TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pass the gravy!
16,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand why it has to end but don't ask me to like it! This has been one of the most consistently funny shows I've ever watched. I'll enjoy the reruns for years to come. :(

Link to Comingsoon.net article.

Malcolm in the Middle Ends on May 14
Source: FOX
January 17, 2006

The award-winning comedy Malcolm in the Middle, currently in its seventh season, will celebrate its series finale Sunday, May 14 on FOX. The penultimate episode will mark the series' milestone 150th.

Malcolm in the Middle premiered Jan. 9, 2000, and catapulted this dysfunctional family into television history. The show, cast and crew went on to receive countless awards, nominations and accolades, including the prestigious Peabody Award, six Emmy Awards and a Grammy.

"FOX is proud to have been the home of this groundbreaking comedy," said Peter Liguori, President, Entertainment for FOX. "From its innovative production values to its exceptional writers and cast, this series has helped shape the modern sitcom. We'll miss this hilariously loud and manic - yet somehow relatable and admirable - family."

Malcolm in the Middle revolves around five brothers hell-bent on causing trouble for their parents. Middle child Malcolm(Frankie Muniz) is a regular high school kid trying to navigate his way through his home life and social life. Although Malcolm has a genius IQ, he can't seem to make sense of his family, which includes his outspoken, opinionated mom Lois (Jane Kaczmarek); his dad Hal (Bryan Cranston), who's just a bumbling, big kid at heart; deviant brother Reese (Justin Berfield), who has a penchant for cooking up trouble; Francis (Chris Masterson), the oldest brother, who's willing to move anywhere - as long as it keeps him from moving home; covertly sly Dewey (Erik Per Sullivan); and toddler Jamie (Lukas and James Rodriguez), the youngest member - and scapegoat - of the family.

Malcolm in the Middle continues to feature the signature elements that made it a hit, including talking to viewers, single-camera lunacy, flashbacks and no laugh track. Over the years, the series has hosted numerous award-winning guest stars, including Cloris Leachman, Bea Arthur, Susan Sarandon, Bradley Whitford, Rosanna Arquette, Heidi Klum, Magic Johnson, Christina Ricci, Howie Long, Terry Bradshaw, Jason Alexander and Jesse Jackson.

Malcolm in the Middle is a Regency Television production created by Linwood Boomer and executive-produced by Matthew Carlson. Gary Murphy, Michael Glouberman, Alex Reid, Rob Ulin, Eric Kaplan and Jay Kogen serve as co-executive producers and Linwood Boomer serves as a consultant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ClutchBrake said:
I understand why it has to end but don't ask me to like it! This has been one of the most consistently funny shows I've ever watched. I'll enjoy the reruns for years to come. :(

I can't stand this my favorite show is going off the air. I watched this show every sunday since as long as I can remember. I can't belive it's ending. I was watching and waiting for it to come on tv. I will have to buy the old episodes on dvd.
:(

·
Statistical outlier
17,107 Posts
dswallow said:
Maybe we'll finally see them release DVD sets of seasons 2 through 7.
That probably won't be happening any time soon. Substantial music clearance issues are preventing it :(

·
Purveyor of Idiocy
960 Posts
Good show, consistently funny. But all good things come to an end.

Kudos to them for keeping it good for so long.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,169 Posts
Neenahboy said:
That probably won't be happening any time soon. Substantial music clearance issues are preventing it :(
The last I heard was they had obtained all the music clearances and FOX was just waiting on the right time to release them to maximize profits -- either holding back until a longer syndication run, or waiting until the final season is done and releasing a full-series box set.

·
Not.
10,365 Posts
/extreme bump.

My kids just found this show and are immensely enjoying it.
I ahve a question for a true fan.

Season 4, towards the end of Lois' pregnancy, why is Hal trying to fatten her up?
I am not sure it says, but then again I am only half paying attention.

·
Tell me a joke
7,114 Posts
/extreme bump.

My kids just found this show and are immensely enjoying it.
I ahve a question for a true fan.

Season 4, towards the end of Lois' pregnancy, why is Hal trying to fatten her up?
My 7 year old nice just discovered this too. She loves it.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
IIRC, As she gained weight her butt got bigger, Hal like that(As Hal is a butt man) so he kept feeding her fatty foods(I know he hid the fatty foods in other foods) to make(Or keep) her butt big.

I know she found out(That he was feeding her to get her butt big), but I don't remember how she reacted.

·
Not.
10,365 Posts
The show is on a lot in the background here, so I can not get away from it.
Therefore I hear much of the dialogue sporadically, and many times things are not explained overtly and when I ask my son, he truly has no idea what is actually going on.
This has made me realize it is a well-written show. Offensive, yes, but actually funny.

I love catching up on a show that has this many seasons night after night.
One of the joys of cable television.

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
The show is on a lot in the background here, so I can not get away from it.
Therefore I hear much of the dialogue sporadically, and many times things are not explained overtly and when I ask my son, he truly has no idea what is actually going on.
This has made me realize it is a well-written show. Offensive, yes, but actually funny.

I love catching up on a show that has this many seasons night after night.
One of the joys of cable television.
I don't understand -- does that mean that it's too 'deep' for your young(??) son to understand, so it's a well-written show?

Also, if you really want to catch up on it, rent the DVDs.. since you're missing I'd estimate 5 minutes/episode of the original show by watching it in reruns.

·
Unregistered User
5,697 Posts
IIRC, As she gained weight her butt got bigger, Hal like that(As Hal is a butt man) so he kept feeding her fatty foods(I know he hid the fatty foods in other foods) to make(Or keep) her butt big.

I know she found out(That he was feeding her to get her butt big), but I don't remember how she reacted.
I remember that, too, as being the reason and I don't remember much more than that.

Offensive?

Really?
I wouldn't call it offensive, but I have very young kids and I wouldn't want them watching it. The last thing I need is for them to think that's how they're supposed to act.

·
No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place
3,290 Posts
I don't understand -- does that mean that it's too 'deep' for your young(??) son to understand, so it's a well-written show?

Also, if you really want to catch up on it, rent the DVDs.. since you're missing I'd estimate 5 minutes/episode of the original show by watching it in reruns.
Only the first season is on DVD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts