TiVo Community Forum banner
141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,234 Posts
The Elf-stone was also made by Celebrimbor who gave it to Galadriel who gave it to her daughter Celebrían, Elrond's wife (yes, Galadriel is Elrond's mother-in-law) who gave it to their daughter, Arwen, who gave it to Aragorn.
I'm mistaken... the Elf-stone was actually made by Enerdhil.

·
Notable Member
96,082 Posts
Sauron (in disguise) and Celebrimbor together made the 9 rings for men and 7 rings for dwarves before Celebrimbor made the 3 elf rings. Sauron never touched the 3, though they were made with the knowledge Sauron shared with Celebrimbor. After being 'discovered', Sauron snuck off to Mount Doom to make the 1 by himself. As soon as he put it on, the elves with the 3 knew it and removed and hid them immediately.
Ok.. thanks for this.. This does seem to confirm that LOTR:ROP Amazon show is changing up things a bit with the way the rings were made (the order) Since I have not read the books, I am not sure I care too much. But I'm still not totally sure if its even out of step with the Peter Jackson LOTR trilogy.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
4,940 Posts
The LOTR trilogy don't deal with this detail. Even the earliest flashback at the start of the first movie only deals with the end of the Second Age, which is the war against Sauron after all the rings have been forged and handed out, the One Ring is created, etc. I would expect that it is where this series intends to end up (not the season but the whole series).

It's true that things may be out of order a bit but I don't know how specific Tolkien was about the details of the forging. I don't know if it matters which rings were forged first, as long as all the rings are handed out before Sauron forges the One Ring, and that he doesn't know about (or, all about) the three Elven rings so the elves are warned of what's happening when the One Ring is used.

·
Premium Member
7,234 Posts
Agreed. Not a big deal if Sauron makes/hands out the other rings later. Not a big deal, imho, if Gil-galad/Gladriel/Elrond each take the three rings.

I'm more bothered by the whole "Mithril" magic thing, but I'm willing to overlook that too since I like Durin so much. ;)

·
Deregistered Snoozer
4,940 Posts
Yes, in actual Tolkien mithril is very valuable, and it was used during the forging of the Elven ring that Galadriel wore (mostly for decoration I believe), but it was basically just a very rare metal and didn't have the sort of mystical powers this show is attributing to it where it could "save the Elves". It was sometimes combined in alloys that had special properties, such as being visible only by moon- or star-light. Also the origin story of mithril given in the show appears nowhere in Tolkien that I'm aware of, although it is true that it's found almost nowhere else other than Khazad-dum.

·
Notable Member
96,082 Posts
The LOTR trilogy don't deal with this detail. Even the earliest flashback at the start of the first movie only deals with the end of the Second Age, which is the war against Sauron after all the rings have been forged and handed out, the One Ring is created, etc. I would expect that it is where this series intends to end up (not the season but the whole series).

It's true that things may be out of order a bit but I don't know how specific Tolkien was about the details of the forging. I don't know if it matters which rings were forged first, as long as all the rings are handed out before Sauron forges the One Ring, and that he doesn't know about (or, all about) the three Elven rings so the elves are warned of what's happening when the One Ring is used.
OK.. Cool.. Yes. in LOTR:FOTR, the nature of their being three sets of rings (Elves, Dwarves, and Men) plus the One RIng to rule them all is told in a pretty simple, easy to understand way without too much detail. For the sake of that trilogy of movies, it's good enough.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Some definite fiddling of the timeline, but I knew that going in. It's a shame they didn't use Sauron's actual nom de gurre Annatar when dealing with the Elves, but that would've given away the story immediately.

Overall I liked the series despite the liberties taken with regards to Tolkien's lore.

I look forward to season 2.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I found this interesting article about the differences between the series and Tolkien's writings.

Also how long before Amazon starts selling replicas of the Elven rings? The way they were displayed sure looked like a marketing shot to me.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
I found this interesting article about the differences between the series and Tolkien's writings.
Thanks, interesting article and comparisons. I knew there were a lot of changes, especially in the timelines. But it made sense to me, so they could get the most exciting (best?) events of this Age told with a single set of characters. And it's done so well, that even us accuracy buffs respect the entertainment value of the way they've told it.

As versus, for example, Foundation. Which took so many liberties with series vs writings that it became a different story.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·

Prime Video’s The Lord of the Rings series announced seven new recurring cast members for season two.

Among the additions, there’s also a shakeup: The fan-favorite role of Orc leader Adar has been recast. Game of Thrones veteran Joseph Mawle has been replaced by Sam Hazeldine (Peaky Blinders) in the role.

·
TDL shepherd
17,849 Posts
"“To date, season one is the top original series for Prime Video in every region and has been viewed by over 100 million people worldwide..."

Seems less impressive with the recent news that we've passed 8 billion in global population. (1.25% have viewed RoP.)

141 - 152 of 152 Posts