TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I liked it. I know some are saying it moved slowly, but I liked the pacing. There's lots of story to tell, and I'm here for the journey.

So the Stranger... all signs point towards a 🧙‍♂️. Perhaps the first (did we ever know who was the first wizard?). I'm trying to recall all the human-like species from LOTR, and I think we've seen most of them. Except wizards.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still on the fence. Have not watched yet. But every time I launch the Prime app, the trailer starts and it just does not grab me.
If you do finally get motivated, I suggest you watch both episodes, back to back. They should have been a single two hour premier.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Second, I've read the Silmarilian and though my memory of that tome is sketchy I was thought that Sauron forged all the rings and tricked the three races into wearing them. Setting him up as a villain so early I can't see anyone taking them from him unless he's somehow taken control of the people that actually forge them.

In the first episode they were going from place to place so quickly at times I had to stop and google the location just to get my bearings.
To both your comments...

I think (and that's the first sign I'm probably wrong), but as I recall Sauron tricked others (elves? dwarves?) into making the rings, and putting their own power/magic into them. Then he had one ring made "to rule them all".

Agree on locations. I downloaded a couple maps of Middle Earth, so I could follow everything. One in particular, showed ME as it exists during TRoP, versus LotR, which I know fairly well. It was really cool to see them compared, as there are lots of changes. The maps really helped me understand the story better.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I like the fact that I don't feel the need to disinfect my brain after watching this fantasy medieval epic drama unlike another current fantasy medieval epic drama.
In all fairness, this one is aimed at family, the other is about family :oops:

But yeah, there is a definite brain reset needed between watching the two.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I thought this week was a much better episode. Last week was good, but I felt bored at times. This week kept moving.

Mithril! And Isildur is off to war!

One thing confused me: First they show Galadriel leaving the docks, then the leaves start falling, then the Queen Regent calls a meeting and Galadriel is there. Are we to assume she was called back, but not shown to us? Or did I miss something?

PS: Edit: Don't think it's TB. He doesn't fit the timeline. Still sticking with a wizard.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Excellent episode today. I'm not sure if it was actually better (it was!), or if it just took time for all the pieces to fall into place, and now it's rolling along. The stories seemed so disparate before, and now they all are starting to tie together. Was this the first episode with every plot line covered?

The Wanderer, when he hit his fist on the ground, created the same type "wave" that Gandalf has done in the past. Hmm... 🤔. And what's up with those weird characters tracking him?

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
They made sure to show us that horse shaking off its fall, and getting back up and running. Preempting any claims of animal cruelty.

Yes, that was Orodruin, which became Mount Doom when it exploded. I guess this was the event that changed that pastoral valley into the Mordor we know today.

"Udûn" is the name of the valley just inside the Black Gate (from LOTR3) in Mordor.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
However nobody has answered my question on if the numbers are spot on yet? I haven’t watched it yet so I have no idea!
I'll answer again. Nothing's happened in the last 18 hours to make me change this post...
I'm enjoying it. Well worth the weekly watch.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So whats your 0 to 10 rating?
8, on my picky scale (I don't give out 9s & 10s cheaply). It started 7, but has really picked up the last 2-3 episodes.

But I'm a fan of LOTR, and this type of fantasy. Even when I see something that makes me roll my eyes a tad, such as (vague to keep somewhat spoiler free for you) the cavalry arriving in the nick of time, I can pass that off as servicing the story. And I love getting to see these characters develop--Adar, Galadriel, the Stranger, etc--there is so much to look forward to.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Looks like Halbrand is a King without a country now...unless he's Sauron.
I've been going back & forth on this. I'll think he is Sauron, then something happens and I'll go, nah can't be.

I don't think he is. I think either we'll see Sauron in the season finale, or they'll hold off for another season.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I would normally assume Isildur is dead
Part of the problem making a sequel is you know who lives or dies. Like In Better Call Saul, you knew certain characters had to live to be in Breaking Bad.

Unless they are going to completely rewrite history and canon, certain characters have to live, as they are in the LotR events.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Phenomenal season finale today. They did a masterful job of taking all these disparate episodes, and BINDing them into one finale.

It was easy to pre-call the Stranger as Istar. Many of us did that. But Halbrand as Sauron? I vacillated back and forth, before deciding he wasn't. Good job of showing us how he did it. And Galadriel was the one who saved him, her own worst enemy, and brought him back.

We never saw what happened when Earien unveiled the Palantir (something for next season).

Galadriel has some chutzpah. Even after her encounter with the Dark Side, she forges ahead with making rings. Three, not one. We don't know how yet, but at some point, the Dark Lord binds them.

Do we think the Halbrand made a ring before he slipped away? Or did something to the Mithril?

This is the second most-watched streaming show, only behind Cobra Kai.

Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne;
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them;
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Did I miss this?
What I meant (said poorly) is the way he was Sauron all season. We just missed it, or chose to overlook it. He never lied once. He often asked for forgiveness. He even apologized for killing her brother. But to her it seemed a generic "I'm sorry for your loss", but in hindsight, he was literally apologizing.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Sauron (in disguise) and Celebrimbor together made the 9 rings for men and 7 rings for dwarves before Celebrimbor made the 3 elf rings. Sauron never touched the 3, though they were made with the knowledge Sauron shared with Celebrimbor. After being 'discovered', Sauron snuck off to Mount Doom to make the 1 by himself. As soon as he put it on, the elves with the 3 knew it and removed and hid them immediately.
Just to clarify, this is the way Toklien said it. But obviously, that's not the way this story is going, since the Dwarf & Men rings haven't been made yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts