TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Cat God
17,871 Posts
I think (and that's the first sign I'm probably wrong), but as I recall Sauron tricked others (elves? dwarves?) into making the rings, and putting their own power/magic into them. Then he had one ring made "to rule them all".
Edit: Spoilerized this just in case as the games used the books as source material.

I thought
Sauron tricked Celebrimbor into making them, which would tie with him showing up in this show and having a big project he’s working on.

I haven’t read the books. I got that from playing the Shadow of Mordor games.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
My thought was that Valinor has fallen to the Big Bad since the elves left it. And since traffic seems to be one way, the elves have no way of knowing that everybody who "goes back home" is doomed.

Just a hunch, though...
Based on the way there appeared to be some magical passage into Valinor, I wondered if it was like Valhalla from Norse mythology, where brave warriors get to spend eternity. The king had to bless them with the right to enter Valinor, and then the magical light barrier opens and lets their ship in.

Am I way off?

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Based on the way there appeared to be some magical passage into Valinor, I wondered if it was like Valhalla from Norse mythology, where brave warriors get to spend eternity. The king had to bless them with the right to enter Valinor, and then the magical light barrier opens and lets their ship in.

Am I way off?
Well, it's their homeland...

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
Well, it's their homeland...
Yes, I remember Galadriel's narration saying that was where she was born and where the elves lived originally. I just wasn't sure if there was some magical reason why they had to leave and which now only allows certain of them to return.

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
I just wasn't sure if there was some magical reason why they had to leave and which now only allows certain of them to return.
IIRC, the story indicated that they left Valinor to hunt/fight the baddies; but this makes one wonder why they're not ALL going home when the Big Elf holds the ceremony honoring Galadriel and her crew for showing that all traces had been eliminated.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
IIRC, the story indicated that they left Valinor to hunt/fight the baddies; but this makes one wonder why they're not ALL going home when the Big Elf holds the ceremony honoring Galadriel and her crew for showing that all traces had been eliminated.
Well, the Big Elf is lying...he knows full well that all traces have not been eliminated.

Not sure how he's selling staying behind to the others, though...

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts
Didn't the show start with the Elves living in their homeland? The first sequence with the girl making the boat was all at "home".

Some of them only left to fight the bad guys.

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
More a question for the Middle Earth experts… the show seems to be emphasing “The Stranger’s” affinity with fire,
which was kinda Gandalf’s speciality. But I thought that was partly due to him sporting one of the 3 Elven rings of power, the one associated with fire — though he wouldn’t acquire it until later in the timeline relative to his arrival via The Fireball Express. (Galadriel held another, and Elrond the third; right?)

·
Meh.
43,263 Posts
I hope the mysterious stranger figures out his wizard properties soon because the Harfoot subplot is pretty snooze worthy compared to the other subplots.

The name "Isildur" kept ringing a bell so I had to look it up.

Have orcs always been hurt by sunlight?

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
The name "Isildur" kept ringing a bell so I had to look it up.
The rapid increase in characters has been the bane of my viewing experience.

I hope the mysterious stranger figures out his wizard properties soon because the Harfoot subplot is pretty snooze worthy compared to the other subplots.
Yeah, seems a bit of a pander to the LotR/Hobbit film crowd, wanting to keep hobbits(ish) in the narrative.

·
Cat God
17,871 Posts
I don’t know about the near-vampiric nature of the sun burning them, I’d always taken it as them feeling more powerful in the dark and demoralized/cowardly in the light.
In the movies it was mentioned orcs couldn’t stand the sunlight which is why Saruman created the uruk-hai which didn’t have that weakness. I’m assuming that came from the books.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I like the fact that I don't feel the need to disinfect my brain after watching this fantasy medieval epic drama unlike another current fantasy medieval epic drama.
In all fairness, this one is aimed at family, the other is about family :oops:

But yeah, there is a definite brain reset needed between watching the two.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Three Eps in and I'm enjoying it, although i have to have a phone or tablet handy to figure out how this times to the main LoTR story. I figured as soon as I saw what he Orcs we doing to Southlands that they were
creating Mordor

I loved seeing the Dwarves and Moria in it's heyday. I wonder if we'll see Ents anytime. I half expected the tree that Arindor had to chop down to come to life.

The Harfoots a interesting as proto-hobbits, and I'm more than 90% sure the Stranger is Olórin/Gandalf. Nori is quite obviously an ancestor of the Baggins line.

I'm interested to see where this goes. The show is absolutly gorgeous.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts