TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised I'm making the first post. The episode literally brought me back to the 1960ies, with the use of a Church key to open a can of beer. The one riveting moment was seeing Helen, either a single mom or a divorcee, and how stigmatized she was. Reminded me of a divorcee growing up in the 1960ies, with the Catholic Church leading the way by barring this woman from receiving the sacraments. Very attractive woman. This episode did bring up some painful memories.

·
TV-holic, improving
2,278 Posts
I thought Don was going to at least chew that guy out for smacking his son in his own house, but he didn't. What a time...

One thing I didn't quite understand was how unsurprised everyone seemed about the head of the household just leaving the party and not coming back. Where did they think he was going?

·
Smiley Averse
1,154 Posts
This show is geting it right, down to the littlest details (church key on the string in the garage). The overeducated housewives are scarily sad.

·
Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs
7,792 Posts
Kind of a slow episode, but I was able to enjoy it nonetheless because of all the period details. Don Draper is really turning out to be a selfish jerk now (as if he wasn't already).

I couldn't figure out why the store owner didn't kick the sleeping store clerk.

I got a kick out of the walking divorced lady and how confused the other women were over why she walked.

Loved the pregnant woman drinking and smoking. Oy! :p

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I liked the slapping other people's kids. That needs to be brought back!! :p

Did I catch that the military aquaintance on the train call Don, 'Dick Whitman?'
Stolen Identity and PTSD? Explains a lot.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
"Last time I saw one of those, I think I was throwing a grenade into it."

I wish the show would focus more on the workplace, like it did in the first episode. I feel like as soon as it gets out of there the brakes go on fast. The nostalgia is certainly interesting but I'm not sure I want to watch a soap opera set in the late '50s/early '60s.

·
Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs
7,792 Posts
5thcrewman said:
.............Did I catch that the military aquaintance on the train call Don, 'Dick Whitman?'
Stolen Identity and PTSD? Explains a lot.
I didn't really understand that. Don Draper didn't seem to either. :confused:

·
Registered
286 Posts
TiVo'Brien said:
During the war his name was Richard 'Dick' Whitman.
Why he changed his name is the big mystery I guess?

·
Coney Island Small
32,720 Posts
c3po33 said:
During the war his name was Richard 'Dick' Whitman.
Why he changed his name is the big mystery I guess?
Exactly. I love that they waited until the third episode to let this nugget drop.

The reasons behind it and the inevitability of others finding out could get very interesting.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
They gave clues about a troubling experience in the military back in the first ep when Don was looking at (his?) a Purple Heart medal in his office and then as he was napping you could hear faint combat sounds.

·
Registered
264 Posts
TiVo'Brien said:
I think he understood all too well. Draper was sufficiently evasive in his responses... He said only that he lived "upstate", didn't reciprocate by offering a business card of his own to the *army buddy* and was vague/noncommittal answering all the guy's questions.

·
Meh.
41,259 Posts
Seems like every adult male on this show is a total jerk. Kind of hard to keep an audience when 90% of the cast is unlikeable.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,970 Posts
jschuur said:
I thought Don was going to at least chew that guy out for smacking his son in his own house, but he didn't.....
Just watched this ep. That wasn't Don or Don's kid in that scene. It was someone else's who was at the party. It was the kid's father, though, who came up right afterward, but I'm not sure he actually saw the guy slap his son.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts