TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
I'm surprised that the humans don't like the elves all that much. Is it because they are "foreigners"?
Not just foreigners...superior (immortal, for one thing, and judging from their fighting abilities, super-powered by human standards) foreigners who are there to watch over them from their mountaintop castle and make sure they don't misbehave.
Story indicated that the humans being watched over (their ancestors, anyway) had sided with the dark side, as it were, in the previous wars. Humans more than a little annoyed at still being monitored so many years later. (What was it, hundreds of years? A few thousand?)

I liked it. I know some are saying it moved slowly, but I liked the pacing. There's lots of story to tell, and I'm here for the journey.
Concur. I really enjoyed the first couple episodes, though perhaps owing to only bare familiarity with the original text. I have no basis for critiquing the show for variance from the source. My viewing experience was likely also colored by having watched the first few episodes of the new Thrones series, previously; Rings of Power seemed downright Michael Bay-inspired, comparatively.

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
For now, I'm assuming the Stranger is Gandolf but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Radagast. A total guess on my part.
Yeah, seems obvious he's a wizard, but could be any of them. Though... the series has already linked to the Jackson movies by centering on Galadriel and Elrond, so it could easily be Gandalf -- especially given his landing among the Harfoots.

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
The series and the movies are completely separate other than they are both based on the books. The series doesn’t have the rights to reference the movies directly.
Thinking of it more from a viewer's perspective. Centering on characters familiar to the viewer from the movies will facilitate pulling the viewers into this story. (Whether or not those same characters are being portrayed accurately relative to the source material is another matter.)

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
I believe it's based on the appendices from Lord of the Rings.
That's what this article says.

showrunners Patrick McKay and John D. Payne didn’t even have The Silmarillion or other posthumously-published Tolkien writings to draw from. Instead, since Amazon only owns the TV rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, the production is based on the appendices to the latter.

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
I just wasn't sure if there was some magical reason why they had to leave and which now only allows certain of them to return.
IIRC, the story indicated that they left Valinor to hunt/fight the baddies; but this makes one wonder why they're not ALL going home when the Big Elf holds the ceremony honoring Galadriel and her crew for showing that all traces had been eliminated.

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
More a question for the Middle Earth experts… the show seems to be emphasing “The Stranger’s” affinity with fire,
which was kinda Gandalf’s speciality. But I thought that was partly due to him sporting one of the 3 Elven rings of power, the one associated with fire — though he wouldn’t acquire it until later in the timeline relative to his arrival via The Fireball Express. (Galadriel held another, and Elrond the third; right?)

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
The name "Isildur" kept ringing a bell so I had to look it up.
The rapid increase in characters has been the bane of my viewing experience.

I hope the mysterious stranger figures out his wizard properties soon because the Harfoot subplot is pretty snooze worthy compared to the other subplots.
Yeah, seems a bit of a pander to the LotR/Hobbit film crowd, wanting to keep hobbits(ish) in the narrative.

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
I think the Queen saw the leaves falling and realized this was what she saw in her dream, and that if she sent Galadriel away her kingdom would be destroyed. So she called her back, but it wasn't shown to us so that it could be dramatically revealed in that meeting.
I thought there was some concurrent voiceover explaining that the falling leaves could be interpreted as “tears of the Valar,” those who’d gifted them Numenor … and the leaves falling (tears) were interpreted as their displeasure at Galadriel being sent away and Numenor failing to aid in the fight against Sauron.

edit: What I don’t get is how there’d be any leaves left on the trees given how many had fallen. ;)

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
I would normally assume Isildur is dead having been in a burning building when it collapsed, but considering Adar survived having a watch tower dropped on him, I’m sure Isildur is fine.
Re: Isildur health … Horse scene was tell that Isildur is fine. Horse wouldn’t be dragged away back to Numenor, sensing that Isildur needs him.
My guess is that Isildur survived since his mind reading horse ran back towards the destroyed town.
Right, exactly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts