TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased an older Series 1 TIVO with 3.0 software, and have a working DB500S (been using it for the last 6 months), and yes, they do all they're advertised to do.

Following is info on the TIVO:

Brand: Philips
Series: 1
Software: 3.0-0.1-1-000
IR Controller Version: 00034
IR Database Version: 214
Hard Drive: 120GB

Could you please walk me through the setup for entering the codes? I've found the code (20055) on the compatibility list here (would post the link, but forums won't let me until I have 5 posts) but have not clue on how to actually work the menus to get to where I can enter that code.

I've visited the official TIVO support site (again, can't post link), but it clearly states the menus shown are for versions 7.2 or later, and that, "These screens are not available on earlier software versions."

I've called TIVO, who referred me to Philips (and they don't answer the phone). I've searched this site, and any/all threads on this subject are always hijacked about Dreambox legalities and capabilities.

If anyone could post this information to help this TIVO noob, I'd very much appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
erkme73 said:
and have a working DB500S (been using it for the last 6 months), and yes, they do all they're advertised to do.
If you say so. (I have no idea what that is.)

Anyway, something like Messages & Setup -> Recorder and Phone Setup ->...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dreambox 500S (FTA sat receiver). I'm reluctant to mention this, since so many are distracted about the legalities and capabilities. I really just need to know how to get to the menus that allow me to enter an IR blaster code (i.e. 20055). Stumped for now...

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Well that should do it, but if it happens to be illegal, then I'm sorry I helped.

Fortunately, I still have no clue what we're talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In and of itself, FTA receivers are not illegal, and only allow reception of unencrypted programming from dozens of birds. Once modified, however, it does cross the line. You can read more about it at www-dreamboxfornewbies.net, or search for FTA receivers on google. Thanks again for your help.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
The legalities are that they are often modified to steal encrypted pay services.

The practicalities, if one isn't stealing services, there is little need to have a TiVo control them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts