TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the latest TiVo newsletter

"(Confidential to my Mac buddies: I know, I know. But this announcement, while still PC-specific, bodes very well. Hang in there—we are targeting mid-2006 for Mac support for TivoToGo™!)"

As a Mac user, the lack of TiVo2Go for the Mac and the delays used to concern me... no longer... transfer times over networks are so SLOW and the files for even a 1/2 hour show so HUGE (even at Basic) that it simply doesn't matter anymore! :)

I'm actually more interested now in what's coming vis-a-vis Yahoo and direct web surfin' from the box.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Have this now with TiVoTool and my Dtivos. Don't really care if they ever decide to get off their asses and write a Mac version of their own crippleware.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Since it will never work on a Dtivo, I had no choice but to hack.

·
Banned
4,721 Posts
Arcady said:
Have this now with TiVoTool and my Dtivos. Don't really care if they ever decide to get off their asses and write a Mac version of their own crippleware.
Crippleware ?

Mine works fine.

Why do you say crippleware?

Maybe they just don't want to get off their asses and write a Mac version because of the low percent of Macs in the world.

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
Well, they are writing one for Macintosh and purportedly Apple is fixing their Mpeg2 support so everything will be cool for joe average user.

By crippleware, I think he was sniping at Tivo's use of DRM. But Tivo's DRM is a speedbump and can be dealt with easily. TivoTool and other apps aren't exactly perfect either. That's why the tool's author still hasn't granted it a major release number yet still 0.5x or something last I checked.

It's good work and Mac users should look at if if interested in DirecTivo stuff. For SA2's, I personally don't see the big deal about having a cheap windows box on the network, but some people want to be pure- ok- use TivoTool if you don't need TTG's TivoBack.

But I have come very close if not over the line of discussing extraction.

·
Banned
4,721 Posts
Ohhh.....extraction talk...ohhhhhh

Go buy a TV tuner card for your computer. Most of them have an s-video input. Hook-up the output of the TiVo, directv receiver, or whatever to it and record all the stuff you want to. It's not true digital extraction but it's pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Say, can you use the El Gato TV system for the Mac to record to any external HD?

In other words, get a large ext. hard drive, hook up the El Gato and record to it. Our internal hard drives are pretty small--well the free space that is!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.