TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Max size Hard Drive for Series2? Humax?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ThreeSoFar 
#1 ·
I upgraded my series 1 with 2 80gB drives (way back when that was montrous).

I upgraded my DirecTiVo with 2 120 gB drives when that was the biggest TiVo's could support.

Now I am seeing Hinsdale selling 160Gb and bigger drives. Is there something new about the New Tivo's that let them recognize more that 127Gb (or whatever size it was)?

I have an early model Series 2 (actually my friends do) that I want to upgrade...and would love to also upgrade my Humax DVD-R unit.

Any limitations on drive size for either??

Thanks

#4 ·
There is no FAQ I know of.

Basically and TiVo with a service number beginning with 5 or higher has "hardware" LBA48 (at the prom level), and any software versions 5 or higher have LBA48 "software" at the kernel level.

Any drive with a nominal capacity above 274GB + original capacity requires larger allocation blocks, which you invoke with the -r4 option when you expand.

You also need a larger swap.

#5 ·
classicsat said:
T

Basically and TiVo with a service number beginning with 5 or higher has "hardware" LBA48 (at the prom level), and any software versions 5 or higher have LBA48 "software" at the kernel level.

Any drive with a nominal capacity above 274GB + original capacity requires larger allocation blocks, which you invoke with the -r4 option when you expand.

You also need a larger swap.
My TiVo service number is 240-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and my software version is 7.2.1
I currently have two 120gb drives in, but want to swap for two 300gb+ drives.
Since my service number starts with a 2, not a 5, will it work?

#6 ·
classicsat said:
any software versions 5 or higher have LBA48 "software" at the kernel level.
What the man said :)

My UK TiVo has a serice number of 023[...] but with the 'patched' LBA48 kernel installed I can use drives up to 500GB :D:D

If you have software version 7.x then you already have the LBA48 kernel officially so you don't even need the patch.

#12 ·
Make a backup from the dual drive system with MFSTools include the -s and -f 9999 options in mfsbackup. with that backup you can then re-upgrade to a new larger single or dual drive you just cannot keep the recordings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.