TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any of these corrected by Series 3?

you can't dub off more than one show - in sequence, such as overnight, because you have to be there to start the next recording. I'll need to clear TIVO before my vacation.

shows will be deleted when TIVO thinks it needs the space to record something new? This is wacked! Lost a lot of shows, last vacation.. Obviously I don't care as much about a new show - compared to a show I haven't deleted yet.

TIVO season pass records only 5 shows of one program, unless you set it to record more of that program, unbelieveable.. This is the default setting, each season pass must be reset!

These seem to be logical and easy fixes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
megazone said:
1. No, still the same.

2. Most people consider this an important feature of TiVo. If you don't want it to automatically delete, that's up to you. You can set Season Passes, etc, as Keep Until I Delete and it won't delete anything to make room. You have always been able to control that.

3. What's to fix? Keep At Most 5 is what TiVo determined most users want as the default, so that's what it is. If you don't like it, change it. It isn't that hard - once you change it, it is changed for that SP forever. When you create a new SP you just set it to what you want - same as Keep Until I Delete.
As an old programmer these default settings seem outlandish to me.

The default should be don't erase anything I've specifically told it to record, obviously, and no limits on anything. Then anyone can reset these if they want their shows to be mindlessly erased or they think they want the recording limits.

No other recording device I know of has ever been configured this way. It's inconvenient and it's dangerous for your data.

One button to make TIVO behave like a normal DVR would nicely overwrite their wrong-headed policy. Uniqueness is good only if it improves data reliability and/or ease of use.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Doh said:
It might not be your preference, but it's hardly outlandish. I certainly don't want to miss a premiere of some new show because I have 15 daily shows I never got around to watching.
Just to be courteous and answer you, neither do I want to miss a new show because I have no time to watch my already saved shows, but you already know that TIVO doesn't allow hands-off sequential off-dubbing, and so overnight 6 or 8 show offloads, for example, are not an option. I'm stuck with saving each old show individually, when I get the time... I might as well be watching them, it's not convenient.

Maybe you remember the SonicBlue RePlay unit which I'm told did allow convenient off-dubbing, and its cache/buffer was only limited by the free space on the HD. So these improvements are possible.

I'm also stuck with having paid a lifetime premium on this old, small unit, so upgrading to a huge HD is not a smart option for me. I would have purchased 5 TIVOs by now if their policy was more encouraging.

As it is I have 5 other DVRs, each of which have different strengths and limitations, but I always have to separately remember to safeguard the data on the TIVO.

No one else in these forums agrees with me much..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.