TiVo Community Forum banner
1481 - 1500 of 1572 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't have any plans to rewrite it at this time. You can go to 14TB with MFS Tools 3.x.
Don't you just have to tweak it a little to to do 14TB vs 8TB?

Its not like that 2TB limit that was due to the CPU/OS limitation that some devices have .

It almost seem like the Amish saying that what they are using is just the right amount of technology with the horse and buggy being the 8TB hard drive.
Like freeze framing some random place and saying nothing above this line may be crossed.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,653 Posts

·
HD Tech
1,055 Posts

Its not like that 2TB limit that was due to the CPU/OS limitation that some devices have .

It almost seem like the Amish saying that what they are using is just the right amount of technology with the horse and buggy being the 8TB hard drive.
Like freeze framing some random place and saying nothing above this line may be crossed.
A few alternatives you can explore:

-Depending on TiVo model, sometimes you can add an external drive for additional storage

-Find someone who has written software that supports what you are trying to do.

-Write a better utility yourself, making it available for free to everyone the way MFS Tools is.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Unfortunately a little tweak just won't cut it here.

Correct. It is an actual bug in the TiVo software. By report they apparently fixed it in the latest TE4 release but TE3 still has it. Talk to TiVo about it and I would appreciate it if you can get them to fix it for TE3.

If you are on TE4, drop a large drive in it and it should format it to the correct size. Just make sure you backup all your recordings prior to formatting a new drive so you can restore them afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,653 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks ggieseke for this great utility!

A few quick questions all:

Background / setup:
I have a Roamio (Series 5) running software version 20.7.4b.RC3...
I have a 3 TB HDD in there now (upgraded back in 2015) and want to upgrade to 8 TB.

I bought an 8 TB WD EasyStore today (will need to 'shuck' it since it is an external drive in an enclosure).

Regarding the following comment by ggieseke in post #1: "Edit: Roamios running 20.5.6 or later should use version 1.0.0.2 from post #2."

Question 1: I assume the comment in post #2 (in italics above) was before 1003 and 1004 were developed?
Meaning I can use msfr1004 to format my 8TB HDD, even with TiVO version 20.7.4.xxxxx right?

Question 2: I plan to copy my 3TB HDD TiVO recordings to my 8 TB HDD.
Should I copy them over as the FINAL step, e.g. follow standard steps 1-5 as follows and then as final step, copy my recordings from the 3 TB drive (after pulling the old 3 TB drive out and connecting the new 8 TB drive; guess I would connect the old TiVO 3 TB HDD to my laptop with a SATA to USB adapter (I already have a SATA to USB adapter from UGreen) to the 8 TB drive using 'TiVO Desktop' software?

STEP 1. Put the drive in your Roamio and power it on. It will take about four minutes to auto-format the drive. When it gets to the first Guided Setup screen, power it off. The resulting drive will only use a fraction of the total capacity, but we will fix that in the next steps.

STEP 2. Download mfsr and unzip it to somewhere on your computer.

STEP 3. Connect the drive to your computer. USB 2.0 adapters will work, but are much slower than USB 3.0 or a SATA direct connection.

STEP 4. Run mfsr with an account that's a member of the Administrators group or right-click it and choose Run as Administrator. Follow the instructions from there to reformat the drive to use its full capacity.

STEP 5. Put the drive back in the TiVo and enjoy.

STEP 6. (ADDED BY ME) - Copy TiVO recordings from old 3 TB HDD to newly installed 8 TB in Roamio, using TiVO software.
For the last step, can I use 'TiVO Desktop' sofware OR PyTiVO software to copy the files over from the old HDD onto the new 8 TB drive once the new one is installed in the Roamio?

If someone can confirm I am on the right track, I would appreciate it, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,489 ·
Thanks ggieseke for this great utility!

A few quick questions all:

Background / setup:
I have a Roamio (Series 5) running software version 20.7.4b.RC3...
I have a 3 TB HDD in there now (upgraded back in 2015) and want to upgrade to 8 TB.

I bought an 8 TB WD EasyStore today (will need to 'shuck' it since it is an external drive in an enclosure).

Regarding the following comment by ggieseke in post #1: "Edit: Roamios running 20.5.6 or later should use version 1.0.0.2 from post #2."

Question 1: I assume the comment in post #2 (in italics above) was before 1003 and 1004 were developed?
Meaning I can use msfr1004 to format my 8TB HDD, even with TiVO version 20.7.4.xxxxx right?

Question 2: I plan to copy my 3TB HDD TiVO recordings to my 8 TB HDD.
Should I copy them over as the FINAL step, e.g. follow standard steps 1-5 as follows and then as final step, copy my recordings from the 3 TB drive (after pulling the old 3 TB drive out and connecting the new 8 TB drive; guess I would connect the old TiVO 3 TB HDD to my laptop with a SATA to USB adapter (I already have a SATA to USB adapter from UGreen) to the 8 TB drive using 'TiVO Desktop' software?

STEP 1. Put the drive in your Roamio and power it on. It will take about four minutes to auto-format the drive. When it gets to the first Guided Setup screen, power it off. The resulting drive will only use a fraction of the total capacity, but we will fix that in the next steps.

STEP 2. Download mfsr and unzip it to somewhere on your computer.

STEP 3. Connect the drive to your computer. USB 2.0 adapters will work, but are much slower than USB 3.0 or a SATA direct connection.

STEP 4. Run mfsr with an account that's a member of the Administrators group or right-click it and choose Run as Administrator. Follow the instructions from there to reformat the drive to use its full capacity.

STEP 5. Put the drive back in the TiVo and enjoy.

STEP 6. (ADDED BY ME) - Copy TiVO recordings from old 3 TB HDD to newly installed 8 TB in Roamio, using TiVO software.
For the last step, can I use 'TiVO Desktop' sofware OR PyTiVO software to copy the files over from the old HDD onto the new 8 TB drive once the new one is installed in the Roamio?

If someone can confirm I am on the right track, I would appreciate it, thanks!
If you want to keep your recordings the best bet is to copy the 3TB drive directly to the 8TB drive using the mfscopy command in MFS Tools 3.x, then add two more partitions using the mfsadd command. You wouldn't use MFSR at all in this scenario. See the following thread for more info.

DIY 10TB Roamio

If you can get it to run at all, TiVo Desktop will only let you copy recordings from your running 3TB drive to your computer, then send them back later.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you want to keep your recordings the best bet is to copy the 3TB drive directly to the 8TB drive using the mfscopy command in MFS Tools 3.x, then add two more partitions using the mfsadd command. You wouldn't use MFSR at all in this scenario. See the following thread for more info.

DIY 10TB Roamio

If you can get it to run at all, TiVo Desktop will only let you copy recordings from your running 3TB drive to your computer, then send them back later.
Thanks! Let me check that thread.

I did more reading up after posting and was just about done reading those (before your reply).
I believe I could also use KMTTG to copy the shows from my 3 TB HDD (while still in the Roamio) to a computer HDD.
I could then later use PyTiVO to copy them back from my PC to the 8 TB drive right?

But I assume the solution you provided above ('DIY 10TB Roamio' thread) is my best bet as you noted, so let me check that thread now!
Thanks again.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,653 Posts
Using MFSTools will be a long process time. Transferring shows is a longer process and more tedious as you can only transfer a few shows at a time back to the Tivo.

Note: Tivo is not a good long term storage medium, if the Tivo fails, you lose it all. But if its kept on a computer HD, then any failures with that drive is most recoverable.

Reactions: njweb

·
Registered
110 Posts

DIY 10TB Roamio

Thanks again! Replying, with a quote to your post again, now that I read the above thread.
The mfscopy method you suggested is indeed much faster it seems, after comparing that to the PyTiVo Desktop method e.g.

Steps (the way I see it) using mfscopy method for MY particular scenario * . This is based on copying steps from the post by jmbach in the above 'DIY 10TB Roamio' thread and then editing it with my specifics (credit to jmbach for the method and steps).

* My scenario is to copy my 3 TB HDD (incl. my TiVO recordings) to my 8TB HDD:

Steps the way I see it (correct me if I am wrong - would be great if someone could verify these steps):
1) Remove my current 3TB HDD (which contains all my TiVO recordings) from my Roamio.

2) Download the following disc image (there are 3 in the post): MFSTools 3.32-devel ISO
Live ISO. md5 hash for ISO: 378e9d1b439d221ba4aafb2b9074d556

3) Hook up both the old 3 TB Roamio HDD and the new blank unformatted 8 TB HDD to one of my computers.

4) Boot the computer up with the MFSTools 3.32 image (specific one above, right?), using username root with password tivo

5) Run the following command at the command line; this is to determine the names of my drives: lsblk -o name,size,vendor
sdX is my source drive and sdY is my target drive.

6) Run the command mfscopy -am 2040 /dev/sdX /dev/sdY and then wait about 5 - 6 hours I reckon for 3 TB of data to copy from 3TB to 8TB HDD at ~100 MBps).

7) Once that command is finished, put the 8 TB (target drive) into the TiVo and make sure it boots up properly and make sure it connects to TiVo successfully.

8) Once that is done, return the drive to the computer. Will still use sdY for the target drive.

9) Reverify the target drive name by using the command lsblk -o name,size,vendor.

10) Next run the command mfsadd -xcm 2040 /dev/sdY (to add about 2 TB of recording space and place the partitions in order to allow them to be coalesced when moved). As noted by jmbach if there is less than 2 TB of space, it will use whatever space I have left to add recording time.

11) Once that runs successfully then run the command mfsaddfix /dev/sdY.

12) (is this correct too:) Repeat step 10 (mfsadd) and step 11 (mfsaddfix) (2 more times?) till I get to my total of 8 TB of space, right?

13) Install the 8 TB drive in Roamio again.

Hope I understood it all and captured all the right steps above?

I will post this in jmbach's thread since I will now be using his method, instead of mfsr, as you suggested.
Thanks again!

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,653 Posts
sdX and sdY are just examples. Yours will vary as it can be sda or sdb, etc. You would need to determine which is your source and which is the target.

Reactions: njweb

·
Registered
110 Posts
sdX and sdY are just examples. Yours will vary as it can be sda or sdb, etc. You would need to determine which is your source and which is the target.
Thanks! Yes, I did get that, but I do appreciate the clarification / warning (in case I hadn't understood that since that could have caused problems to say the least if I had the wrong drive letter specified!).

I ordered a second SATA to USB adapter in the meantime (been using one to successfully connect some old 3.5" internal drives to my laptop since I no longer have the desktop they were originally installed in):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYU0EAU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Although if I wait to shuck the external one till after I have copied the 3TB of recordings to the 8 TB drive, I could get away with one I guess, since after step 7 is done, I will not need to connect both drives to my computer anymore, so I can shuck the 3 TB after step 6 and then use the single SATA to USB adapter with the 8 TB drive for the last few steps on the computer (i.e. steps 10 - 12).

Do all the steps look correct the way I documented them?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Unfortunately a little tweak just won't cut it here.

Only problem with te4 or hydra is even if it can auto format an 8tb drive is if you backed up your recordings to a computer is they won't transfer back from a computer and with tivo online it is sneaky and finicky, and will look like it transfered a complete recording but only transfer 24 minutes of the program, you are much better off reverting the tivo back to te3 after you back up your recordings.

Then using mffs reformator or following the 10 tb diy romio method using mffs tools 3.2.

if it wIll also work work on tivo bolts, which I have not tested yet.

After you do that if you want to upgrade back to hydra or te3.

although I do not recomend it as with te4 they introduced a software update or patch that fries out the internal power sata connector on the motherboard, and also does not power down the hard drive when in standby causing premature hard drive wear as the drives run hotter in tivo bolts,, vs romios.

Correct. It is an actual bug in the TiVo software. By report they apparently fixed it in the latest TE4 release but TE3 still has it. Talk to TiVo about it and I would appreciate it if you can get them to fix it for TE3.

If you are on TE4, drop a large drive in it and it should format it to the correct size. Just make sure you backup all your recordings prior to formatting a new drive so you can restore them afterwards.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
How about cleaning up your post a little. Looks like you intermingled your comments with my comments and attributed all to me as a quote.

Reactions: krkaufman

·
Registered
458 Posts
How about cleaning up your post a little. Looks like you intermingled your comments with my comments and attributed all to me as a quote.

Sorry was replying to the other guy about te4 and reformatting, I did create spaces in the paragraphs but forget to create a space at the top, after yours, will be more mindful next time.

Thanks for all your work with mffs 3.2 tools will be very soon using it and your method for an 8 tb drive for my series 4.

I do have one quick question, though will the 10 tb diy for romios also work with bolts? or is their a different method or thread for the bolts?

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Sorry was replying to the other guy about te4 and reformatting, I did create spaces in the paragraphs but forget to create a space at the top, after yours, will be more mindful next time.

Thanks for all your work with mffs 3.2 tools will be very soon using it and your method for an 8 tb drive for my series 4.

I do have one quick question, though will the 10 tb diy for romios also work with bolts? or is their a different method or thread for the bolts?
The same method will work for Bolts

Reactions: MrQblets
1481 - 1500 of 1572 Posts