TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,020 Posts
Is this show based on a lesser-known work of Tolkien’s, or is this simply all new material created for this show, but based in the world that Tolkien created?

Overall, I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes, but I’m not as engaged as I am after the first couple episodes of House of the Dragon. But obviously this show has a much harder lift trying to establish all the disparate characters and settings. I think they’re doing as good as could be expected so far.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,020 Posts
My thought was that Valinor has fallen to the Big Bad since the elves left it. And since traffic seems to be one way, the elves have no way of knowing that everybody who "goes back home" is doomed.

Just a hunch, though...
Based on the way there appeared to be some magical passage into Valinor, I wondered if it was like Valhalla from Norse mythology, where brave warriors get to spend eternity. The king had to bless them with the right to enter Valinor, and then the magical light barrier opens and lets their ship in.

Am I way off?

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,020 Posts
Well, it's their homeland...
Yes, I remember Galadriel's narration saying that was where she was born and where the elves lived originally. I just wasn't sure if there was some magical reason why they had to leave and which now only allows certain of them to return.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,020 Posts
One thing confused me: First they show Galadriel leaving the docks, then the leaves start falling, then the Queen Regent calls a meeting and Galadriel is there. Are we to assume she was called back, but not shown to us? Or did I miss something?
I think the Queen saw the leaves falling and realized this was what she saw in her dream, and that if she sent Galadriel away her kingdom would be destroyed. So she called her back, but it wasn't shown to us so that it could be dramatically revealed in that meeting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts