TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Meh.
43,263 Posts
I liked both opening episodes. Maybe a lot didn't happen but the table has to get set before you can eat (metaphorically speaking).

I chuckled that Galadriel and the elves were sailing to Valinor in a ship with no seats.

For now, I'm assuming the Stranger is Gandolf but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Radagast. A total guess on my part.

I've seen references that some "fans" are bent out of shape that there are brown people in Middle Earth on this show.

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
I'm surprised that the humans don't like the elves all that much. Is it because they are "foreigners"?
Not just foreigners...superior (immortal, for one thing, and judging from their fighting abilities, super-powered by human standards) foreigners who are there to watch over them from their mountaintop castle and make sure they don't misbehave.
Story indicated that the humans being watched over (their ancestors, anyway) had sided with the dark side, as it were, in the previous wars. Humans more than a little annoyed at still being monitored so many years later. (What was it, hundreds of years? A few thousand?)

I liked it. I know some are saying it moved slowly, but I liked the pacing. There's lots of story to tell, and I'm here for the journey.
Concur. I really enjoyed the first couple episodes, though perhaps owing to only bare familiarity with the original text. I have no basis for critiquing the show for variance from the source. My viewing experience was likely also colored by having watched the first few episodes of the new Thrones series, previously; Rings of Power seemed downright Michael Bay-inspired, comparatively.

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
For now, I'm assuming the Stranger is Gandolf but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Radagast. A total guess on my part.
Yeah, seems obvious he's a wizard, but could be any of them. Though... the series has already linked to the Jackson movies by centering on Galadriel and Elrond, so it could easily be Gandalf -- especially given his landing among the Harfoots.

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts
I didn't even think it could be anyone other than Gandalf.

Add me to the list of people who love the show so far.

Reactions: krkaufman

·
Cat God
17,871 Posts
I just figured it was Gandalf.

Yeah, seems obvious he's a wizard, but could be any of them. Though... the series has already linked to the Jackson movies by centering on Galadriel and Elrond, so it could easily be Gandalf -- especially given his landing among the Harfoots.
The series and the movies are completely separate other than they are both based on the books. The series doesn’t have the rights to reference the movies directly.

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
The series and the movies are completely separate other than they are both based on the books. The series doesn’t have the rights to reference the movies directly.
Thinking of it more from a viewer's perspective. Centering on characters familiar to the viewer from the movies will facilitate pulling the viewers into this story. (Whether or not those same characters are being portrayed accurately relative to the source material is another matter.)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
Is this show based on a lesser-known work of Tolkien’s, or is this simply all new material created for this show, but based in the world that Tolkien created?

Overall, I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes, but I’m not as engaged as I am after the first couple episodes of House of the Dragon. But obviously this show has a much harder lift trying to establish all the disparate characters and settings. I think they’re doing as good as could be expected so far.

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
I believe it's based on the appendices from Lord of the Rings.
That's what this article says.

showrunners Patrick McKay and John D. Payne didn’t even have The Silmarillion or other posthumously-published Tolkien writings to draw from. Instead, since Amazon only owns the TV rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, the production is based on the appendices to the latter.

·
Electrocuted by TiVo
5,204 Posts
LIke Rob said, I thought the elves were being sent to their deaths until I found the section where they showed Valinor on the map. From that I pieced together that there must be a protective field around Valinor to keep people out. From that same map it did look like hundreds of miles of ocean between Valinor and Middle Earth, but they also had the elves standing aboard ship the entire journey. Maybe that protective field isn't so far out. Still it's crazy that anyone would be able to swim the distance back or even consider it. These elves are certainly superhuman if they can do that, yet Elrond tired, or quit, when breaking rocks.

Second, I've read the Silmarilian and though my memory of that tome is sketchy I was thought that Sauron forged all the rings and tricked the three races into wearing them. Setting him up as a villain so early I can't see anyone taking them from him unless he's somehow taken control of the people that actually forge them.

In the first episode they were going from place to place so quickly at times I had to stop and google the location just to get my bearings. Unlike GoT where we have very little mythology to draw upon LoTR has a rich mythology. They've gone back so far, introduced Harfoots (small Hobbits) which I suppose are Gollum's people and set them up as very secretive and super sneaky. The big people walk right through their town and don't notice them.

I did like the effects and the scenes, getting to see Lindon was cool and it makes me wonder what remains of that area in the LoTR timeline. That's a large piece of real estate with big cities to have just vanished.

At any rate since I made it to the second episode I'm hooked for now, more so than the GoT prequel, and look forward to seeing more.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Like Rob said, I thought the elves were being sent to their deaths until I found the section where they showed Valinor on the map. From that I pieced together that there must be a protective field around Valinor to keep people out. From that same map it did look like hundreds of miles of ocean between Valinor and Middle Earth, but they also had the elves standing aboard ship the entire journey. Maybe that protective field isn't so far out. Still it's crazy that anyone would be able to swim the distance back or even consider it. These elves are certainly superhuman if they can do that, yet Elrond tired, or quit, when breaking rocks.
My thought was that Valinor has fallen to the Big Bad since the elves left it. And since traffic seems to be one way, the elves have no way of knowing that everybody who "goes back home" is doomed.

Just a hunch, though...

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Second, I've read the Silmarilian and though my memory of that tome is sketchy I was thought that Sauron forged all the rings and tricked the three races into wearing them. Setting him up as a villain so early I can't see anyone taking them from him unless he's somehow taken control of the people that actually forge them.

In the first episode they were going from place to place so quickly at times I had to stop and google the location just to get my bearings.
To both your comments...

I think (and that's the first sign I'm probably wrong), but as I recall Sauron tricked others (elves? dwarves?) into making the rings, and putting their own power/magic into them. Then he had one ring made "to rule them all".

Agree on locations. I downloaded a couple maps of Middle Earth, so I could follow everything. One in particular, showed ME as it exists during TRoP, versus LotR, which I know fairly well. It was really cool to see them compared, as there are lots of changes. The maps really helped me understand the story better.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts