TiVo Community Forum banner
121 - 140 of 152 Posts

· Meh.
41,566 Posts
Nori's goodbye scene may have been the longest in cinematic history.

Galadriel didn't tell Elrond and Celebrimbor that Halbrand was really Sauron?

I didn't get the reasoning as to why they decided to forge three rings. Maybe I missed it but it seemed like they just did it with no explanation.

I thought it was odd that when the artist woman yelled "Help!" about the king that nobody seemed to immediately show up.

· Electrocuted by TiVo
4,646 Posts
Nori's goodbye scene may have been the longest in cinematic history.

I didn't get the reasoning as to why they decided to forge three rings. Maybe I missed it but it seemed like they just did it with no explanation.

I thought it was odd that when the artist woman yelled "Help!" about the king that nobody seemed to immediately show up.
Three rings for balance. One for rule, two in opposition, and three for balance. I suppose so that a majority would prevent one person from getting out of hand. Also I suspected Halbrand from the beginning and once he headed toward Eregion I was certain. I'm glad the "wizard" has left the Harfoots and yes that goodbye scene was totally filler. We learned that Nori's friend will be the new pathfinder and that she has her families blessing. It also looks like they are headed through the Gap of Rohan.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Phenomenal season finale today. They did a masterful job of taking all these disparate episodes, and BINDing them into one finale.

It was easy to pre-call the Stranger as Istar. Many of us did that. But Halbrand as Sauron? I vacillated back and forth, before deciding he wasn't. Good job of showing us how he did it. And Galadriel was the one who saved him, her own worst enemy, and brought him back.

We never saw what happened when Earien unveiled the Palantir (something for next season).

Galadriel has some chutzpah. Even after her encounter with the Dark Side, she forges ahead with making rings. Three, not one. We don't know how yet, but at some point, the Dark Lord binds them.

Do we think the Halbrand made a ring before he slipped away? Or did something to the Mithril?

This is the second most-watched streaming show, only behind Cobra Kai.

Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne;
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them;
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

· TDL shepherd
17,752 Posts
They definitely offered a rationalization in the dialogue [50:44]: “one will always corrupt; two will divide,” in Galadriel’s words, so 3 were needed for “balance,” offered Celebrimbor.

I just don’t know if that was Galadriel’s actual thinking or just a rationalization to get a third made; tough to say given her secrecy, as you noted. (I suspect she had just determined that she would need a level boost, herself, to take down Sauron.)

· TDL shepherd
17,752 Posts
We don't know how yet, but at some point, the Dark Lord binds them.

Do we think the Halbrand made a ring before he slipped away? Or did something to the Mithril?
The Internet. A computer can’t get hacked if it isn’t connected to the Internet. (poetic license claimed)

Tapping into the “Unseen World” will allow someone with better knowledge of that world’s workings to take control. The mithril is likely the back door, since Halbrand’s “gift,” as it was dramatically characterized, was the suggestion to combine the mithril with alloys … to ensure that the mithril was used in the making of the Elven rings.

—-
edit: or maybe it’s something in the makeup of the alloys used, since mithril likely wouldn’t be used in the other rings; also wondering how the spinning of the pot and creation of individual ingots from the separated molten metals wouldn’t be a factor

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Did I miss this?
What I meant (said poorly) is the way he was Sauron all season. We just missed it, or chose to overlook it. He never lied once. He often asked for forgiveness. He even apologized for killing her brother. But to her it seemed a generic "I'm sorry for your loss", but in hindsight, he was literally apologizing.

· TDL shepherd
17,752 Posts
It was distracting that she didn’t immediately tell them.

But if Galadriel had decided that she needed the power of what was being crafted for herself, to be able to take down Sauron, she probably didn’t want to risk the objects not being completed. She just short-sightedly failed to see Sauron’s plan; though one would think she’d be suspicious of Sauron having assisted the elves in creating objects supposedly beneficial to the elves.

· TDL shepherd
17,752 Posts
The mithril is likely the back door, since Halbrand’s “gift,” as it was dramatically characterized, was the suggestion to combine the mithril with alloys … to ensure that the mithril was used in the making of the Elven rings.
Heh, just noticed the nice visual effect as Elrond let the mithril drop into the melting pot.

Fluid Wood Amber Fire Heat

Nice touch.

· Notable Member
93,519 Posts
I'm still kind of confused about the Elves forging the rings.

Really, the only thing I know about the rings is the prologue to LOTR:FOTR. Whaat we get told by Galadriel.. Three rings for elves. Seven for the Dwarves. Nine for Men.. The way it appears to me, at least, is that there was some level of coordination/collaboration between the three races to make these rings.. And more or less at the same basic time. But here we are at end of LOTR:ROP season one.. The elves make three rings.. Just sort like "out of the blue". They DID get some guidance from guy calling himself Hallbrad. Thats cool. But who are the three elven kings? I know of Gil Galad.. But who else is there? IIRC, he was not present at the forging we saw in this episode. I know that at some point Galadriel gets one of the rings (we see it in LOTR:FOTR)

whats really going on? Is the show changing up the story? Or is it following the writings of Tolkein. Writings I just don't know about?

· Old Man Vicious
Old Man Vicious
12,324 Posts
IIRC in LOTR, Galadriel had one and Arwen had one that she gifted to Aragorn. Not sure where the third was.

The series is based on Tolkein's writings. Not sure if it's the Silmarillion or not.

· Notable Member
93,519 Posts
IIRC in LOTR, Galadriel had one and Arwen had one that she gifted to Aragorn. Not sure where the third was.

The series is based on Tolkein's writings. Not sure if it's the Silmarillion or not.
The series can't reference the Silmarillion. Amazon doesn't have the rights.

i just want to know if the LOTR book(s) say who were the initial receivers of the three rings for the elven kings.

· Premium Member
7,301 Posts
Gil-galad, Círdan, and Galadriel. Círdan's ring later went to Gandalf, and Gil-galad's ring went to Elrond.

The Elf-stone was also made by Celebrimbor who gave it to Galadriel who gave it to her daughter Celebrían, Elrond's wife (yes, Galadriel is Elrond's mother-in-law) who gave it to their daughter, Arwen, who gave it to Aragorn.

· Premium Member
7,301 Posts
Sauron (in disguise) and Celebrimbor together made the 9 rings for men and 7 rings for dwarves before Celebrimbor made the 3 elf rings. Sauron never touched the 3, though they were made with the knowledge Sauron shared with Celebrimbor. After being 'discovered', Sauron snuck off to Mount Doom to make the 1 by himself. As soon as he put it on, the elves with the 3 knew it and removed and hid them immediately.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Sauron (in disguise) and Celebrimbor together made the 9 rings for men and 7 rings for dwarves before Celebrimbor made the 3 elf rings. Sauron never touched the 3, though they were made with the knowledge Sauron shared with Celebrimbor. After being 'discovered', Sauron snuck off to Mount Doom to make the 1 by himself. As soon as he put it on, the elves with the 3 knew it and removed and hid them immediately.
Just to clarify, this is the way Toklien said it. But obviously, that's not the way this story is going, since the Dwarf & Men rings haven't been made yet.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts