command (and my fail at saving a logfile to a usb, didn't know the syntax and wasn't going to use it to restart the job.
and the last screen it's more than one error line at the end because it's every miniscule sector, but I know this is about 7 bad spots all next to each other from SpinRite display

Attachments

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
DDrescue midway progress (over 7 hours in) also showing my start command (and my fail at saving a logfile to a usb, didn't know the syntax and wasn't going to use it to restart the job.
and the last screen it's more than one error line at the end because it's every miniscule sector, but I know this is about 7 bad spots all next to each other from SpinRite display
Hopefully the bad spots are located within a recording and nothing critical.

Kickstart 58 can repair some of the critical losses which is why I perform one after every copy I do since it is usually rescuing a bad drive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I could not for the life of me get the Kickstart 58 to start on the Bolt Vox which is why I foolishly branched out to 57 :) Maybe I have a model where it's just not available?
But that at least confirmed I knew how to do time the kickstart presses. Going to plug in my re-done drive copy shortly, and fingers crossed...

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
I could not for the life of me get the Kickstart 58 to start on the Bolt Vox which is why I foolishly branched out to 57 :) Maybe I have a model where it's just not available?
But that at least confirmed I knew how to do time the kickstart presses. Going to plug in my re-done drive copy shortly, and fingers crossed...
As long as the lights verified you entered a working number you have done the Kickstart correctly. A 58 may only show a brief screen and that is it. Depending if it detects anything it may just reboot or take 3 hours.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah that's the weird thing I didn't see the confirmation lights (as I recall, been through a lot!). But if you say it may run and not have any feedback I will run it now, because my copy is up and running again, yes! (I've have three bolts this is the first one I got to rescue successfully, Happy New Year!)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yeah that's the weird thing I didn't see the confirmation lights (as I recall, been through a lot!). But if you say it may run and not have any feedback I will run it now, because my copy is up and running again, yes! (I've have three bolts this is the first one I got to rescue successfully, Happy New Year!)
Congratulations!! You were fortunate the errors were in a place where the copy would work.

As for Bolts and Edge in general, since you can easily lose everything if/when there is a drive failure, this is what I recommend.

1. If using an internal 2.5" drive at best they usually only last 2-3 years. SO, after maybe 2 years (before the current drive starts to fail), buy a new drive of the same size (make SURE it is a CMR drive, not SMR) and clone to the new drive. Then use the new drive and repeat every two years. Probably $60 or less for the drive (if 2TB or less, CMR 3TB difficult to find and expensive and there are no CMR 2.5 over 3TB). Then just repurpose the current drive since cannot keep as a backup. If doing every two years would cost about $30 per year to prevent failures and loss of everything.

2. If using external with 3.5" CMR drive should last 4-5 years or more. So maybe do the clone every 4-5 years. 3.5" CMR drives can easily be found, current models too (unlike CMR 2.5s), and reasonable prices. So if you clone every 4 years probably only $15-20 a year or less to prevent failures (if 4TB or under). If you purchased an expensive external like WK, don't have to buy another external, just remove the current drive from the enclosure, clone it to the new drive, then put the new drive in the enclosure. And repurpose the old drive.

Pretty much with Bolt and Edge which are difficult to repair without losing everything a clone every 2 years for 2.5" or 4 years for 3.5" (again, CMR drives only for the clones) should keep you up and running for a long time for reasonable cost, $15-30 a year or so depending on if 2.5 or 3.5.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another success Roamio story. Most of it has likely been already covered, but the information is so old, and the threads are so long. Those who are just starting might find useful stuff here.

I bought mine in 2015, and lately both my previously recorded shows and live TV have developed occasional "stumbles", where there is a one second glitch. I thought my HDD must be dying.

- so I bought a Red Plus 4TB drive (WD40EFZX-OEM). It goes on sale for $70 from time to time at newegg. Because my existing drive might be damaged, I wanted to keep it simple and stay below 4TB.

- tested it with WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for DOS, wrote zeroes, and tested again. I'm spending three days of my life on this; might as well make sure I don't have to do it again in several months. For that reason I would also suggest getting the largest possible drive and be worry-free for several years.

- used kmttg to back up my thumbs up/down etc setting and pytivo-d my most important recordings in case things go wrong. This might not have really been necessary because if something goes wrong, as long your original drive doesn't fall in the toilet, you can start over (or just put it back in and abandon the project).

- some have had trouble opening the case. Search youtube, it's easy. Just make sure you have Torx-8 and 10 drivers.

- go here, download the 492 MB file named "live-image-amd64.hybrid.iso". On that page there is a warning about "AMD64 only" that might confused with AMD/Intel processor distinction, but no. Pretty much all 64-bit processors will work. burn that image to a disk.

- Now hook up your old and new drive to a same computer and boot from the disc. There are several options; run the top kernel (tivo partitions, not the failsafe)

- when it runs and the command prompt is ready, type (without quotes) "sudo lsblk -o name,size,vendor" and ENTER, which will tell you which drive is which. If both your drives are similar and it's hard to tell them apart, the source drive will have something like 13 sub-partitions.

- now run "sudo mfscopy -a /dev/sdX /dev/sdY", where X is the source and Y is the target. Now it starts the copying. I had about 2TBs of recordings, and it took roughly 10 hours. Along the route, you may get a couple messages saying something took too long to respond, and the speed is downgraded to XYZ. It's normal, it's merely adjusting the copying speed to a sustainable level.

That's it. The funny thing is, I tested the old drive with WD data lifeguard a couple times, and it says fine (I didn't erase and test because I'm haven't decided what to do with the drive yet). Even if the drive was still healthy, it had spun non-stop for 6 years, so I'll consider it a preventive maintenance, I guess.

Maybe I can use the old drive for some kind of RAID configuration where it merely serves as a temporary backup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just reading the forum while watching old and new recordings on my now working again TiVo Bolt, thanks forum!

The only issue I have to report is that even though it is recording fine and seems to get all my Cox PHX channels, it doesn’t seem entirely convinced there’s a cable card on the diagnostic screens. Boy it cries out if you unplug the TA though, and comes back when the tuning adapter powers up, so I’m just going to wait for the next firmware and hope that changes it. Also not going to try a re-pair just for diagnostics since it works. Maybe that’s the bad sectors that I couldn’t copy. Strangeness.
And someday I may try to get my old TiVo HD XL out of the boot loop I started trying to switch it to antennae on guided setup. Should have tried phoning home since it hadn’t been plugged in for at least a year, huh? Well, Internetting, no land line for me.
heh just remembered my first tivo in 2001 being so far from the phone jack I just bought a 25 for cord and hooked it up overnight every few days…..that was much easier to troubleshoot.

2121 - 2140 of 2183 Posts