TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was quite possibly the absolute worst piece of television I have seen in my entire life. The acting was bad, the story was bad, everything was bad. I'm really glad ABC didn't pick this piece of garbage up.

I knew it was going to be crap when I saw it was based on a Robert Heinlein short story. I read Stranger in a Strange Land and, unlike every other human being I think, I absolutely hated it. And this had every mark of that same kind of crap.

I think I'll go watch Flash Gordon again to remember what quality TV looks like. :p
 

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Joined
·
11,693 Posts
I thought it was much better than the first two, which were kind of cliched. And how can you not love the elephant?

I'd describe the acting as more broad than bad. This ep was meant to be funny, and I thought it was.

P.S. As far as it being picked up, they keep advertising the next ep as the "Season Finale" not the "Finale" or "Series Finale". Kinda makes me think they do intend to bring it back? :confused:
 

·
I am Groot!
Joined
·
58,123 Posts
pkscout said:
I knew it was going to be crap when I saw it was based on a Robert Heinlein short story. I read Stranger in a Strange Land and, unlike every other human being I think, I absolutely hated it. And this had every mark of that same kind of crap.
Well, that's not entirely fair. Heinlein had two distinct (and long) phases to his career; Stranger in a Strange Land marks the beginning of the second phase. To my mind, the first phase is marked by carefully-plotted, rigorously thought-out stories, and the second by what I call Middle-Aged Hippie Syndrome--when older people thought there was something vaguely cool about the Beat/Hippies lifestyle without actually knowing anything about it. In Heinlein's case, he abandoned everything good about his writing without actually replacing it with something else.

You may get the impression I prefer his first phase...
 

·
MoxiDVR
Joined
·
564 Posts
This one was the first episode I had seen. I guess there was not much advertising for this short series. I was not impressed with this one at all. I have the last one set to record so I guess I will see how that is.

I am a big SciFi fan but this was just lame to me.
 

·
I am Groot!
Joined
·
58,123 Posts
WinBear said:
I thought there were supposed to be 6 or 8 of these, not just 4.
There were six made, and then put on the shelf. When ABC pulled them off the shelf to burn, they only planned to show four.

The network president (I believe) recently complained about the uneven quality of the shows. If these were the four best, I can see why they decided not to show them all...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rob Helmerichs said:
Well, that's not entirely fair. Heinlein had two distinct (and long) phases to his career; Stranger in a Strange Land marks the beginning of the second phase. To my mind, the first phase is marked by carefully-plotted, rigorously thought-out stories, and the second by what I call Middle-Aged Hippie Syndrome--when older people thought there was something vaguely cool about the Beat/Hippies lifestyle without actually knowing anything about it. In Heinlein's case, he abandoned everything good about his writing without actually replacing it with something else.

You may get the impression I prefer his first phase...
I had no idea he had two phases. Stranger in a Strange Land is always touted as his quintessential work, and after I read it I swore off Heinlein all together. Maybe I'll check out pre-Stranger stuff. This episode definitely had the feel of the hippie/beatnick stuff.
 

·
Save the Moderatоr
Joined
·
34,560 Posts
I think the elephant said more about the guy than it did about the elephant. And I think that was the point.

And if I were the 7th richest person in the world, chances would be pretty good I could've bought Jerry from the dog food company... or bought the dog food company itself. But apparently people in the top 10 richest category aren't supposed to have brain cells in the future. :)
 

·
No intent to annoy
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Rob Helmerichs said:
Heinlein had two distinct (and long) phases to his career; Stranger in a Strange Land marks the beginning of the second phase. To my mind, the first phase is marked by carefully-plotted, rigorously thought-out stories, and the second by what I call Middle-Aged Hippie Syndrome--when older people thought there was something vaguely cool about the Beat/Hippies lifestyle without actually knowing anything about it. In Heinlein's case, he abandoned everything good about his writing without actually replacing it with something else.
Bob and Virginia are ROFL, in their graves, at the notion of Heinlein as hippie, middle-aged or not. After SIASL, real hippies used to make the pilgrimage to kneel before the master, and the confrontation between Goldwater-conservative Heinlein and the flower children was quite amusing, according to Virginia's recollections.

Heinlein made his living during most of the early-middle part of his career from "juveniles." While he wrote adult stories as well during this phase, he did not stray too far from an image that the grade school librarians could be confortable with. His wilder sexual tendencies, there from day one, were held in check quite deliberately.

By your theory of his career, his very first novel, unpublished until recently, falls into his middle aged hippie phase as you describe it (during which BTW he was "old," pretty much past middle age by any standard). Doesn't work.

What you may be confused by is the fact that Bob was very ill, mind-numbingly ill, during some portions of the writing of a few of his later novels (he had recovered by the time of "Friday") and the novels during the period are too long and unwieldy. The editing was uncoordinated, sometimes virtually non-existent (Ginny tried to edit one herself, not her proudest moment). It is not the subject matter or the long, freer style he had adopted, but the fact that the works as published are essentially drafts.
 

·
wait.. I did what?
Joined
·
15,341 Posts
pkscout said:
I had no idea he had two phases. Stranger in a Strange Land is always touted as his quintessential work, and after I read it I swore off Heinlein all together. Maybe I'll check out pre-Stranger stuff. This episode definitely had the feel of the hippie/beatnick stuff.
oddball late Heinlein worth a quick and painless read would be Glory Road, and very unlike Stranger, much more "approachable" I always felt that it was a bit closer to his earlier work. (it has a few heavy handed sections.. but they were tolerable)

It's also been a few years since I read it and I could be completely off-base.. it's been known to happen

Diane
 

·
No intent to annoy
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
dianebrat said:
oddball late Heinlein worth a quick and painless read would be Glory Road
Heinlein wrote from roughly 1939 (short stories, first published novel in 1947) to his death in 1988. Glory Road was written in 1963.

It is very interesting blend of his "juvenile" style brushing on more adult themes. But clearly an early work, on balance, if you buy into this "phases" stuff at all.

Heinlein spoke of it as fun to write, and he had no problems with the idea of some of his older Boy Scout readers (he wrote for Boy's Life, among others) sneaking a look.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top