TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
Considering the season is a quarter over already, not much has happened. Also they are reportedly spending 60 million an episode, but unless they are overpaying for CGI I’m not sure where all that money is going.

I think the best description so far of the series was a “glorified screensaver”. It looks pretty, but not much is actually happening. Hopefully things pick up the pace quickly.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
Two one-hour episodes or one two-hour episode would not have mattered. It still would have taken me 4+ sittings to get through that slog. It had better pick up, and quickly.
One of the reviews mentioned that this is not the kind of show you can binge watch because it’s hard to make it through one episode let alone a whole season.

I’ll keep watching it, but it’s at the back of my queue unless the pace picks up dramatically.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
Just the opposite for me. Unless episode 3 picks up I may just wait and binge it all over a long weekend. I want to watch it but it quite forgettable
I kept checking how much time was left on the first episode and then when I saw episode 2 was available I audibly groaned. I don’t think I could do more than 2 at a time.

That could change if things get more interesting, which hopefully it does.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
I just figured it was Gandalf.

Yeah, seems obvious he's a wizard, but could be any of them. Though... the series has already linked to the Jackson movies by centering on Galadriel and Elrond, so it could easily be Gandalf -- especially given his landing among the Harfoots.
The series and the movies are completely separate other than they are both based on the books. The series doesn’t have the rights to reference the movies directly.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
I think (and that's the first sign I'm probably wrong), but as I recall Sauron tricked others (elves? dwarves?) into making the rings, and putting their own power/magic into them. Then he had one ring made "to rule them all".
Edit: Spoilerized this just in case as the games used the books as source material.

I thought
Sauron tricked Celebrimbor into making them, which would tie with him showing up in this show and having a big project he’s working on.

I haven’t read the books. I got that from playing the Shadow of Mordor games.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
I don’t know about the near-vampiric nature of the sun burning them, I’d always taken it as them feeling more powerful in the dark and demoralized/cowardly in the light.
In the movies it was mentioned orcs couldn’t stand the sunlight which is why Saruman created the uruk-hai which didn’t have that weakness. I’m assuming that came from the books.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
I enjoyed the action in this episode, but there were a lot of head scratchers.

A tower is dropped on the main bad guy and his human henchman. Both obviously survive somehow.

The human army is riding in bright daylight. The orcs attack the village at night. Okay I figure there’s a time difference, yet when the riders arrive it’s still bright daylight as they are riding in and when it pans to the orcs it’s still night. Only when the humans actually start fighting hand to hand is it look like early morning.

I haven't started watching this yet. IMDB is giving the show in the low 7s except for the last episode. This surprises me a lot given the monetary investment. Do you guys agree with that consensus?
I think they spent all the money on this last episode.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
I would normally assume Isildur is dead having been in a burning building when it collapsed, but considering Adar survived having a watch tower dropped on him, I’m sure Isildur is fine.

Cartoon Facial expression Vertebrate Organ Organism

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
Part of the problem making a sequel is you know who lives or dies. Like In Better Call Saul, you knew certain characters had to live to be in Breaking Bad.

Unless they are going to completely rewrite history and canon, certain characters have to live, as they are in the LotR events.
My thought was that maybe someone takes the name of Isildur and effectively replaces the original one.

It seems both very easy and very hard to kill characters in the story depending on how important they are. Not important and they trip and fall and die. Really important characters and they can survive a volcanic eruption, a pyroclastic cloud (which reaches temperatures of 1000 degrees Celsius), a fire and building collapse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts