TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20,713 Posts
mplotsker said:
any chance of usb2 external drive support coming to series 2 tivos?

also can i attach a wireless keyboard and mouse to my tivo and use it for quicker input?

michael
Unlikely. Although the upcoming High Def Series 3 unit has a e-SATA external hard drive port.

The TiVo software doesn't pay any attention to keyboards or mice. It's not impossible that some future software update could add that ability, but it's not anything TiVo has talked about.

·
Registered
20,713 Posts
filburt1 said:
I think a cooler solution without so much redundant hardware (all those motherboards/video decoders/CPUs, etc.) would be some sort of modular tuner design where you can just drop in more as needed as previously mentioned. The only downsides:
  • The Ubertivo itself that acccepts all the tuners would probably be expensive and bulky. You can already get a Series2 DT DVR for free with service.
  • By having multiple DVRs, TiVo can charge you service multiple times. Charging per tuner in a single box would be lame given each tuner is still using the same source of data and only one DVR's OS to maintain.
Other possible downsides:
If you supported multiple tuner types there would be a lot of extra software complexity to handle the range of input types and the fact that lineups on each tuner are probably not identical. (Kind of like the S2 DT in its analog + cable box setup but even more-so)

If you provided support for this uberTiVo to control multiple cable boxes the IR blasters would be a pain. Lots of cables to hook up, and IR interference to try to avoid.

And if you don't provide support to control multiple cable boxes, this uberTiVo would be less useful than multiple S2 TiVos.

Also, at some point you have to worry about the number of video stream overloading the hard disk. (Or if you provided for multiple hard disks that you tried to load balance between, worry about overloading the I/O bus on the motherboard or the disk controllers)

If you built in support for HD via cable-cards then you have the mess of building the cable card readers into the tuner module somehow, plus with HD video you would saturate the I/O much faster.

Some of this can be worked around or minimized, but an uberTiVo like you describe wouldn't trivial to create.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.