TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When last night's World Series game 7 went to extra innings and a rain delay, it was late and everyone in my house was going to bed. So I did what I often do: I let TiVo continue to record the game and I would watch the conclusion first thing in the morning. Of course, I would avoid the morning newspaper and Internet, so I wouldn't learn the outcome. So a little after 6 am I turned on the TV to watch the exciting conclusion to what was an epic game seven. And there on the main TiVo Central page is the message "Cubs Win!". WTF TiVo!?! Don't you know that people time shift shows, and spoilers are not appreciated? Some people even time shift sporting events. Am I the only one who does this?

World Font Screenshot Electronic device Rectangle

·
Registered
776 Posts
This is why like having a button programmed on my universal remote to go DIRECTLY to the recordings listing. Cuts out a couple steps in the process too.

But yea, not sure what Tivo was thinking here.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
How do you let it continue to record past the pre-programmed or user programmed end time? Even with end time padding it would still run long (rain delay/extra innings) unless it was padded to the longest possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I added 3 hours to the stop time, so yes I got the whole game and the post-game coverage. I watch most sports time shifted, even if it's only enough to skip commercials.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,698 Posts
On this same topic, I posted the following in a related thread:

I managed to record both game 6 and 7 despite the last-minute updating of the TiVo/Rovi guide, which is inexcusable for a sports event of this magnitude and undoubtedly led to many users missing the recording or having to resort to awkward workarounds such as setting up a well-padded manual recording of what they knew to be incorrect program information.

Then, just to add insult to injury, I saw that TiVo Central had a button at the bottom of the menu this morning congratulating the Cubs as World Series winners (and pointing to supposedly related programming material, such as a Bill Murray movie :rolleyes:). Fortunately for me, I did not go to TiVo Central until I had already finished watching the game this morning or I would have been royally pissed at the spoiler.

Come on, TiVo, you're better than that!:mad:

·
Registered
991 Posts
My experience was identical to Zinfandel's. I went to bed when the rain delay started and got spoiled when I went to watch it at 6:30 the next morning. It's not life or death, but it was very poor planning on TiVo's part. I also had an inkling that the Cubs won because I awake and heard some sort of fracas outside about 12:45-12:50 when the game ended.

·
Cord Cutter
7,493 Posts
I listened to it via ESPN Radio on the app while laying in bed. It's basically impossible to avoid spoilers for major games like that these days.

Reactions: PSU_Sudzi

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,698 Posts
I listened to it via ESPN Radio on the app while laying in bed. It's basically impossible to avoid spoilers for major games like that these days.
It's not impossible at all, but it does require a concerted effort and a limited window of opportunity (you can't exactly expect to delay watching the game for days unless you live in an isolation pod;)).

As a life-long Cubs fan with 60 years of frustration and disappointment under my belt, I studiously avoided spoilers long enough to watch my recording of game 7 the next morning without knowing how it would end. This despite TiVo/Rovi's best efforts to ruin the suspense (I did not look at the TiVo Central screen beforehand) and my thick-skulled sister's ignoring my admonitions not to divulge the results by sending me a congratulatory email within minutes of the last out.:eek: But I knew better than to open a web browser, or read my email, or listen to a TV or radio broadcast before having watched the game.

There are downsides to the pervasiveness of modern mass communications.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tivo Series 2 and 3 did not have the information about the Cubs win on the front screen. Roamio did. Therefore, it was possible to not have the results on the front page. One advantage of older technology.

·
Notable Member
117,564 Posts
LOL at this thread. Who packs it in after watching MOST of the game? Sheesh.
Yeah. For a World Series Game 7? Where one of the teams is the Cubs ? And the other team is a team that hasn't won it in many decades either?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.